billhalfmann Absent Member.
Absent Member.

2014r2 SP1 client crash with Office 2016 C2R

I'm finding the Address Book, and features that rely on the Address Book, are crashing my GW client after updating with SP1.
I've confirmed if I uninstall GW and Office 2016, then only install GW 2014 r2 SP1, things work correctly. But, adding Office 2016 C2R reinstates the problem.

GW Client crashes if I: create any new item (mail, appt, task, note, etc), open Address Book, & click "Find Contacts" button.

In Control Panel, the "Mail (32-bit)" applet opens and shows two profiles: Groupwise Address and Outlook Address Book. When selecting the GroupWise Address Book\Properties I get a Windows Messaging error: The action could not be completed. The .DLL file for the information service could not be loaded.

Specific error in Application Event log is
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Description:
Faulting application name: grpwise.exe, version: 14.2.0.34014, time stamp: 0x577545e8
Faulting module name: mso99Lwin32client.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57cad8b4
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c8cd2
Faulting process id: 0x1b94
Faulting application start time: 0x01d20ea01a1fe141
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\GroupWise\grpwise.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office16\mso99Lwin32client.dll
Report Id: 451773a6-ec92-4516-9efe-238d47c4798a

Anyone else seeing this type of behavior with SP1 and Office 2016 C2R? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Likes
23 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: 2014r2 SP1 client crash with Office 2016 C2R

Update: uninstalling Office 2016 C2R corrects all issues in GW without any further action. Further, the "Mail (32-bit)" applet in Control Panel correctly showed three items - LDAP Address Book, Novell GroupWise, & Novell Personal Address Book.
I've uninstalled GW again, restarted, and installed Office 2016 C2R first, then GW on top. GW Client still crashes when performing the same actions and the same event log error occurs, but the Control Panel "Mail (32-bit)" applet shows the correct 3 items now.

Any suggestions beyond rolling back GW to 2014r2 or Office to 2013?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Update: rolling back GW client to 14.2.0 build 122092 has no problems. Upgrading to GW client 14.2.1 build 124014 has the same issues. Was hoping the upgrade might provide a different result. Also, Office is Click-2-Run from O365 subscription, version 16.0.6925.1038 32-bit.
0 Likes
finlawpmb Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I also have this problem - Office 365 ProPlus latest updates cause the GW2014R2-HP1 windows client to crash repeatedly.
MicroFocus needs a fix QUICKLY or a great many users will be affected !!!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

The latest release of the GroupWise client is build 124595 (as far as I am aware). I suggest you try this build. If it still fails to work then I recommend that you open a Service Request so the Micro Focus engineers can take a look at it. If they are not aware of the problem they are not able to fix/address the problem.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
jeranet1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2440464 wrote:
Hi,

The latest release of the GroupWise client is build 124595 (as far as I am aware). I suggest you try this build. If it still fails to work then I recommend that you open a Service Request so the Micro Focus engineers can take a look at it. If they are not aware of the problem they are not able to fix/address the problem.

Cheers,

Just to add on to this thread... I have that groupwise build and I can confirm I have that issue with the O365 2016 ProPlus C2R as well. As a quick test... If I go to Tools, Options, then click Security it crashes. If I install Groupwise following the office install then the first time use my quick test I get (of all things) a Microsoft Outlook pop-up that says "We're sorry, but Microsoft Office has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Microsoft Office will need to be closed as a result. Would you like us to repair now?" and then you can click "Repair Now", "Help", or "Close", but they all close Groupwise. Outlook wasn't running (at least not from the user's perspective) but its like it still tries to control something it shouldn't? Anyway, I haven't figured out the issue yet... I'll probably need to open a ticket here soon.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Did you open a Service Request?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Kingduggan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2441624 wrote:
Hi,

Did you open a Service Request?

Cheers,

I am having similar/same issues with the GroupWise client (latest release) and Office 365. I had success with one workstation by doing an online repair to office and then reinstalling the latest client. Just shooting from the hip here, but I think the recent Office 365 update corrupts MAPI, the protocol Groupwise uses in MS.

I have opened a Service Request with Novell and will post my findings to the forum when I hear back.

- Duggan
0 Likes
BTS_MW Absent Member.
Absent Member.

it also occurs with 14.2.0, build 122092 but only about once or twice a day (not every few seconds as with the newer clients).

SR sent - hopefully we get a solution quite soon... *crossing fingers*
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Please keep us posted with what happens and what information you get from the engineers. I think that we are all waiting anxiously for a solution.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Duggan,

Kingduggan1;2442086 wrote:
I am having similar/same issues with the GroupWise client (latest release) and Office 365. I had success with one workstation by doing an online repair to office and then reinstalling the latest client. Just shooting from the hip here, but I think the recent Office 365 update corrupts MAPI, the protocol Groupwise uses in MS.
n

Instead of doing a repair/reinstall, have you tried removing the mail profile (Control Panel > Mail > Profiles) and after that starting GroupWise.

If that works it at least is a quicker workaround until this gets fixed.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
m_ecker Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

we have the same Problem. As solution I have adapted a C2R setup of Office 2016. I excluded Outlook 2016 in the Office Setup. The error only happend when Outlook is installed. It's only a workaround.
0 Likes
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just has the issue today...the newest groupwise client has same issue, only fix is repair office 365 install and should be good to go.
0 Likes
AbolinsJanis Contributor.
Contributor.

mfoster;2442218 wrote:
Just has the issue today...the newest groupwise client has same issue, only fix is repair office 365 install and should be good to go.

We have same problem with MS Office 365 (GW 14.2.1 + MSO365)

Faulting application name: grpwise.exe, version: 14.2.0.35134, time stamp: 0x5801b863
Faulting module name: mso99Lwin32client.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57efdd02
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c8cd2
Faulting process id: 0x2764
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2292d8b5273a7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\GroupWise\grpwise.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office16\mso99Lwin32client.dll

MSO365 online repair did help, but soon issue for user comes back.... sometimes 3x times in a day, sometimes after 3 days or more... but the point is, that even the fix does not help entirely...
Did create support ticket - send logs, event viewer entrys, dmp files... waiting for answers...
0 Likes
Highlighted
mfoster Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Anyone had anything back off support yet apart from attitude!, its a major issue and not had a single update and on chasing get grief
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.