Fully featured Mac desktop client

Idea ID 2781319

Fully featured Mac desktop client

Whilst there are plans to allow native Mac apps to talk to GroupWise for email, contacts, calendar, etc. we still need a fully featured Mac desktop client to replace the one that hasn't been developed since GroupWise 8!
163 Comments
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.
For the last decade many of my customers have moved to other solutions Simply Cause there was No Mac or Linux client, so I believe the thing is simply not will GroupWise grow if an Mac or Linux client is ”invested” in but instead how much more it will shrink if such is not done. Figure that. And I on purpose say Invest as my customers that once ran the crap 2008 Mac and Linux client payed the last decade as much maintenace as their Windows users did so I think they would deserve a native client. Buying GWAVA or investing in Teamworks won’t change a bit as this means customers have to invest in a product which they have no faith in as it does not fully support the platforms they use. We’ve been listening to all talks about the new web client design that would be so much easier to make an on par web client an see where we are today... is does no much more then was possible at the time there was still a webacc agent. There is some stuff planned for this, but much too late for a lot of customers and so will it be if ever someone realized it was a real bad idea to not have a Mac and Linux client... even Microsoft realized after decades of ranting agains competition was just not going to work and today they Love even Linux having clients for all platforms. MF has such a bar of steel in front of their heads they just ignore all of this. Its just nonsense they have no resources an such, its a matter of making decisions. There seem to be enough money to invest in Teamworks, a product that nobody wanted or needed and in the meantime customers of Vibe and Filr which have the same code base have run away.... real smart.
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.
To add to my previous post: Mac users do forward their messages to Outlook.com or Gmail.com at some of the sites so they do not have to use Groupwise. Go figure; they are the biggest pushers to go to another platform. All development time spend to better Windows client is not going to change their minds.
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Also the lack of proxy access on the native mac client forces our users from going back to the old gw 8 client. At the moment we have 80 mac devices in the company. But more and more people bring their own device and want mails on their mac.
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.
For me MF Marketing and Product Management are not interessted in the future of GroupWise. We all waiting for years for solving this problem, yes problem! In the past, one big reason to use groupwise was the cross-plattform compatibility! No user wants to know about the techniques in the backend (runs it on Windows-Server or Linux? Pfffff). The users only know the problems in front of their nose! The sysadmins are not the decision-makers, the CEOs and their users decide what they want to use! Without cross-plattform-compatibilty, we all will have no chance to guarantee the future of GroupWise, and that's no joke! In the past, there was the vision of pervasive computing (yes, years before cloud-rumors). Get your information, anywhere, anytime on any system!
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I have lost two customers this year due to old and weary look with no future for GW as these owners and directors saw GW by using their macs with an old client. Other organization was very pleased with Windoes-client but due to old Mac client and decision makers this was possible to happen. I really don't understand this stategy of only using native Mac client to GW as then all the good staff of GW will be lost. Who in earth anyways uses still POP and IMAP protocols to use a corporate collaboration system.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I really think my next renewal will be our last due to this. We will just have to move to 365 and then I will be unable to justify the cost of MF for file servers.
New Member.
It's quite interesting reading all these comments. I'm a Linux desktop user personally. It would be very nice to have a feature equal client for Linux. However, I think the larger issue is that there isn't a cloud based platform for GroupWise. Most of our customers that have migrated away from GroupWise wasn't because there wasn't a client for Mac/Linux. It was because their users demanded Outlook or they wanted a cloud hosted solution.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Just use webmail for proxy access grows old very quickly, so does mapping x amount of accounts for the one user. It’s such a waste of our admin time.
Contributor.
Contributor.
In the past the GWAVA,... eco-system was a strong eco-system. This eco-system served as a sales and community channel. In 2018 cloud and flexible (device)clients should be premium quality and an approach to distinguish from the odd office.365 Outlook (which is a nightmare). I hope this help ?
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
People have stayed quiet because the majority have just given up in disgust... 3 years ago 1% of our users had macs. Now it’s 10%
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.