Fully featured Mac desktop client

Idea ID 2781319

Fully featured Mac desktop client

Whilst there are plans to allow native Mac apps to talk to GroupWise for email, contacts, calendar, etc. we still need a fully featured Mac desktop client to replace the one that hasn't been developed since GroupWise 8!
163 Comments
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Just watched a replay of the GW 2014 R2 SP1 presentation. Mike presented a lot of great new features for PC users. Once again, Linux and Mac users are left behind. It's as if those users work differently in an office setting than PC users, they don't need nor use the same functionality??? Throughout the presentation Mike stressed the use of the ideas forum as a way to generate and vet enhancements with the client base. Inclusion into upcoming enhancements was based on voting [popularity?]. The Linux client topic is at the top of the voting with 128 votes and the Mac client topic is second with 118 votes yet, it's obvious they've been abandoned. This process appears to me like many corporate functions: lip service. I also wonder if Mike is caught between the corporate politics of upper management and the client base..... The purpose of this submittal is not to slam Mike Bills, it's obvious that the GW team, led by Mike, has made great strides with the GW application. It's very frustrating to be abandoned based on your infrastructure [Mac or Linux] when you can clearly see there are votes indicating their popularity. With some innovative marketing, Micro-Focus could make quite a dent in the "Exchange" base if they offered a cross platform client with the current feature set. And, lets face it, GroupWise as an email application is not in the drivers seat when it comes to client base size and shunning potential new customers.
Visitor.
what about making Win client "wine"able ?
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Just to be clear, the biggest obstacle to creating a Mac client for GroupWise is the amount of work that the Windows client does that is considered part of the core GroupWise product. GroupWise is not a product where most of the functionality is implemented server-side, at least half of what seems to be server-side is actually client-side. The SOAP calls mitigate this a bit, but a lot of those are actually re-implementations of the Windows client functionality and not calls to the same server routines. Those of you who have been around since GroupWise 4 will remember that in the early days the server agents did not exist -- the clients actually operated on the raw files on (shared) disk. A lot of this methodology still remains in how GroupWise operates, even if the client no longer physically moves server bits around. Due to the complexity of the Windows client, including some very longstanding Windows networking dependencies, I think it would be very hard to get it running in WINE (per the comment above). However, given that Windows is in decline it still makes the most sense for ALL GroupWise functionality to be exposed via SOAP (or other platform-independent manner). This is the future of the product, and through it a good Mac client should be an order of magnitude easier to create.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
Excuse me, but there is very little core functionality of GW in the client, much less than in *ANY* other competing product. It's merely a display and a configuration interface. It stores no data whatsoever, it only stores very very few cosmetic settings locally, and it doesn't process any data itself. That's why you can login the Groupwise from any machine you want, and your Groupwise experience basically stays the same whereever you are. Caching mode is a different story, but in reality that's not even the client either, but in aching mode there's basically a local copy of the server code activated underneath the client.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
The very obvious targets are Vibe integration, Skype integration, and Archiving--all of which are heavily dependent on the client. There are many others. I'm not saying that the data resides on the client, I am saying that the *logic* to manipulate the data is in the client. Which is why features come to the Windows client first and WebAccess later. If the programming logic resided primarily server-side then most features would land at the same time. Further evidence of the functionality gap is provided via the licensing model, whereby the major difference between the Full License and the Limited License ( https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/groupwise-2014-licensing-changes/ ). Another useful comparison is to compare what the SOAP API can do vs. what the Windows client actually does.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
This is the wrong place to discuss this, but I respectfully, but wholeheartedly disagree. For example, *NOBODY* should still be using archiving, that functionality should have been removed latest with GW7. It serves no purpose in this century whatsoever other than to first multiply important data and then putting it at extreme risk of loss. And vibe and skype "integration" are merely links to external products and are only used by a miniscule percentage of customers, even if they own the products. What customers *do* care about is rules, shared folder, calendars, addressbooks, proper integrated security and encryption, notification, proper UI functions everywhere like real system integrated drag&drop, offline availablity and so on and so on. All these are reasons why there should be a feature-parity client for macs (and linux). And no, Webaccess can never provide that, nor "standard" clients of the respective OS. They may be good enough for some, but good eneough doesnt cut it to bring forward the product. Nobody needs expensive Groupwise to then use Mac Mail and lose 80% of the functionality that makes Groupwise an expensive product compared to countless free options that also provide the same basics of emailing.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
@Massimo fully agree with that. Archiving as we have that today just does not cut it - get rid of it. Vibe IMO is also pretty dead: just following on Filr developments lately and nothing on radar. All Vibe integrations that were there (DataSynchronizer) with GW are abandoned already as is Skype integration. Nice that you have a GW Client-Vibe connector but you cannot even save a mail properly in Vibe... what value does that have? Vibe -could- have been that online 'archive' where you hold your communication on a per-project base (or even in your own workspace) and which would be accessible from a desktop client as well as from webaccess... it's just not going to happen. This was all low hanging fruit we've (my customers) have been asking for from the beginning, just not there and not planned in the near future. For me Vibe is just again a silo locking in my files, as is the GW DMS for that matter. What -is- on the GW2017+ roadmap is integration with Filr, so long live Filr. Building (social) collaboration around Filr add's a host of opportunities as it add's immidiate value to existing environments and without locking in your files.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
The Mac Mail and Outlook solutions for the Mac are very flakey. There was an issue with Macs and the WebAcc where they would drop connections and an FTF after 2014 R2 SP1 was required to get a decent sonnection, A new client like the GW8 Mac client would help keep GroupWise in our environment, otherwise our high power Mac users will demand another mail solution.
Visitor.
1. We saw a large shift with the BYOD where people simply used the built-in mail client and were happy with the basic functionality i.e. didn't care about the advanced features in the host platform. Now however, those users have realized that the basic functionality isn't enough and other email/collaboration vendors have been quick to add dedicated email clients for these BYOD devices e.g. Outlook client for iOS/Android and likewise for Gmail. Novell/MF bet the farm on the basic mobility need but haven't reacted to the shift back to true email clients on these devices. Thankfully there is Ghostpattern. 2. The current Mac solution seems to be in keeping with the "basic access is good enough" mentality for non-Windows platforms, yet we're seeing the same shift on the desktop where users need email platform features that aren't supported in the minimal approach. Since GW 5.x, the product managers have continued to believe that Webaccess was good enough for Mac users, but it's never reached parity with the windows client. Users also expect tight integration with the host OS e.g. Siri, notification center, etc. which does not exist in a web application. Given the response above by Mike Bills, I think the message is clear. Going forward, the Mac continues to not be strategic to MF's GroupWise plan. It's a windows-only product (full functionality) with basic features for everything else. The Mac client situation was so bad for EDUs, that colleges such as mine had no choice but to move on.
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.
i do not like this "basic access is good enough" mentality for non-Windows platforms. I really need shared folders, all my projects have a GroupWise shared folder. I cannot handle that directly on the Mac, i always need a VM with Windows and GroupWise Windows client for that. Even a updated GroupWise Java client would be better then the current situation.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.