Display some text if the folder is empty in GroupWise Web

Idea ID 2815377

Display some text if the folder is empty in GroupWise Web

When opening a folder in GW Web that does not have anything in it, then display some text that tells the user that the folder is actually empty. For example "No items", "Folder is empty" or "Nothing to display".

Why?

I've run into this several times. I open a folder, wait for the content to appear but nothing happens. So I open the next folder because I think that the folder is empty. But in fact the internet connection or the POA or the browser is just too slow to display the emails. If there was a "Empty folder" text then this would not happen.
There is also an interesting behaviour. When I leave gw web untouched for a while and come back to the browser tab later, I see that the Inbox folder is empty. I know that there are emails in it so I click the Inbox folder again and the "old" emails reappear.

4 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Upvote from me!  I think this is a great idea.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Great idea.

I would also upscope the topic: I can think of three alternatives for showing any item list (either in a web UI or in thick client, mails, search results or any other items). These are in the order of my preference:

- have a fast enough interface (show contents in less than 2 seconds, the quicker is better)

- show that the list (folder) is empty

- show that list is being loaded

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It's difficult to control response time when reaching out across the Internet which makes it even more important to provide visual cues so the user knows what is happening.

1. First acknowledge the user's request.
  2. Then provide some indication that request has been processed.

The first is often accomplished by using a clock, a spinning wheel, or a brief message. The second usually becomes apparent when results are returned. But if nothing is returned and the display doesn't change the user can't know.

While an Empty Folder message resolves that particular issue the user may still be left wondering if s/he is viewing a partial list or the full list of results.

A more general purpose, and IMO a better solution, would be to issue a Processing complete message after all results have been returned.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.