NOTICE: Significant community changes coming soon
The header menu and the home page on our community will be changing soon. Get more information HERE.

Fully featured Mac desktop client

Idea ID 2781319

Fully featured Mac desktop client

Whilst there are plans to allow native Mac apps to talk to GroupWise for email, contacts, calendar, etc. we still need a fully featured Mac desktop client to replace the one that hasn't been developed since GroupWise 8!
163 Comments
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.
Yes, we really need a full featured MAC Client.
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.
And maybe an update to the Linux client while we're at it?
New Member.
+1 for Mac and Linux clients. Using WebAccess is workable but is missing features. Having to use a Windows terminal server if you are using Linux is not ideal.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Using the CALDAV etc. functionality in OS X just gives us a lowest common denominator experience. We need a reason to use GroupWise specifically -- therefore we need functionality that only GroupWise possesses. The best way to do this on the Mac is with a new Mac client. Extend the SOAP API to support clients with changing IP addresses and base it on the SOAP-available functionality. Then improve the SOAP API and the Mac client in parallel.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Agree with Johnnie O. above. Using the OS X mail client provides a minimal experience. Our Mac Users operate in the same business environment as our windows Users- they need an identical feature set! Using the Mac email client/calendar/contacts doesn't provide for: proxy access, shared folders, calendars and address books etc. How can GroupWise be a "collaboration" platform without these features? And, We need an arsenal of reasons to stay on GroupWise. There is constant peer [company to company] pressure to move to exchange- some valid and many not. There is a great opportunity here for GroupWise to move out of the shadows; I hope it doesn't end up a missed opportunity. Otherwise, they be sitting at the bar with the folks at RIM/Blackberry talking about the old days....
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
While reliability and scalability are great selling points for GW it isn't enough. You need an arsenal of user based reasons to get people to stay with or move to GW and to break their dependance on Outlook. Having a different experience on the Mac/Linux desktop isn't helping the sales pitch IMHO. A killer web access solution would go a long way but I can't see it fully replacing a native client.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Agree with Jim R! My Mac users are begging to go to Google.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
+1 for real Mac and Linux clients. Year 2015 and still I can't include an html signature in the Linux client. Using Webaccess is not an real option.
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Wouldn't Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/) be ideal for this? I'm not a developer but, one code base for all three, why not?
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
agree with the 'and Linux too' comments (as it hardly promotes SLED if your own collaboration product pretty much ignores it) however I'd guess there would be more 'decision influencers' bringing in their own apple products into the boardroom from home than there would be ones sitting at the back fighting over whether their Mint or Ubantu desktop was the best. If you want to stop unneccesary moves to Exchange get behind the smug guys winning the 'my kit is cooler than yours' competition in the boardroom...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.