Rehtael Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Search Indexing

Jump to solution

With the move to Lithium SaaS, is it Khoros or Micro Focus that are responsible for search index updating?

I've seen a couple of URL's slowly start to show up in searches since the Cool Solution move, but there's still a lot of legacy and not a huge amount of current in the indexes so far.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Search Indexing

Jump to solution

I talked to our account rep who talked to the SEO expert at Khoros.  He took a look at our community and said it would probably help if we went to thread level sitemap so I put in a request to do so.    Man, I sure wish you would rejoin the KP program.  🙂  https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Knowledge-Partner-Program/ct-p/KnowledgePartners

Just curious:  Why the name change from ScorpionSting to Rehtael?  (What does Rehtael mean anyway?)  I can change that if you want. 

--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
13 Replies
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Khoros does it all on the back end.  We have no control over the search indexing.   Do you have an example of one that doesn't show up in search?    - Kim

--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sorry, I probably should have been slightly clearer.... Not in the in-site search, Google's

0 Likes
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Khoros dynamically creates the sitemap:   https://community.microfocus.com/sitemap_nodes.xml   (from https://community.microfocus.com/sitemap.xml) 

--
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hmmm...not very well too.

They're only the top nodes, not the actual content (such as Tips & Information). It then relies on crawling the subordinate links to update index.

Didn't the old site use to bundle a complete set of URL's and submit?

Google always seemed to be pretty instant with search results, but now it looks like its going to take quite a bit of time to get into Google.

Khoros should really be utilising Sitemap Indexes for the https://community.microfocus.com/sitemap.xml then each node (i.e. https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Welcome/ct-p/welcome_to_the_community) should be a Sitemap of its complete content.

0 Likes
Community Manager

Jump to solution

vBulletin used a series of gzip files with the URLs for the sitemap.   It does seem Khoros is lacking in that regard

--
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

*sigh* Bum!

Is there an Lithium Idea logged to change it?

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hmmm.....:

https://community.khoros.com/t5/Strategy/lithium-sitemap/m-p/503579

https://community.khoros.com/t5/Li-Discussions/sitemap-of-community/m-p/356164

Apparently, there is a checkbox somewhere you missed 😉

The Lithium Sitemap uses a single sitemap domain (/sitemap.xml) for both threaded- and node-level sitemaps. For node-level granularity, crawlers are fed the basic skeleton of the community structure rather than a map to every post and reply. When thread-level granularity is enabled, the sitemap includes a link to a threaded file to which crawlers are redirected. Lithium also supports sitemaps for images and videos.

0 Likes
Community Manager

Jump to solution

No checkbox missed,   Changes like that have to go through Khoros support.   They recommend sites with a large number of nodes (like we have) use node level sitemaps and smaller sites use thread level.   

--
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

They do partially contradict themselved by saying:

Thread-level sitemaps tend to be a good solution for communities where content moves around a lot or there’s a lot of daily activity.

0 Likes
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I talked to our account rep who talked to the SEO expert at Khoros.  He took a look at our community and said it would probably help if we went to thread level sitemap so I put in a request to do so.    Man, I sure wish you would rejoin the KP program.  🙂  https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Knowledge-Partner-Program/ct-p/KnowledgePartners

Just curious:  Why the name change from ScorpionSting to Rehtael?  (What does Rehtael mean anyway?)  I can change that if you want. 

--
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ha! I'm just not on NetIQ product set anymore, so KP just doesn't seem right.

*begin rant* NetIQ really is a dead product in this region except for a couple (literally) of places that hang onto it. MF would need to completley change the licensing model and wipe out the reps here and get people who are enthusiastic about the product, can sell the product, know how to "love" the customer, etc.. I just face palm when I see the competitors waltz in and sell while the dreary and drap MF crew just cower in the corner with the license bill in their outstretched hand. *end rant*

As for name change, I get bored easily 😂 and you don't really want to know what the new one means.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Threading is in and on....hopefully Google results should quickly start to be accurate.

Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Rehtael wrote:

Threading is in and on....hopefully Google results should quickly start to be accurate.

Fingers crossed.  BTW, I fixed your signature for you.   The HR tag was taking too much vertical space.  

--
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.