Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

3.0.1 Behavior for Away and Idle

I've recently upgraded to Messenger 3.0.1 for my staff and they are very vocal about a behavioral change that they don't like. If someone sets their status to "Away" and is gone for more than 10 minutes, their status automatically changes to "Idle" based on the application's idle timer setting. I am inclined to say that the application is working as designed but do see where staff is coming from in that if they are indicating that they are "Away" that their status shouldn't automatically change to "Idle" after a period of time. Is there a way to change this behavior? I haven't tested but would guess that this might also apply to "Busy."
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 3.0.1 Behavior for Away and Idle

I have some clarification from my users now and it appears that when you lock your screen under the IM 2.x client that your status went to an Away state, where under the 3.0.1 client it goes to Idle, which is apparently a problem.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When I lock my screen my status goes to away and stays away.

Al

On 10/19/2015 at 6:56 AM, marklar23<marklar23@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

I have some clarification from my users now and it appears that when you
lock your screen under the IM 2.x client that your status went to an
Away state, where under the 3.0.1 client it goes to Idle, which is
apparently a problem.

--
marklar23
------------------------------------------------------------------------
marklar23's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5123
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=494667

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Using Adium on my Mac and if I lock the screen my status switches to Away. Same thing on XP.

Using the 3.0.1 client on a Mac or on Windows 7 my status switches to idle but if I manually set my status to away and lock the screen the away status sticks.

Al

On 10/20/2015 at 12:15 PM, Al Hidalgo<ahidalgo@salud.unm.edu> wrote:

When I lock my screen my status goes to away and stays away.

Al

On 10/19/2015 at 6:56 AM, marklar23<marklar23@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

I have some clarification from my users now and it appears that when you
lock your screen under the IM 2.x client that your status went to an
Away state, where under the 3.0.1 client it goes to Idle, which is
apparently a problem.

--
marklar23
------------------------------------------------------------------------
marklar23's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5123
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=494667

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Afternoon All

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

We have always relied on the Messenger status to indicate whether someone was at their desk, but not using their computer (Idle), or actually away from their computer (Away). We have a strict policy in place here which forces users to lock their computer when they leave their desk, so their status on the GW Messenger would automatically show them as away when they locked their computer.

In case it makes any difference, I have installed the agent on a Wintel box.

Thanks

Jason
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are having the same problem here.

People are getting real confused and thinking that people are still at their desk when they are NOT.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Folk,

Seeing as this appears to be a universal issue and the community here don't have any answer on how to resolve this issue I recommend that those of you who are in a position to do so open a Servicer Request with Novell Technical Support so that they can take a look at the problem and find resolution for it. This may be a bug that needs to be addressed by engineering.

If any of you do open a Service Request kindly post the details here so that we can track the progress of this issue.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.