Fully featured Mac desktop client

Idea ID 2781319

Fully featured Mac desktop client

Whilst there are plans to allow native Mac apps to talk to GroupWise for email, contacts, calendar, etc. we still need a fully featured Mac desktop client to replace the one that hasn't been developed since GroupWise 8!
163 Comments
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
If having Mac functionality beyond what IMAP, CALDAV, and CARDAV give you is a priority, then GroupWise/Micro Focus Enterprise Collaboration is not a solution for you. That is the official message. Absorb it and take action appropriately.
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.
So ironically "Micro Focus Enterprise Collaboration" if not for Enterprises then, since (I guess) most of those use a mix of platforms?
Visitor.
We have a increasing number of MAC Users and I voted for this idea, however more than anything an upgrade of webaccess feature wise along with a facelift to bring it into the same area as Outlook or even notes would go a long way. An increasing number of our users just access through the web, this would benefit all users mac/linux or windows.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
If you want an enhancement to webaccess, please create or vote on an idea for that, but don't calim here that webaccess would be more important or good enough pls. The reason why Novell/Attachemate/Microfocus is ignoring this request for almost a decade now, is because they claim Webaccess would be the way to go and good eneough. It will *NEVER* be for the majority of users, even if for some it might be.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I agree with Massimo here, webaccess, as good as it is, is no substitute for a parity featured Mac client. The staff bringing in Mac's are power/powerful users and aren't going to be embarrassed with something less than everyone else (or their staff) have. Stop messing about now, it's been long enough, no more fingers in the ears going "LA LA LA" build a Mac client - IT'S IMPORTANT
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.
totally agree... MF Do it!
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Today is a sad day. Today the hammer has fallen. The same things as described in the above posts have happened to us, a very few executives with Mac laptops have pushed GroupWise out. Not having a proper GroupWise Mac client caused its demise. We were able to get away with using the GroupWise 8 client for Mac for a while until it wasn't compatible with the new Macs. The CalDAV/CardDAV as a solution which Micro Focus proposes just doesn't cut it on many levels for us, not full featured, complexity of setup, let alone trying to have the Mac users swallow that as the GroupWise client. I've been with this product line since NetWare 3.11, got my certs, got onto GroupWise, got onto SLES, did countless installations, upgrades and support, basically made a career out of this. I've been a fan and a proponent of these products for practically a lifetime but now it's over. I'll continue my career but I have no choice but to use a different product path, and all that for just one thing, just one... no proper GroupWise Mac client. It's been a wild ride, thanks Novell, thanks Micro Focus for the good years but you've left me with no choice but to move on. Eric
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I would recommend sending Mike Bills (Collaboration Product Manager) a notification that your organization has stopped using GroupWise. Note that Mac client support was a very big issue and also the amount of money that this is going to cost Micro Focus. It won't help with your organization but it may give Micro Focus some more material feedback for the future.
New Member.
Shouldn't Mike Bills and his team be monitoring these forums? otherwise this is 1 more drawback for GW team.
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.
Mike Bills has commented a few times on this board. It is inconceivable that he doesn’t get copied on each of these messages as they come in. It is abundantly clear and has been for some time that, in realit,y the recent clients 2012, 14 R etc, are not notably better or different from 8, and that a MAC client has not been in the cards, for the simple reason that this product, in spite of our love and commitment to it like many others, is on its way down. That’s down - fewer users not more. Google and MS are the winners. Rail all you will. They won, Novell lost. Hoping against Hope is a sad feeling for the committed who knew that the product was for years rock solid and low maintenance. Now we sit with unclear paths for "heavy" clients. If I were MF and GW; I’d Probably just say, yeah use Mobility. It works. It ain’t perfect, but hey. As for thé growing number of Mac users - just use a different client - yah know? Like Outlook.. our IT Director uses it on his Mac. He knows I am committed to GW - so doesn’t argue for Exchange cause, yeah, we have invested in Linux, SLES etc all the upgrades, Yada Yada Yada, but still - Some of speed issues and search crap in the recent versions is building user pressure for a way better client. When one’s ipad mail client can find "it" faster than the native GW client.. u gotta wonder.. plus with all the old Novell GW personnel defections over the past few years, you know some of the brains got pushed out or just couldn’t resign them selves to what was obviously going to be as less than rigorous product. Just my 2 cents here. What are we going to do? Good question, but surely the question is coming more front and centered. Maintaining one’s own email data in house seems worth the money, when figuring that at some point the connection may be broken etc, but by the same token, maybe riding with the big guys makes more sense, let them worry about the technical issues and we’ll just send our mail..
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.