Fully featured Mac desktop client

Idea ID 2781319

Fully featured Mac desktop client

Whilst there are plans to allow native Mac apps to talk to GroupWise for email, contacts, calendar, etc. we still need a fully featured Mac desktop client to replace the one that hasn't been developed since GroupWise 8!
163 Comments
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
It seems as if the general consensus of the community, regardless of what Mike says and the decisions of Microfocus, is that a full-featured MAC client is still needed. The absolute obstinance of Microfocus to ignore this request is only going to result in one thing: continued loss of customers as people leave Groupwise for more funtional email platforms. I know that the absolute nightmare we had upgrading from 2012 to 2014R2 and the continued total disregard for the Mac community are the reasons why our next email upgrade will very likely be away from Groupwise. I have been a Novell/Groupwise evangelist since back in the v5.2 days and even I have thrown up my hands and given up on Groupwise -- not the product but the leadership. When I have to tell executives that our current email platform has no plans to provide the non-Windows users (and yes, that includes Linux as well) the same functionality as the Windows users and I have nothing to offer them in the way of solution (and they are the ones who write the checks), why should I beg them to stay with a crippled solution. If Groupwise continues to lose customers and eventually become a niche market or even cease to exist, the reason will be placed squarely on the shoulders of the leadership/development decisions made over the past few years.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks for the excellent comment Jim. It looks like I am finding myself in that situation where for too long I have had to make apologies to our Mac users for the inadequate support for GroupWise on the Apple platform. Now I am looking at a forced decision from above to move to Gmail or Exchange/Office 365. It's disappointing and frustrating that something that is so clear to the users doesn't seem to be getting through to the decision-makers at Novell/Micro Focus. It's been a great 20 years but it looks like it will finally be good-bye.
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class
Same boat here. Just a few months we were examining other options with our school district. Why pay for something when you can get similar features (for the mac) by using gmail? Without a full client update I don't think we will continue the use of Groupwise, and we will have to even re-examine our server installs to see if they are worth wild in keeping. Shame as I have been using Novell since the 4.11 days.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Microfocus, are you listening to this?
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class
Same here, since Netware 2.11 and Groupwise 1.1. Have recently began either loosing clients due to inadequate support for Groupwise or for Groupwise not being on MAC and Linux platforms. Have had to recently move totally away from Novell/MicroFocus on some clients as they are not supporting nor planning forward thinking... an old Novell/GM mind trip... Oh, we sell alot of them... They will wait for when we think they need something... Such a product disaster!!! MicroFocus said they want to keep Groupwise moving... Looks like a very fast pace towards the Google/Microsoft zone for the rest of us... Come on MICROFOCUS, WAKE UP and get with the program!!
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
totally agree with Jim!
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class
Agree with last posts! On several costumers we are moving SLED 11 into windows 7/10, to have the most recent groupwise client! Novell/Suse/Microfocus... lost the contracts on SLEDs on this costumers! Deltabyte / Paulo J Sousa / Portugal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
While I would love to see a Mac client and it would help in my environment, but with only 3% of the workstations. I will also say that Macs have less than 5% of the market (https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0) or as much as almost 7% (https://netmarketshare.com/). So where are all these Macs? I have to ask if those who are abandoning GroupWise really have that many Macs in place or are just looking for an excuse. In Micro Focus' defense, why spend limited resources for 5-7% of the market. If it were you would you spend the resources on the lesser percentage or on the 90% of PC's running Windows. Think about it. Of course this isn't the only time stupid things have been done in the name of "being hip". At the same time, the 2014 R2 upgrade was a disaster for us that will take years to regain confidence back form users. I haven't decided if this was death throes of GroupWise or Micro Focus wanting to get rid of it by releasing something so bad or if Micro Focus rushed something that wasn't ready.
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class
I fought for years with GW product development about the need for a Mac client, but the bottom line is that they are focused on holding on to their full-pay customers and the demand for the Mac client was coming from sectors like EDU that pay little to nothing for GW. They need to protect their revenue. I gave up and migrated out college 16 months ago from GW to O365. Twenty years on GW, but my voice in EDU was too small to have any impact. It was the best and right move and was put off longer then it should have been only because of my blind faith that MF would wake up and do the right thing with the product. Don't be scared of the prospects of moving. O365 was a clean/easy replacement for GW and there are plenty of tools to automate the process. In many cases MS will provide help (money) to pay for the tools or training necessary to move.
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
Oh well, the old market share argument. First,following this we all need to ditch Groupwise now, as it surely has a smaller market share than macs have. Seconds, while it's less machines, very often it's the higher ups that run macs. No need to explain what that means. Last but not least.. Why does everybody else in the collaboration market have a more or less full featured Mac solution then?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.