Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.

GMS Re-write as a connector, not hub-and-spoke.

Idea ID 2703765

GMS Re-write as a connector, not hub-and-spoke.

GMS came to be as a happy accident. An anything-to-anything synchronizer could also be used to sync Activesync devices to GroupWise using a hub database and adding a GroupWise connector and a Mobility (Activesync) connector. However, the days of "hey look! I have mail on my phone!" have given way to "I need mail on my phone!" and so many of the ideas in this portal can be solved by taking the current GMS code, stripping out the database part and going straight from GW to Activesync, much like the WebAccess application talks directly to SOAP. This would eliminate database maintenance, storage limitations, sync limitations, and every device would see the live GW mailbox at all times. Exchange does it like this -- it's a connector you switch on and off, like MAPI, Outlook Web Access and so on. When moving users into GroupWise or doing large-volume operations on a mailbox, the current GMS design causes an immense slowdown to the whole GMS server. Implementing GMS as a connector, much like WebAccess is now would solve many problems. It would enable easy Disaster Recovery (just turn it on in the DR post office) It would allow synchronization on a per user basis - any amount of the PO. It would allow searches of the live mailbox. It would allow sync of any address books. It could even allow for proxy access. PLUS It can enable Outlook as a client. It can enable Mac based Activesync client. This should be the next thrust of effort in GMS, IMO.

2 Comments
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Wish I could upvote this one multiple times!

Community Manager COEST Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.