Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

2012 GW Client slow

The users are running Windows 7 SP1 with GW 12.0.2. Two users are experiencing slowness and sometimes crashing of their clients when going between folders. (i.e. between Inbox and Sent). This happens via webmail as well. There are 31 users on the Server Windows 2008 R2. Everyone connects via IP address as well.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
21 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor.

Re: 2012 GW Client slow

coverby;2320582 wrote:
The users are running Windows 7 SP1 with GW 12.0.2. Two users are experiencing slowness and sometimes crashing of their clients when going between folders. (i.e. between Inbox and Sent). This happens via webmail as well. There are 31 users on the Server Windows 2008 R2. Everyone connects via IP address as well.

If both the Windows client and webaccess are slow, this points to something happening at the Post Office. What are the specification of the server?

If you switch back and forth a few times is it still slow on each subsequent switch? If the client sits idle for a while?

There are a lot of things which can make things vaguely slow. You need to start with the basics and work forwards.

Is the server under I/O load when the problem occurs? Is the server swapping a lot? Do you have AV software scanning the POA files? Communications issues? Is the client in C/S mode, if so, does switching to cache mode fix the issue - or make it better?

-- Bob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <coverby.6esdjb@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Coverby wrote:
> Two users are
> experiencing slowness and sometimes crashing of their clients when going
> between folders. (i.e. between Inbox and Sent). This happens via
> webmail as well. There are 31 users on the Server Windows 2008 R2.
>

Following on Bob's pointers on the server.
Check how much physical RAM is showing as available in the TaskManager. If
tight that would slow things down.
How much room on C: and where every you have your swap file(s) if they are
running tight that would also slow things down.
In TaskManager, how much CPU is being used by what top processes?

Beyond that, there could be some database issues that regular scheduled
maintenance would help. http://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmnt5x.htm

Andy of
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It is Windows Server 2008 R2. It runs on 8 GBs of RAM. I have never seen it use more than 4 GBs. The CPU usage is not very high either.

The two users that are slow have mailboxes of over 10 GBs. I am not sure if that is relevant.

The client does stay idle while it processes from Inbox to Sent items or inbetween folders.

We just put in a gigabit switch since we thought that might be the issue. The POA isn't scanned by the AV. It has exceptions to both the PO folders and the Novell folder. It is a constant problem for those users so not an I/O.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yeah memory is 8GBs that never really pushes past 4. The CPU usage isn't that high as well.

I am noticing when I go between the Inbox and Sent items that the CPU usage spikes from a few percent to nearly 30 or more.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <coverby.6f3uyn@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Coverby wrote:
> I am noticing when I go between the Inbox and Sent items that the CPU
> usage spikes from a few percent to nearly 30 or more.
>

Which process(es) are doing all that work? Is this on the PC and/or
the server?

Andy of
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

coverby;2321321 wrote:
It is Windows Server 2008 R2. It runs on 8 GBs of RAM. I have never seen it use more than 4 GBs. The CPU usage is not very high either.

The two users that are slow have mailboxes of over 10 GBs. I am not sure if that is relevant.

The client does stay idle while it processes from Inbox to Sent items or inbetween folders.

We just put in a gigabit switch since we thought that might be the issue. The POA isn't scanned by the AV. It has exceptions to both the PO folders and the Novell folder. It is a constant problem for those users so not an I/O.

The new switch may be an issue if you have some sort of comms issue. Check the network error statistics for the ports and look for hardware level ethernet errors.

With large mailboxes, the POA may take a while to initially cache the users database and index files data. But if you access the mailbox a couple minutes latter, all that dara should still be in RAM , and you would see good performance. That performance is bad all the time speaks to another issue, like a storage issue or network communications issue. Also many anti-virus products can scan network traffic too, so make sure there are exceptions for the POA's traffic too. Same applies to the client as well.

Your next step is to get packet traces on the client side to see if the server or the client is the issue.

If everything was super speedy prior to the new switch, then that's the smoking gun.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Whoops totally forgot to respond to this. My fault on this. The highest usage on the CPU is the gwpoa.exe. The CPU spikes when clicking between folders on these mailboxes. I don't see this problem other than these two users.

The new switch didn't help. The only thing that has really helped was using cache mode but it connects every minute and not instantaneously.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 27.05.2014 19:56, coverby wrote:
>
> The users are running Windows 7 SP1 with GW 12.0.2. Two users are
> experiencing slowness and sometimes crashing of their clients when going
> between folders. (i.e. between Inbox and Sent). This happens via
> webmail as well. There are 31 users on the Server Windows 2008 R2.
> Everyone connects via IP address as well.

The affected users mailbox indexes are out of whack /incomplete,
possibly due to size. Do you have /qflevel=999 set in your POA startup
files?

See:
https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2012/gw2012_guide_admin/data/b4cy1k5.html

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Forgot to add that I checked on the client side and grpwise.exe hikes up to 40%.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes it is set to /qflevel-999 on startup.

I assume seeing it taking up 40% of the CPU on the client side and around 30 on the server slows things down where it can freeze. Does that sound right?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 22.07.2014 19:46, coverby wrote:
>
> Yes it is set to /qflevel-999 on startup.
>
> I assume seeing it taking up 40% of the CPU on the client side and
> around 30 on the server slows things down where it can freeze. Does that
> sound right?
>
>

Define "right". Yes, it sounds right that most likely the indexes of
these users have a problem. I'd recreate them.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.