wyldkao Absent Member.
Absent Member.

n32fde.exe use almost CPU & HD resource

Hi All
I am testing ZCM 11.2 new function , I enable FDE function and assign it to 2 workstation (one is IBM T43 ;another is VM ). when I check it, Yes , it seem work fine (Disk encryption). But I find a critical issue that FDE program (n32fde.exe) take almost workstation's resource. when I enable it , the workstation (physical/Virtual) almost run it about one hour, and user could not work his job normally(partition C only has 3 GB data, it spent average 60% reource and work over 50 mins).
the function is good design.but the performance is very low.
How could I change the FDE program's property to low that make it could not affect user daily work.

wyldkao
0 Likes
9 Replies
bbeachem Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: n32fde.exe use almost CPU & HD resource

A couple of comments:
1) "Bulk" encryption is the most intense part that only happens until the disk is initially encrypted. After that point you should not see much of any performance issues.
2) One way to counteract this initial encryption time is to use the setting in the FDE policy for "used sectors only". This will shorten the initial encryption as much as possible, while any NEW files saved to disk will automatically be encrypted.
3) A final "test option" is to edit the following (or create the following reg key): HKLM\SOFTWARE\Novell-FDE\Parameters
the key value is:ThrottleEncryption it is a REG_SZ value with the contents of: "Normal", "Idle", "High", "RealTime", BelowNormal", "AboveNormal" of course the double quotes are not needed in the reg key string value....these are the values of a ProcessPriorityClass structure
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bbeachem,

do we have this in the docs, Brent?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
wyldkao Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Bbeachem
Thanks your great information.
I check my FDE policy, I find the "Encrypt only the used sector of the drive" are default enable. So in my lab, the FDE Policy need 40 mins for encrypt 3.5G data.My Testing VM spec is single virtual Processor /512MB/20GB...it is common workstation specification of Enterprise Company,If they are still using XP OS.

wencheng
0 Likes
bbeachem Absent Member.
Absent Member.

40 min for 3.5 GB seems reasonable given the VM/Machine's hardware specifications. Again, this should only be this CPU intensive during the initial, bulk encryption.
0 Likes
bbeachem Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Internal docs are being made around this, but eventually we want this as a policy option for easier mgmt/control.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bbeachem,

nice

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
wyldkao Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HI Both
I try to test the parameter, but it has some problem. When I add it before asign FDE Policy, and then assign it...it seem still run on "Normal" (I set value is "Idle"). I try to reboot some times...it still running "Normal".
And initial FDE indeed make workstation performance low~~~my NB is Lenovo R400 (P8400/4GB/SATA 320GB), it work very slow now~~~~(HD always running)

wyld
0 Likes
Highlighted
wyldkao Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi all
I check again...when I set the string , it indeed change n32fde.exe's run level,but only one instance. total instance of n32fde.exe are 4, others still "Normal", and running one is "Normal".

wyldkao
0 Likes
bbeachem Absent Member.
Absent Member.

okay.. Well this was only a "temporary work around" anyway. This will be addressed once we've made it a part of the policy control.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.