jgosney
New Member.
2009 views

general api newbie advice for GW addr book

Good morning all,

I have already posted this question with Novell Support and they directed me to this forum.

We have a GW8.0.1 system. We also have a corporate intranet portal. We would like to link our corporate intranet portal with the Groupwise address book so that users could click a link in the portal and be allowed to update their contact info in the GW address book.

I'm assuming that this could be done using API's but since I've never used them before, I'm kinda looking for some general direction and information as to how they would be used in a scenario such as this.

I'm not looking for specific programming instructions -- just general direction on how the API's would be used.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: general api newbie advice for GW addr book

On 1/8/2010 7:36 AM, jgosney wrote:
>
> Good morning all,
>
> I have already posted this question with Novell Support and they
> directed me to this forum.
>
> We have a GW8.0.1 system. We also have a corporate intranet portal.
> We would like to link our corporate intranet portal with the Groupwise
> address book so that users could click a link in the portal and be
> allowed to update their contact info in the GW address book.
>
> I'm assuming that this could be done using API's but since I've never
> used them before, I'm kinda looking for some general direction and
> information as to how they would be used in a scenario such as this.
>
> I'm not looking for specific programming instructions -- just general
> direction on how the API's would be used.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can offer.
>
>

Well you can use SOAP as a trusted app. Then you can add/edit/remove
entries. But I've not tried edited contact info in system book (which
mostly read-only)

You can also use Object API but only if you are running Win32 COM.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: general api newbie advice for GW addr book

A user can update personal address book entries
using the SOAP API or the Object API.
To update entries in the system address book,
you need to use the Admin API.
The Admin API is meant more for an administrative
application, not a general user application.

>>> On Friday, January 08, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Michael

Bell<mikebell90@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/2010 7:36 AM, jgosney wrote:
>>
>> Good morning all,
>>
>> I have already posted this question with Novell Support and they
>> directed me to this forum.
>>
>> We have a GW8.0.1 system. We also have a corporate intranet portal.
>> We would like to link our corporate intranet portal with the Groupwise
>> address book so that users could click a link in the portal and be
>> allowed to update their contact info in the GW address book.
>>
>> I'm assuming that this could be done using API's but since I've never
>> used them before, I'm kinda looking for some general direction and
>> information as to how they would be used in a scenario such as this.
>>
>> I'm not looking for specific programming instructions ‑‑ just

general
>> direction on how the API's would be used.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice you can offer.
>>
>>

> Well you can use SOAP as a trusted app. Then you can add/edit/remove
> entries. But I've not tried edited contact info in system book (which
> mostly read‑only)
>
> You can also use Object API but only if you are running Win32 COM.

0 Likes
jgosney
New Member.

Re: general api newbie advice for GW addr book

Preston Stephenson;1915030 wrote:
A user can update personal address book entries
using the SOAP API or the Object API.
To update entries in the system address book,
you need to use the Admin API.
The Admin API is meant more for an administrative
application, not a general user application.


Preston, that is kind of the direction we were hoping to go. The user would log into the portal and enter their contact info. Then the portal would pass the admin credentials behind the scenes and update the information in the system address book.

Assuming this is doable, if I go to Develop to GroupWise - Developer Community,
are you referring to the API under the second option:
"Perform Administrative Tasks Programmatically", "GroupWise Administrative Object API"?

Thanks
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: general api newbie advice for GW addr book

It's not a personal AB here. It's the GW system ab.

On 1/11/2010 5:02 AM, Preston Stephenson wrote:
> A user can update personal address book entries
> using the SOAP API or the Object API.
> To update entries in the system address book,
> you need to use the Admin API.
> The Admin API is meant more for an administrative
> application, not a general user application.
>
>>>> On Friday, January 08, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Michael

> Bell<mikebell90@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
>> On 1/8/2010 7:36 AM, jgosney wrote:
>>>
>>> Good morning all,
>>>
>>> I have already posted this question with Novell Support and they
>>> directed me to this forum.
>>>
>>> We have a GW8.0.1 system. We also have a corporate intranet portal.
>>> We would like to link our corporate intranet portal with the Groupwise
>>> address book so that users could click a link in the portal and be
>>> allowed to update their contact info in the GW address book.
>>>
>>> I'm assuming that this could be done using API's but since I've never
>>> used them before, I'm kinda looking for some general direction and
>>> information as to how they would be used in a scenario such as this.
>>>
>>> I'm not looking for specific programming instructions ‑‑ just

> general
>>> direction on how the API's would be used.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice you can offer.
>>>
>>>

>> Well you can use SOAP as a trusted app. Then you can add/edit/remove
>> entries. But I've not tried edited contact info in system book (which
>> mostly read‑only)
>>
>> You can also use Object API but only if you are running Win32 COM.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: general api newbie advice for GW addr book

On 1/11/2010 6:56 AM, jgosney wrote:
>
> Preston Stephenson;1915030 Wrote:
>> A user can update personal address book entries
>> using the SOAP API or the Object API.
>> To update entries in the system address book,
>> you need to use the Admin API.
>> The Admin API is meant more for an administrative
>> application, not a general user application.
>>

>
> Preston, that is kind of the direction we were hoping to go. The user
> would log into the portal and enter their contact info. Then the portal
> would pass the admin credentials behind the scenes and update the
> information in the system address book.
>
> Assuming this is doable, if I go to 'Develop to GroupWise - Developer
> Community'
> (http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Develop_to_GroupWise),
> are you referring to the API under the second option:
> "Perform Administrative Tasks Programmatically", "GroupWise
> Administrative Object API"?
>
> Thanks
>
>

Correct, that is the option. It is a Win32 COM API so the service called
by the portal must run on windows, and must have access to the domain
directory.
0 Likes
Highlighted
jgosney
New Member.

Re: general api newbie advice for GW addr book

mikebell90;1915197 wrote:
On 1/11/2010 6:56 AM, jgosney wrote:
Correct, that is the option. It is a Win32 COM API so the service called
by the portal must run on windows, and must have access to the domain
directory.



Uh oh. The portal runs on a SLES box. Are there no API's currently written for Linux?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: general api newbie advice for GW addr book

On 1/12/2010 6:56 AM, jgosney wrote:
>
> mikebell90;1915197 Wrote:
>> On 1/11/2010 6:56 AM, jgosney wrote:
>> Correct, that is the option. It is a Win32 COM API so the service
>> called
>> by the portal must run on windows, and must have access to the domain
>> directory.

>
>
> Uh oh. The portal runs on a SLES box. Are there no API's currently
> written for Linux?
>
>

Sure there are - SOAP. But as noted by Preston, SOAP doesn't support
what you want.

You'll have to write a service that runs on windows and call it via
http/tcpip/whatever from SLES.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.