iliadmin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1426 views

553 and 503 error Sending to one Domain

Having a super strange issue with just one of our vendors in Japan. In Mid-May,
our email started bouncing back to them. The bounce back says (real info has been
redacted as per company policy):

The original message was received at Thu, 10 Jul 2014 15:32:15 -0500
from ip-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.sub.isp.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<first.last@vendorname.co.jp>
(reason: 553 Invalid address syntax)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to amxi.aics.ne.jp.:
>>> DATA
<<< 553 Invalid address syntax
550 5.1.1 <first.last@vendorname.co.jp>... User unknown
<<< 503 No recipients specified

The addresses we sent the email to for this vendor are valid, as we can send to them using Gmail or Yahoo! and the messages get through to the recipients. And before mid-May, our messages were being accepted by them to these very same addresses.
Our mail relay provider has tested the mail server via telnet and e-mail to same exact addresses is accepted.
Our mail relay provider and I have verified the MX records look fine for their domain.
We can send to any other companies in Japan successfully.

Not getting much help / ideas at this point. Their network admin has done some checking, but claims he has no detailed info in his logs (Exchange, I believe) to say why their system thinks the address is either invalid or empty (no recipients specified). I have asked they check for a spare character in front of the address, or an empty character, etc. but have not gotten any help there.
I have asked if they have made any recent changes, again not much of an answer there.

Yesterday, we were assigned a new purchasing contact there, an address we had not sent mail to before. The first message went thru and we were hopeful things were maybe fixed. Today sending mail to that new message bounced back with the same
bounceback errors.

I am looking for any ideas here. This is an issue with the one vendor, it does not affect any other company, vendor, or person to whom we send e-mail via Groupwise, just these guys. Has anyone ever experienced this before with Groupwise? Is it something in Groupwise, or something else? We've not applied any new patches to Groupwise since earlier this year, well before the issue
started in May. Our mail relay provider did switch their screening product in mid-April and made the cutover the end of April,
and we had no issues then sending to anyone. It's just a real head-scratcher for everyone.

GW 2018 & Mobility Service-Version: 18.1.0 Build: 410 on SLES 12SP3, GW Client 18.02 (Build 131493) on Windows 7 64bit; server OES 11 on SLES 11 SP3; eDirectory 9.1 on SLES12SP3 and eDirectory 8.8sp8 on SLES11 SP3
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: 553 and 503 error Sending to one Domain

Hi.

On 10.07.2014 23:56, iliadmin wrote:
> Our mail relay provider has tested the mail server via telnet and e-mail
> to same exact addresses is accepted.


....

> I am looking for any ideas here. This is an issue with the one vendor,
> it does not affect any other company, vendor, or person to whom we send
> e-mail via Groupwise, just these guys. Has anyone ever experienced this
> before with Groupwise? Is it something in Groupwise, or something else?
> We've not applied any new patches to Groupwise since earlier this year,
> well before the issue


Please note that the main interface to the outside world is your relay
provider, and not groupwise. WHatever the issue is, there's at least an
80% chnance it's at that point in the conversation.

And to really do a diagnosis here, you need a lan trace of the outgoing
traffic from your provider.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
iliadmin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 553 and 503 error Sending to one Domain

Massimo, thank you for the reply.

I know it's probably between our relay provider and the vendor. However, instead of just sitting on my hands
waiting for those two to work it out, I thought I'd keep up searching and put out there my current experience
in the hopes that maybe someone reads is and says "yeah, we experienced that and it turned out it was blah blah blah".
You never know. The relay provider did the trace, and they can't figure out that there's anything wrong that they can see.
it's just bouncing back with those errors. It is most likely on the vendor's side/system, but my impression is the network admin may not have a high level of experience to troubleshoot this, so it is falling back on me to get it resolved.

It was worth a shot.

GW 2018 & Mobility Service-Version: 18.1.0 Build: 410 on SLES 12SP3, GW Client 18.02 (Build 131493) on Windows 7 64bit; server OES 11 on SLES 11 SP3; eDirectory 9.1 on SLES12SP3 and eDirectory 8.8sp8 on SLES11 SP3
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.