NOTICE: Significant community changes coming soon
The header menu and the home page on our community will be changing soon. Get more information HERE.

Fully featured Linux desktop client

Idea ID 2781201

Fully featured Linux desktop client

We still need a fully featured Linux desktop client to replace the one that hasn't been developed since (or was removed from) GroupWise 8!
69 Comments
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.
+1 for this. If we have a supported Linux Desktop, why not a Linux GroupWise client?
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
It is a big shame that we are selling one of the best linux systems and the best groupware system and we don't have linux client. Many people are using linux because working on another platform is not efficient. And now on SLED 12 is using of GW8 linux client really big hell.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Either that, or make the web client so full featured that a native client is not necessary. If the web client can do all the Windows client can, then I think people will be okay with that, especially if it uses the many advanced functions of HTML5 to great effect.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I am not sure, if it is enough. Especially in cases when user does not have really fast internet connection is this unusable. Our office has symmetrical guaranteed 6Mbps connectivity and corporate web client is very slow.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
That could be a challenge, sure. However it should be possible to make an offline version like has been done with Gmail with HTML5 local storage and the like, plus selective fetching of content so you don't load the full inbox/folder up front. I hope we get either the Linux Client or a vastly improved webclient that would work within your bandwith restrictions.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Alternately, move functionality out of the Windows client and onto the POA and MTA agents so that cross-platform functionality is easier to implement on all clients. And create a new SOAP-based Linux client along those lines.
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Wouldn't Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/) be ideal for this? I'm not a developer but, one code base for all three, why not?
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I think, we celebrated removing mono from SLES in the past. I remember, that first ZENworks 10 was using some mono apps and it was hell.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Not having a GroupWise client equal to the one our staff are used to having on a Windows machine wasn't the only (nor the biggest) barrier to moving our desktops to Linux but it was one and an 'own goal' one at that. I appreciate it must be hard enough to keep the client up to speed developing for one platform let alone three (if Linux, why not Mac) but it's a shame you can't... and yes I've heard of the new 'compatible with ios apps' options for the mac users we have...
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I would need a full working Linux GroupWise Client
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.