Idea ID 2826446

remove attachments

0 Votes

Hi All,

In outlook we could remove an attachment from a message and save it so that our mailbox quota could be small but we had a lot of mail on the system.  This was many years ago and I would hope someday our users could do this for individual messages.

Thanks,

Joe

4 Comments
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I got the request many times. But if you remove attachments then you break the unity of a message. In GroupWise a mail including all information is one unity - this is important for status control.

Well there was a small C3PO tool for GroupWise to remove attachments (32 bit solution). In this case a utility created a copy of the original mail without attachments; the original mail has been deleted.

I mentioned unity. If you use Filr in cooperation with GroupWise, Filr will host attachments. So mails will stay smaller. However in my opinion you break the unity because attachments can be deleted on Filr. How do I prove afterwards that I received an attachment?

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

This is much more of an issue in Outlook as every user gets his/her own copy of the attachment. In GroupWise, the attachment is only stored once and linked to each recipient so being able to delete the attachment would have little effect unless the sender and every recipient deleted it.

Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

All I can say is Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 allowed this and at that time Exchange was SIS...  If Microsoft can do it I think the developers at Micro focus can as well.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It is never a matter of ability or willingness but budget and resources.

If it’s an easy quick change, I am sure they would oblige.

I will let product management Comment further.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.