Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1635 views

admin defined fields

Last week I posted this to the gwobjapi forum, but have since realized
that that was the wrong place for the api that I am using. Here goes again:

I am trying to use the object api to delete an admin-defined field from
a groupwise user. Here is a code snip:

oFields = oUser.AdminDefined
oField = oFields.item(iField)
oField.Delete()

The delete() method is specifically mentioned in the doc as beign
available for the field object, however when I run it I get an error
that says: Not implemented. I have the version 6.5.4 of the client
installed. Does anyone know if there is a newer version of the api in
which this method is implemented? Any idea why the method would be
documented but then throw that particular error, which is different from
trying to call a method that just doesn't exist.

Here is some more information to make things weirder. I used
oField.value = "" as a work-around to at least get the wrong value out.
This removes both the label and value from the groupwise address book,
however not from eDirectory. If I view the user in C1 or list the
admin-defiend fields using the object api the label and value are still
there. Also, if I Synchronize the user object in C1 the label and value
reappear in the GW address book.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
-ch
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: admin defined fields

These fields have NEVER been removable. They permanently (AFAIK) modify the
schema and cannot ever be removed. They also affect ALL users, not just that
one.

Avoid. Period.

--

"Chris Heath" <cheath@usouthal.REMOVETHIS.edu> wrote in message
news:rEomf.7287$ME5.4593@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Last week I posted this to the gwobjapi forum, but have since realized
> that that was the wrong place for the api that I am using. Here goes
> again:
>
> I am trying to use the object api to delete an admin-defined field from a
> groupwise user. Here is a code snip:
>
> oFields = oUser.AdminDefined
> oField = oFields.item(iField)
> oField.Delete()
>
> The delete() method is specifically mentioned in the doc as beign
> available for the field object, however when I run it I get an error that
> says: Not implemented. I have the version 6.5.4 of the client installed.
> Does anyone know if there is a newer version of the api in which this
> method is implemented? Any idea why the method would be documented but
> then throw that particular error, which is different from trying to call a
> method that just doesn't exist.
>
> Here is some more information to make things weirder. I used oField.value
> = "" as a work-around to at least get the wrong value out. This removes
> both the label and value from the groupwise address book, however not from
> eDirectory. If I view the user in C1 or list the admin-defiend fields
> using the object api the label and value are still there. Also, if I
> Synchronize the user object in C1 the label and value reappear in the GW
> address book.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> -ch



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: admin defined fields

Unfortunately I am not in a position where I can avoid the use of
admin-defined fields. When you say that they permanently modify the
schema, which schema are you referring to, eDir or GW? Also, just so I
am clear, when you say that it cannot be removed and is global for all
users are you referring to the 'Field' object or the 'FieldDefinition'
object?

thanks,
-ch

Michael Bell wrote:
> These fields have NEVER been removable. They permanently (AFAIK) modify the
> schema and cannot ever be removed. They also affect ALL users, not just that
> one.
>
> Avoid. Period.
>

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.