Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

nntp access

Hi,

what are the parameters to access posts on the new community site via NNTP?

Norbert

13 Replies
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: nntp access

Hi Norbert,

Short answer:  none

Long answer:  We've had our nntp servers running and connecting to our vBulletin community since 2000.  Since then, our NNTP product vendor has dropped support for NNTP servers, as have almost all other vendors.  There are a couple of opensource NNTP server software instances available, but nobody is doing any support or enhancements to them.   NNTP, though a great collaboration protocol, is almost a dead protocol.  Lithium, the company that makes this community platform doesn't support it.   Looking at the statistics from our vBulletin community, we have only about 5% of users that use NNTP.  Put all of that together and the decision was made to drop the NNTP interface in this new communtiy site.   

Personally, I think that's sad because I really like interacting via NNTP.  There are just too many obstacles to keep it viable for our community.  Sorry about that.    

There are a couple of good things, however, that mitigate this inconvenience.   In this community site, there are a number of RSS options for reading without having to actually visit this site.  Another good thing is that you can subscribe to forums and/or individual posts which sends you an email with any updates.   You can respond directy from the email without having to visit this site.  

--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Kim,

> only about 5% of users use NNTP
And how many of the total answers in the forums are from these 5%? I myself use web-interfaces only for occasional searching. I don't engage in communities that can't be accessed from a native desktop app.

> Another good thing is that you can subscribe to forums and/or individual posts which sends you an email with any updates
Does that mean it will basically work like a mailing list?

Regards
Norbert
0 Likes
Community Manager

Good point.   A much higher percentage of the answers come from NNTP.  Unfortunately with no NNTP vendor support and Lithium not supporting an NNTP connection, there is nothing we can do. 

Yes, using subscriptions and email, the community can act much like a mailing list. 

--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Kim,

for it to work as a mailing list, we'd need some proper headers instead of just "From: no-reply@microfocus.com":

To: Example Product <example@lists.novell.com>
Precedence: list
Reply-To: Example Product <hpemicro.prod|...@reply01.lithium.com>
List-Id: Example Product <example.lists.novell.com>
Sender: example <example-bounces@lists.novell.com>

Especially the List-id is required to sort posts into folders.

Norbert

0 Likes
Community Manager

That will be something to look into after we've finished our migration projects.

--
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi Kim,

What ever the excuse is, not to have nntp, it still makes it more difficult to use this "forum". I personally don't like this form as you are required to be online all the time, which is not always possible.

And the mailing list ... until it's available we don't know if it will work.

Loosing NNTP is not a step forward, it's a leap backwards.

Casper

0 Likes
Community Manager

No argument from me, but it's the way it is.   As for mailing lists, You can subscribe to any forum or discussion and have the information come right to your mailbox.  You can also replly to messages via email.   There's also RSS feeds available on every page if you are interested in just reading without having to wait for web pages to load.

--
0 Likes
dcbib Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

So the servers nntp.novell.com are really dead? To bad, I had added them to my GroupWise, and it was really easy to see, if there were any interesting posts.

0 Likes
Community Manager

@dcbib yes, the NNTP servers are really dead.  FYI for ease of reading, similar to NNTP, we have RSS feeds available on all areas like the GroupWise User Discussions and GroupWise Tips & Information areas.  Go to OPTIONS and look there.  You can also subscribe at a forum and/or discussion level and reply via email if desired:

2019-06-27 09_13_40-GroupWise User Discussions - Micro Focus Community.png

--
0 Likes
Community Manager

I don't think anyone here is purposely trying to get anyone to leave GroupWise. My suggestion to you is to ask about it in the GroupWise discussion forum: https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-User-Discussions/bd-p/GW_Discussions
--
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

At last I managed to get the RSS-feeds into my GroupWise.
I also discovered, I had to activate "Full Page" view instead of "Summary", if I want to see any replies. But the formatting is terrible. Is there a way to change this?

0 Likes
Community Manager

RSS feeds are xml. It's up to the RSS reader to interpret how to display it. Various readers display it differently. I prefer Feedbro (Chrome extension).
--
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

feedbro Works fine.
But I don't understand, why I have to use an external reader. Shouldn't the rss reader integrated in Micro Focus GroupWise be able to deliver a decent output from the Micro Focus Community rss feeds? Or is this just another step to try to make us leave GroupWise?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.