New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE

Fully featured Mac desktop client

Idea ID 2781319

Fully featured Mac desktop client

Whilst there are plans to allow native Mac apps to talk to GroupWise for email, contacts, calendar, etc. we still need a fully featured Mac desktop client to replace the one that hasn't been developed since GroupWise 8!
163 Comments
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Just make sure that everyone know that there is not feature parity between Outlook on a PC vs. Mac either. See "https://support.office.com/en-us/article/compare-outlook-for-mac-with-outlook-for-windows-bd54cb79-d367-4c2f-89c7-3e5d16618f87?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US" Users have the ability to choose their actions (to use a Mac or PC) but must accept they cannot choose the consequences. In this case choosing a Mac means less functionality. The real problem is that those at the top of the org chart are clueless to this, educating them doesn't always work either.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Think most of us are aware of the fact Outlook on Mac is also not fully featured compared to the Windows version but that it also has much improved over time, feature wise, compared to past Outlook for MacOS versions. Microsoft will always keep playing the works-better-with card, which makes sense as they have something to gain from users using Windows instead of other platforms. This is the point of a Mac Client for GroupWise as "we" have something to gain from a GroupWise that is supported on any platform. That way one can play the we-are-independant, cheaper-to-operate, pro-choise and support-open-standards cards. We can play neither today as "we" are dependant (primarily on a Windows desktop using customer base), lack choise (works best with Windows, no Mac client [not mentioning Linux here], there is no Mobile Client [ZENworks Mobile Workspace comes to mind... just wondering nobody tought it was a good idea to re-use what is already available in the MF stable]). If you support most (de facto) Microsoft standards (like OOXML) isn't it better to use those from them anyway, so a push for real open standards (ODF) would be a much better long term goal and would give customers something real to choose. Mind OOXML is not an ISO open standard used in the wild, it's just used as a marketing checkbox to pretend being an open standard. For example supporting LibreOffice and LibreOffice Online deeply in the products closes the Office+Outlook gap there is today, a gap which forces customers in a direction thay one may not want to but are forced to take due to lack of choise. My point here is it is not just limited to Outlook for Mac but also Office for Mac. One there is a Mac client one will face the Office for Mac discussion as an excuse. So, you have to create an ecosystem for customers to be able to work with, not just a bunch of products.
Not applicable
Almost all my users are using Macbook. Using iMail, contact and calendar from MACos does not replace the genuine Groupwise client. All my users would love having a new groupwise client for MAC. More secure, reliable, faster and featured. For us it's not an "niceto" but a MUST. I don't want my users to choose Outlook for MAC solution in future. Please help YOU and us saving your software ! !
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Again and again, we need a native GroupWise Mac client.......
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class
I caution against using the "well, outlook doesn't have feature parity on Mac/PC either" argument with management as a Mac Outlook user is a fully functional citizen. The Mac client simply carries a lot less bloat from 20+ years of features on the PC. The document referenced is also about eight months old, and MS updates the Mac Outlook client at a blistering pace (seemingly weekly). As someone who uses both, I'd argue that the Mac client is now the better Outlook client. If you're here and still hopeful for a Mac client, read Mike's posts above from a year ago, or previous updates. It's not going to happen. The positive, once one realizes they're in a dysfunctional relationship with Groupwise, the Mac client, and MF, is that the alternatives are pretty great.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Sounds like Micro Focus wants to lose more of the what seems to be rapidly shrinking customer base so that GroupWise dies on the vine. On one hand the users are saying we MUST have a native Mac client and on the other the "official" response from Micro Focus saying the direction for Mac is IMAP-CardDav and CalDav. Yes, I've heard the Microfocus representative talk about how developing the native Mac client would take longer than a single development cycle as if that were a valid reason not to do it, which is really lame. On top of that we have contributing members here saying that the alternatives to GroupWise are "pretty great" and singing the praises of Exchange/Outlook. Am I missing something here? I think there are more than enough reasons given in this feature request that should have made Micro Focus sit up and take notice of what their customers want and need so they can remain customers. Sad commentary on "listening" to the needs of customers. I doubt Micro Focus is monitoring this thread anymore so this rant falls on deaf ears.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
How hard it can be for GroupWise 18 Mac Client? I don't know but it's worth to do for big positive feedback I think. Please kindly take a look what's loyal GroupWise customers and partners mention how important it is ? thanks
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Groupwise was such a good product. Too bad they let the Mac client die. It could be a leader and a great alternative to Outlook.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
macOS Catalina is out today. The old 32-bit GroupWise Client on Mac is officially dead. That is all.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Need a solution for macOS Catalina. What is the preferred current product? The new GroupWise Web 18.1?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.