Highlighted
sfyanqui Absent Member.
Absent Member.

127.0.0.1 Unknown Socket Failure on send from Windows client

We have a user who is using Groupwise client 8.02 on his windows XP machine. Mail comes in fine. As he tries to send, he receives an errer:

Unknown Socket Failure

this user can send fine from the webmail using the same account credentials.

when I log into his account on my Mac, I can send and receive just fine.

when I log into his account on my Windows 7 machine using GW client 8.02, I get this error:

Service Unavailable

We have done a thorough and complete uninstall of the client and messenger, including moving the MAPI dll's to a separate folder so that fresh ones would be created. I have reset tcpip, and also completely uninstalled and reinstalled tcpip. I have ensured that the machine is free of viruses, but since this also occurs on other windows machines, the steps I took at his machine really don't matter.

Is this error caused by a message not processing properly? There is nothing in the Pending Requests window.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
dzanre1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 127.0.0.1 Unknown Socket Failure on send from Windows client

sfyanqui wrote:

> Is this error caused by a message not processing properly? There is nothing in
> the Pending Requests window.

I suspect that somehow in the "Accounts" pull-down menu, the user has managed to
change the "default" mailbox from the GroupWise mailbox to an IMAP or POP3
account that is not accessible.

This is just a hunch though, and if the Account pull-down menu is not available,
then I'll have to do some additional pondering!

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
Moving GroupWise to Linux?
http://www.caledonia.net/gwmove.html
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

Re: 127.0.0.1 Unknown Socket Failure on send from Windows cl

Hi,

See if this user has other accounts configured, e.g. POP, IMAP, NNTP, as if these are misconfigured, you can get this error when the client tries to send. Also, I don;t think the Mac client supports these. This is why the problem follows the user from Windows machine to Windows machine, as the Other Accounts settings follow the user. Well, its a great theory anyway... 🙂

-- Bob
0 Likes
sfyanqui Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 127.0.0.1 Unknown Socket Failure on send from Windows cl

sfyanqui;2097122 wrote:
We have a user who is using Groupwise client 8.02 on his windows XP machine. Mail comes in fine. As he tries to send, he receives an errer:

Unknown Socket Failure

Outstanding call, and we can call this solved. There was indeed another account set up as POP3 configured to use localhost for outgoing mail. No idea why the account exists, but until we have that clarified, we have the client configured to use groupwise as default. Also don't know how the other account got selected as default, and we may never know. Thank you so much for sending me down the correct path, this was a valuable experience.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.