vtimoney1
Visitor.

ssc fpr purge

Has anyone performed a purge on their ssc DB? I have succesfully via fortifyclient but am unsure where to perform the 'server shrink' that fortify tech support told me to? also I have to rebuild the indexes - anyone know what tables I do this on? I'm running 16.10 on Oracle 12g. For those interested, here's how to purge via the cmd line with a .bat file:

set un=admin

set pw=password

set scandate=01012016

set sscurl=https://hostname/ssc

for /F %%i in ('fortifyclient listProjectVersions -url
%sscurl% -user %un% -password %pw% ^| findstr /r "^[0-9][0-9]*"') do
fortifyclient purgeProjectVersion -projectVersionID %%i -scanDate %scandate%
-url %sscurl% -user %un% -password %pw%

The above script will go through each project
version and perform a purge. Please note that the scan date is not the same as
the upload date.

Thanks,

VT

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
richard.bri.smi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ssc fpr purge

Hi Vincent,

The shrink support would have been referring to would have been for your entire SSC database.  We could technically target specific tables, but there is very little to be gained by doing so.  Shrinking is only necessary if you're concerned with reclaiming whitespace from your database (to free physical disk space).  In fact, there is an argument to be made for not performing the shrink in terms of performance.  That being said, the following link provides some detail

Reclaiming Wasted Space

With regard to rebuilding indexes, this is something that should be performed regularly - regardless of whether a shrink has been run.  I generally advise once per week, although this can be very different for different customers depending upon SSC usage characteristics, as well as depending upon how advanced the customer's DBA wishes to get with their index maintenance scripts.  The link below provides some information, but at a very basic level, I recommend rebuilding all indexes, rather than picking and choosing. Your DBA may very well have more advanced scripts that they run to determine when an index needs to be rebuilt based on fragmentation and size.

Altering Indexes

Finally, I should note that both the shrink and rebuilding indexes will result in DB load that will impact SSC performance.  You should avoid performing this maintenance during heavy usage times, and also avoid from around 11pm - 1am.  By default, this window is when SSC will be executing metrics calculations which incurs DB load that can result in blocking.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.