Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Webinspect license

we convert the license from Concurrent to Standalone, will multiple users be able to use/access the Webinspect tool in the standalone mode also.

How is concurrent mode different from Standalone mode in webinspect.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Swati:

The major difference between Concurrent and Stand-alone that we normally teach and discuss at length in the Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) - Software Education class on WebInspect is how the product responds to scans, updates and related items.

With the Concurrent User Model (either via a License Infrastructure Manager aka LIM) or against the centralized License and Smart Update server it simply means that only authorized instance of the application can run new scans and receive updates from HPE.  Thus when a license becomes available a new machine can get updates and conduct new scans.  It also means that that you can have a 24/7 operation without needing a license for every instance.

With the Stand-alone each application needs to have a valid license to get the updates and conduct new scans.  Each instance has to have its own license to get these updates or conduct scans.

Using the WI Tools like the Compliance Manager Macro Record is not affected by the license themselves.  This allows members of the team to do select functions and help the overall group accomplish their tasks.

I hope this helps some... If you have more questions please let me know or check out our available Public Training Courses for the product in the Software Education - Enterprise Security Products Catalog.

Joel E. Natt CISSP, CRISC
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Software Education
Global Exam/Certification Development Manager – Hewlett Packard Enterprise Software Education

Trainer – Hewlett Packard Enterprise Software Education – Atalla, Fortify, TippingPoint

Get Certified: http://certification-learning.hpe.com/tr/index.html

Read About HPE Software Education www.hpe.com/blog/education

Joel E. Natt, CISSP CRISC
Global Exam/Certification Development Manager – Hewlett Packard Enterprise Software Education
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Joel, Thanks for the valuable information.

Also,as I understand, we can have multiple users utilizing the WI in standalone mode?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Joel, Thanks for the information. As mentioned by you, the component Compliance Manager Macro Record  is not affected by Standalone/Concurrent mode. However, i would like to know if we can have multiple users utilize the WI tool if the license is converted from Concurrent to Standalone.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The WebInspect Named User license model is locked to the current user who activated it on the specific Windows machine where they activated it.  Other users on that machine will not be able to use the license.  If they launch the UI, it will ask them for a license.  The activated user may Self-Deactivate the license in order to transfer it to another user or workstation.  This is done under the Edit menu > Application Settings > License panel.  If that user failed to Self-Deactivate before a termination or leave of absence, then the Fortify Support team can help you by processing a Soft Deactivation on the license system back-end.

The Concurrent User license permits the Activation Token (license) to be applied to a license pool.  This supports multiple part-time users and multiple installations of WebInspect as they will dynamically lease and return the license by opening and closing WebInspect.  This offers a greater freedom of use and so that is why the Concurrent User license is slightly more in cost than the Named User license.

Furthermore, the license server ("HP LIM") that maintains the license pool may be configured to "Detach" one or more of the available licenses in a license pool for a select number of days (up to 30).  This would permit a user who leased a license to hold that license and utilize it on their laptop as they travel away form the home network where the HP LIM server resides.  During this time period, they would operate as if they had a Named User license, and the license pool would be decremented by that one license, being held in reserve.  At the end of the detachment period, the LIM makes that seat available in the license pool once again, and the WebInspect on that remote laptop ceases to be activated.  This Detached License feature is helpful in supporting security staff who must travel to remote portions of the corporate network, or perhaps to a security to training conference.

For full details on the system requirements an installation of the HP LIM license server, see the WebInspect Installation Guide document.  Primarily, the LIM operates as a IIS web service with a SQL CE back-end, and it is free for use, but only operates with WebInspect Concurrent User Activation Tokens.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have completed installation of Concurrent mode of Webinspect and LIM on the Win 2012server. However, my colleague who logs in from his account on the same Win 2012 server is being asked to activate the webinspect again. How can he go ahead and use the tool on which i have already installed after logging to the server with my credentials.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Swati:

As ​ commented the Concurrent Licenses is aligned with the LIM solution.  But one item that needs to occur with the WI is that they need to be configured at installation to look to the LIM for the license.  Additionally the LIM does have to have available Licenses to assign for both the Installation/Activation period and the actual usage period. That the individual is needing the license.

When I teach the WebInspect Training and we discuss the LIM feature, function and purposes I always mention that LIM is ideal for environments that are 24/7 and have a follow the sun operational mindset.  But if you are using the License or just have your WI instance with the License assigned operational at the time, then your associate might have issues in general.

Now with your specific problem... Might be how the Server is operating as I normally recommend that the LIM application be on a separate Server from where the WI Clients reside.  I will need to run some tests in my training environment to see if this could be part of your issue.

As I mentioned before based on your questions I would encourage you to check out what training we have offered for the WI program.  If you need some further help on that I would be willing to work with you offline from this form to answer any training related questions so you can discuss with your leadership attending one of our classes.

Warmest Regards,

Trainer – Hewlett Packard Enterprise Software Education – Atalla, Fortify, TippingPoint

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Joel, Thanks for the clarification. As per my understanding, if i am working with WI installed on the server, at the same time, my colleague wont be able to use the tool. But i would like to know if at any point of time, there is only one user logged in other than me into the server with his own credentials. How will he be able to access the tool. We tried this once and the tool is prompting to activate the license which is already done by me. Yes, definitely we can work offline on this. Please provide me your email ID or you can send it to my ID so that we can connect to discuss more on this.

Also, the LIM application is installed on the same server where the WI agent resides. So, hope everything works fine with my colleague. Please let know when can we discuss on this.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Swati:

The number of concurrent users is dictated by pool of licenses you have.  So if you only have a single license it is one person at a time, but if you have multiply licenses then more people at a time.

Assuming you have multiply licenses and not a single license as I assumed from the entire chain and discussion, then the other individual would log in to the server and launch WI without foreseeable issue (always can have configuration or network issues not accounted for).

The tool will always on first connect of an account (e.g. Domain Account) to WI prompt for activation.  We simply have to point to the LIM as part of the initial user setup for that individuals account.

On the LIM location is that the same as the WI Client or the Runtime Agent for WI?

Thanks,

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.