mmccaffe Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

new forum format not good

Jump to solution

This new format for the forums is not working for me.  It is junk.

I find it un-usable and I do not like using it.  

If this is the junk Micro Focus  wants to use, then I am starting my migration from Micro Focus plan.

I like browsing topics and this Lithium crap is just annoying.

-Marty-

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Betreff: new forum format not good

Jump to solution

@obscurityPrivacy 

If you wish to provide feedback where it will be seen by those who can act on it please do it here:

General Feedback and Suggestions

As I pointed out in a previous post, you should begin a new thread for each new issue so that way they can be assigned to the appropriate individuals for resolution. 

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
21 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: new forum format not good

Jump to solution

What parts are not working for you? or is it the challenge of seeing where things are?

As one who came from the NNTP side of things on the Novell Forums, it is certainly a big change, and one that is ongoing. It took a while for me to get the swing of how this format works, but once I did, it got a whole lot easier even though we are prodding (with nurf bats at the moment) to fix a number of issues as the dust settles from the migrations (one left to go, then all the MF communities are together).  While I am not happy losing NNTP as an option, I've always considered that a secondary issue to the products themselves.  There is a new and different power in this new home of ours, give it a chance and let us know what your specific challenges are so that we can help you through them and get fixed anything that is actually broken.

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
obscurityPrivacy Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution
You asked what is wrong?
*I add a 'like' to the original post. After a few seconds I get a notification that I have added a like!?!? WTF?!?!
*I dont need a picture/avatar at the posts.
*I dont need this idiotical 'bages' for each activity. I am not a child!
*I hate 3rd party JavaScript. You are a IT-Company. Don't akt as a tailor ...
*I got lost in this large mostly empty pages.
* Who decide to print dark grey on low wihte?

Maybe this forum is good for MF to add value from the users, but from my PoV it is uncomfortable and I dont like to use it.

Sorry for my harsh words, but this 'Forum' does bother me ...
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution
Just now ...
I have a new question. I get "Ask a Question or Start a Discussion" / Type your subject here.
I do so and get a few post that seems to be related to my subject. I choose one post to read. (I am unable to do this in a new browser tab, so I have to read this in the original tab.) When go back my entries in 'Put your subject here' are gon ... WTF!?!?
I have to start from the beginning ... OMG
benjaminhare Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
The badges do seem a bit condescending, although I applaud the idea.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

* for the 'like', I bet the notification was that you earned a badge,  those die down as you do more.
* that 3rd party script is one of the things we are working to get rid of.
* The "Experts" kept claiming that all that white space is a 'best practice', We've been beating them up about it and have managed to get some reclaimed with more to come once the last migrations settle down

re avatars, badges, and that whole low contrast look.  well the first two are apparently a requirement for being inclusive of the younger generations, part of the whole gamification of things.  The low contrast look is something we are still fighting against as just because many of the young ones can easily differentiate them, it is a scourge on way to many sites that we just have to keep fighting against. (said as someone who hasn't needed reading glasses, so far, I see the signs they are coming)

This is a work in progress and it will improve.   Use it for what you need and in time it will get better. Not all your concerns will be met, but we will see what we can do, and in the mean time keep a  quote (that just got tweeted around) in mind.
“If you dislike change, you're going to dislike irrelevance even more.” — Gen Shinseki

___
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

ouch,  that is a problem.   Not sure how we can fix it, but I will bring in up.

a work around for now is to right click and open in a new tab, or keep your text in an open NotePad session.

___
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

when "Ask a Question or Start a Discussion" and seeing the suggested posts below,

the "More about this topic..." allows a separate tab, at least for me in Firefox.  Please see if this works for you or describe how it yours is different.

___
0 Likes
mmccaffe Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thanks for the feedback!

But I dislike anyone quoting this ""If you dislike change, you're going to dislike irrelevance even more." - Gen Shinseki" LOL

It is an excuse used for poorly executed changes, since few complain about better change.

This new system seems good for interactive communication, but less good for knowledge base since it does not favor browsing historical topics for knowledge, which may be again for the younger generation that does not store knowledge in their heads, but is reliant on Google for storing knowledge and memory since it has existed most of their lives.

Before putting something in production I like to see what others before me have encountered so that I have a good base of knowledge, comfort, and confidence in the product/solution because I will be supporting it for a long time.

-Marty-

0 Likes
pvaiq6167 Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

It seems like they are trying to make their forum usable for smartphone users.  The old design, wasn't capable of that.  Please remember, I am not a MircoFocus employee and am only making assumptions.

That being said, I agree. This is a professional forum and not for children. We do not need and or want all the "bells and whistles".  We are also professionals and do not appreciate the idea of tracking our activities on the internet, for security reasons (amongst others).  It is understandable that companies want some of the data-mining / marketing money and I'm assuming that MicroFocus has outsourced some of their support forums, etc.. and part of the deal might be the tracking? If that is good or not, only time can tell. From a bookkeepers point of view outsourcing is great, from a customer satifaction point of view, not so much.

MicroFocus also has a rather large product pallette and therefore they seem to be wanting to streamline some of their services.  So changes are understandable.

I'm not making excuses, just trying to provide a little light on the subject.

greiner Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
i missed also the functionality from the old board, to be able to see the new request in all Forums since last connect!
cg
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

@greiner wrote:
i missed also the functionality from the old board, to be able to see the new request in all Forums since last connect!
cg

You can, sort of...

Because the Micro Focus portfolio now contains over three hundred products there had to be a consolidation and reorganization of the forums in the vBulletin system. For example, this OES User Discussion forum replaces the multiple OES forums that used to reside in vBulletin.

While you cannot "see the new request in all Forums since last connect!", I'm not sure that you would really want to do that. You can, however, do that with specific forums. Take this forum, for example:

1. Go to the OES User Discussion forum home page.
  2. On the right hand side, if you scroll down a bit, you will see a section titled Unread topics. This shows a few of the topics you haven't yet read.
  3. At the end of the list there is a View All link. That should give you what you want.

When the posts were migrated from vBulletin, they all appeared as unread. That didn't help matters much so here's what you have to do:

1. Click the blue "Options" drop-down at the top right of that same page.
  2. Select "Mark all as Read"

Now, each time you return to that page you should only see new posts.

There are other ways you can be notified:

• You can subscribe to a forum and receive an email containing the post each time someone posts.
  • You can setup an RSS feed. How well this works for you depends a lot on the particular RSS extension you use with your browser.

_____
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Finding UNREAD posts has additional options available to you.

_____
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,
I did not found a place to do suggestions so I try to place it here:
I seach the forum for ZENworks (Configuration Management). Going to Community Home and try all patterns ... nothing!
Then I found the seach item and use it. Yeah there is a forum for ZENworks it is under 'Security'. ... Wait, I have looked in these tree ... check again ... indeed ... When I go to 'Security' there is no Entry for ZENworks ... (have a look to the ScreenShot)SC_MF-Forum-Security.pngWhat should this say to me? But, now I am able to add a ScreenShot to the community ...

Brave new world ...

... and btw ... as you see I use the german language for the forum. But this is completly useless because all posts are english. There is a lot of code that can be eliminated 😉

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

A problem with the menu.  It is being worked on.  In the meantime, you can get to all things ZENworks with this link:  https://community.microfocus.com/t5/ZENworks/ct-p/ZENworks

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.