iwan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4651 views

404 error when saving or opening attachment

Some of our users are receiving the following error message when opening attachments in GroupWise Webaccess 8.02HP2 :
"404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

After some testing, we found out it only occurs if there is a + sign in the filename of the attachment. They are able to view the attachment using the built-in document viewer, but opening or saving the attachtment produces the error. Thankfully it doesn't happen alot, because most filenames are composed of alphanumeric characters.

Has anyone seen this before and is this 'as designed' or is it a bug?

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

On 3/15/2011 4:06 AM, iwan wrote:
>
> Some of our users are receiving the following error message when opening
> attachments in GroupWise Webaccess 8.02HP2 :
> "404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for
> might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily
> unavailable."
>
> After some testing, we found out it only occurs if there is a + sign in
> the filename of the attachment. They are able to view the attachment
> using the built-in document viewer, but opening or saving the
> attachtment produces the error. Thankfully it doesn't happen alot,
> because most filenames are composed of alphanumeric characters.
>
> Has anyone seen this before and is this 'as designed' or is it a bug?
>
> Thanks
>
>

Sounds like a bug to me. I'll report it.
0 Likes
iwan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

Hi,

Any updates?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

On 4/18/2011 5:36 AM, iwan wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Any updates?
>
>

Support replied "can you give me a bit more info about the attachments?
I took an rtf
file and a pdf file. Saved them both with a + and an & in the file name.
From the Novell corp WA, I am able to open and save both in IE 8,
Firefox, Safari and Chrome without any errors or issues so I am thinking
that it is not the existance of the character itself in the file name.
What type of files are these? Is the name, including the characther, a
long file name or does it fall within the 8.3 naming convention? Can you
forward one to me?"

0 Likes
frankscharpenac Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

hello, i have the same problem wit the GW webacc Version:
____________________________________________________
Novell GroupWise WebAccess
Version 8.0
© Copyright 1993-2009 Novell, Inc. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
Buildnummer: 92377
Programmversion: 8.0.1 11.12.2010 (WebAccessServlet.class)
____________________________________________________



with some attachment it works, but with some with bad name it works not and i got the error 404 message with attachmentname like this.

on a second older Webaccess Server with the version:


____________________________________________________
Novell GroupWise WebAccess
Version 8.0
© Copyright 1993-2009 Novell, Inc. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
Buildnummer: 85855
Programmversion: 8.0.1 27.1.2009 (WebAccessServlet.class)
____________________________________________________


the same attachment open fine !

"SAPLSTXBE /20110407/151328.pdf "

Groupwise 2014R2 - ZCM 11.4.1
0 Likes
iwan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

Michael Bell;2097475 wrote:
On 4/18/2011 5:36 AM, iwan wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Any updates?
>
>

Support replied "can you give me a bit more info about the attachments?
I took an rtf
file and a pdf file. Saved them both with a + and an & in the file name.
From the Novell corp WA, I am able to open and save both in IE 8,
Firefox, Safari and Chrome without any errors or issues so I am thinking
that it is not the existance of the character itself in the file name.
What type of files are these? Is the name, including the characther, a
long file name or does it fall within the 8.3 naming convention? Can you
forward one to me?"


We created a text file with the following filename: "Project+test.txt" This file fails to download. Viewing the file works fine though.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

On 4/20/2011 3:06 AM, frankscharpenack wrote:
>
> hello, i have the same problem wit the GW webacc Version:
> ____________________________________________________
> Novell GroupWise WebAccess
> Version 8.0
> © Copyright 1993-2009 Novell, Inc. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
> Buildnummer: 92377
> Programmversion: 8.0.1 11.12.2010 (WebAccessServlet.class)
> ____________________________________________________
>
>
>
> with some attachment it works, but with some with bad name it works not
> and i got the error 404 message with attachmentname like this.
>
> on a second older Webaccess Server with the version:
>
>
> ____________________________________________________
> Novell GroupWise WebAccess
> Version 8.0
> © Copyright 1993-2009 Novell, Inc. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
> Buildnummer: 85855
> Programmversion: 8.0.1 27.1.2009 (WebAccessServlet.class)
> ____________________________________________________
>
>
> the same attachment open fine !
>
> "SAPLSTXBE /20110407/151328.pdf"
>
>

Ok, wouldn't it make sense to update them both and see what happens?


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

On 4/20/2011 5:06 AM, iwan wrote:
>
> Michael Bell;2097475 Wrote:
>> On 4/18/2011 5:36 AM, iwan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Any updates?
>>>
>>>

>> Support replied "can you give me a bit more info about the
>> attachments?
>> I took an rtf
>> file and a pdf file. Saved them both with a + and an& in the file
>> name.
>> From the Novell corp WA, I am able to open and save both in IE 8,
>> Firefox, Safari and Chrome without any errors or issues so I am
>> thinking
>> that it is not the existance of the character itself in the file name.
>> What type of files are these? Is the name, including the characther,
>> a
>> long file name or does it fall within the 8.3 naming convention? Can
>> you
>> forward one to me?"

>
> We created a text file with the following filename: "Project+test.txt"
> This file fails to download. Viewing the file works fine though.
>
>

Ok, and when you check the webaccess vesion, like the other fellow did,
what do you find? (He's clicking the big NOVELL GROUPWISE WEBACCESS
title in the upper left after you log in)
0 Likes
iwan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

Michael Bell;2098407 wrote:
On 4/20/2011 5:06 AM, iwan wrote:
>
> Michael Bell;2097475 Wrote:
>> On 4/18/2011 5:36 AM, iwan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Any updates?
>>>
>>>

>> Support replied "can you give me a bit more info about the
>> attachments?
>> I took an rtf
>> file and a pdf file. Saved them both with a + and an& in the file
>> name.
>> From the Novell corp WA, I am able to open and save both in IE 8,
>> Firefox, Safari and Chrome without any errors or issues so I am
>> thinking
>> that it is not the existance of the character itself in the file name.
>> What type of files are these? Is the name, including the characther,
>> a
>> long file name or does it fall within the 8.3 naming convention? Can
>> you
>> forward one to me?"

>
> We created a text file with the following filename: "Project+test.txt"
> This file fails to download. Viewing the file works fine though.
>
>

Ok, and when you check the webaccess vesion, like the other fellow did,
what do you find? (He's clicking the big NOVELL GROUPWISE WEBACCESS
title in the upper left after you log in)


See the info below:

Novell GroupWise WebAccess
Versie 8.0
© Copyright 1993-2010 Novell, Inc. Alle rechten voorbehouden.
Buildnummer: 92377
Programmaversie: 8.0.2 11-12-2010 (WebAccessServlet.class)
0 Likes
iwan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

I'm still experiencing tis problem. It's really difficult for our users. I have updated webacess to 8.02 HP3 and the problem still exists. See the version info below:

About Novell GroupWise
Novell GroupWise WebAccess
Version 8.0
© Copyright 1993-2010 Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.
Build Number: 96933
Program Release: 8.0.2 9/14/2011 (WebAccessServlet.class)
Browser Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
JavaScript: Available
Source: css
0 Likes
iwan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

I've discovered that the + sign in the attachment somehow gets stripped by GroupWise. If I try to save the file 'TODO+revision.txt' in WebAccess it shows as "/gw/webacc/TODO%2brevision.txt?action=Attachment.Save....." in the address bar of the internet browser.

The resulting error is:
404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

When I replace the '%2b' in the URL with the plus sign, it still displays the same error.
The strange thing is that when I leave the plus sign and the '%2b' out alltoghether, it saves the attachment just fine ("/gw/webacc/TODOrevision.txt?action=Attachment.Save....."). So it seems the plus sign is stripped completely.

How can I get webaccess to save attachments with a plus sign correctly?

I also noticed that the Windows Groupwise client does exactly the same thing with the plus sign, only the GW client does manage to save the attachment correctly.

OS: Windows server 2008 R2 with IIS
GW Webaccess: 8.0.2 9/14/2011
0 Likes
iwan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

Is someone willing to test this? I'm curious to see if this only occurs on the Windows 2008 R2/GW 8.02 platform, because Michael Bell stated in a previous post he could not reproduce the problem.

I really need to fix this.
0 Likes
iwan1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

I have fixed the problem. It seems that IIS 7.5 does not allow double escaping by default, which will cause 404 errors when saving attachments with a 'plus' sign in the filename.

Solution: Modify the 'requestFiltering' attribute and set it to 'allowDoubleEscaping=true'. You can do this by selecting the 'Default website' (if you created your own site for webaccess, select that one) and open the 'Configuration Editor' option. In the 'Configuration Editor' go to 'system.webServer/security/requestFiltering' and set the ''allowDoubleEscaping' value to true. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I restarted the IIS, Tomcat, and Webaccess services.

After changing this option in IIS, I no longer experience problems with attachments that have a 'plus' in the filename. I hope it helps someone else with this problem.

Iwan
0 Likes
spaschall Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

iwan;2146856 wrote:
I have fixed the problem. It seems that IIS 7.5 does not allow double escaping by default, which will cause 404 errors when saving attachments with a 'plus' sign in the filename.

Solution: Modify the 'requestFiltering' attribute and set it to 'allowDoubleEscaping=true'. You can do this by selecting the 'Default website' (if you created your own site for webaccess, select that one) and open the 'Configuration Editor' option. In the 'Configuration Editor' go to 'system.webServer/security/requestFiltering' and set the ''allowDoubleEscaping' value to true. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I restarted the IIS, Tomcat, and Webaccess services.

After changing this option in IIS, I no longer experience problems with attachments that have a 'plus' in the filename. I hope it helps someone else with this problem.

Iwan


We are on GroupWise 2012 SP2 running on Windows 2008 R2. Evidently, Novell has still not resolved this issue, as we just had a user email out an attachment containing a "-" as part of the attachment filename... and no one could open it through GW WebAccess. Everyone was getting the "404- File not found, etc." error when trying to click on the attachment link. The regular client could open it just fine.

Your workaround did the trick, though! Thank you for posting! Novell, please fix this ancient bug!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: 404 error when saving or opening attachment

Hi spaschall

As far as I am aware this is specifically an IIS issue and not a GroupWise issue. IIS will fail on any website that it is running if you try to access a document with a "-" or "+" etc, unless you have allowed double escaping.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.