Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Separation between posts and certain styling feedback

Separation of posts in topics:

The separation between posts are very hard to see. Sure it's fine if you are looking at a topic or two, but for some of us that reads a large amount of topics and utilizes the forums a lot, the massive amount of white is really hard on the eyes + it makes it harder to quickly see the separation between posts.

Example from any random topic:

image.png

There is plenty of ways to make it stand out a bit. For example you can wrap the whole post with a square around each posts, and make the lines just a few pixel thicker (or bolder).

Having another background color would also help if that is not possible, where the left and right side of the page is microfocus blue or something, while the main column in the middle with the posts stays white.

Worst case scenario, maybe making just the existing line thicker and bolder is also possible.

Top menu bar takes up way too much space:

There is plenty of good things with the new UI, and the only main point i would say that I have issues with, is the large amount of space taken up by static information, giving the user so little space to both write and read things on the forum.

If you move the language, link, notification and user icon down tot he same grey line as the search bar and the rest, you at least get some more space to play with. There is also plenty of javascript ways to hide the main menu totally while scrolling (appearing when you scroll upwards again), or able to manually hide it by clicking a button, would be awesome if possible at some time in the future!.

Documentation page product separation:

Would it be possible to create button like separation on the documentation page, similar to what you now have on the product pages? Examples below:

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/ArcSight-Product-Documentation/ct-p/productdocs

and

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Security/ct-p/Protect724 (product choices)

image.pngCompared to this:

https://community.softwaregrp.com/image.png

Icons not really needed of course, but some separation of text would surely be handy.

Separation in general:

I think the rest of the separation things could just go into this catchall category. In general there is very much white, while no separation of content, or lists of contents (like the newsfeed or anything else with multiple contents in a list). Would be great to see some separation on this in the future if you feel it would be useful!.

Favicon:

Favicon seems to be missing on pages like when you are viewing a specific topic. For people with lots of tabs open, it is quite hard to find out which tab is the community one, as people (including me) often use the icon to differentiate between tabs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
0 Likes
5 Replies
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Separation between posts and certain styling feedback

Thanks for the feedback.  I've already asked the designer to make the separation line between posts more bold.  Top menu bar was a designer/team decision.  Maybe we can look at hiding it with javascript in the future after the dust settles from the big change.  I'll also see what I can do to get a separation between gray bar selections.  I've already got Lithium working on the favicon issue.    Thanks again. - Kim

--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Community Manager

FYI the boxes you see on the home page with the main category names are static and manually defined.  All the content on sub category pages in the gray bar area is dynamic based on the sub-nodes under that category.

--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good to know! I still think we could change the styling for the automatic generation to separate each page a bit better?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
Community Manager

Separator line is now a darker shade so it shows up more.

--
0 Likes
Community Manager

@Marius2 take a look at a neighborhood/product page now.  Both blue and gray banner areas have been reduced in size, plus separation of products/nodes is now in place.   Mouse over a product:   https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Security/ct-p/Protect724

--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.