UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.

GroupWise (new) Web Client: how to influence!

GroupWise (new) Web Client: how to influence!

The new web client for GroupWise is docker based. Somehow this is like a black box, especially in the beginning. To make it running you have to pass port numbers, a configuration file and a little bit more into docker. These options are explained in GroupWise documentation.

Push information into docker - part 1

Documentation tells us that -p is defining which port will be used outside of docker and inside of docker; -p 443:443 - ":" is equal to "pass to". To pass the right connectivity information we have to use -v; i.e. "my configuration file outside docker":/etc/nginx/gw - this seems to be a location where nginx configures how to connect to post offices.

If you have special requests like certificates then there is already some information. You have to pass your certs into a directory /certs and name your files server.key and server.crt; -v "your cert directory":/certs.
I had an additional request: I  wanted to use a very special hosts file. So I had to forward "my hosts file":/etc/hosts.

Change login logo

A new request appeared those days ... someone asked if there is a possibility to change logos or colors.

Explore the docker environment

To understand how this black box works, I have to enter it.

My web client has been started with "docker run -d --name ng ...". This is the statement to enter my docker environment: "docker exec -it ng bash" and start a bash to walk around.
During my exploration I discovered that nginx uses a configuration directory "/etc/nginx" as expected. Document root for nginx is based in directory /app.

To change a login logo I have analyzed the name of some logos for our web client. There is a big picture on the right side (1152 x 551) and a smaller one on the left side (164 x 164); the big one is named login_image.jpg, the small one app-logo.svg. Yes, take care of the extension!
Searching for login_image I will get a long list of directories:
/app/assets/img
/app/de/assets/img
/app/fr/assets/img
/app/"language"/assets/img

If my approach is right, then I have to replace login_image.jpg and app-logo.svg in /app/assets/img for default language (=English) and in those language directories which are important for me.

Push information into docker - part 2 - change your logo

Well, I have explained how to push information into docker. Here is my enhanced statement:

docker run -d -v /docker.data/:/etc/nginx/gw -v /etc/hosts:/etc/hosts
-v /root/OH3.svg:/app/assets/img/app-logo.svg
-v /root/login_image.jpg:/app/assets/img/login_image.jpg
-v /root/OH3.svg:/app/de/assets/img/app-logo.svg
-v /root/login_image.jpg:/app/de/assets/img/login_image.jpg

So you see that you can use different named files outside of docker. But especially for app-logo.svg take care to use a svg file (i.e. convert jpg to svg)!

Try it out! If it fails then remove these -v enhancements.

Here is my result:
docker_new.JPG

Conclusion

Yes, it is easy to influence a docker environment.

But I did not explain how to change colors. Yes, this is a little bit harder - here you have to change css files.

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2021-04-08 20:57
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.