Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
6012 views

AOL 220 error

Upgraded GroupWise 7.0.3 to 8.0.0 on a Netware 6.5 sp7 server. (used the Caledonia Upgrade Guide for GW8 - gotta love Danita - it was very easy to do)
Now getting AOL 220 errors (have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned)
NOTE: I have gone to AOL (http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/rdns.html) and verified that they see a PTR record for mail.hackettcc.org
Also - getting refused by server other companies.
Applied the GW8hp1 patch - same problem.
Verified the gwia.cfg file has HN-mail.hackettcc.org in it. (As does the GWIA in NDS)
This was working before we upgraded GW to 8.

Looking for help in how to fix this.
Thanks,
Rick


Here is the actual GWIA log file for the issue: (note - I changed the real user at aol.com to user@aol.com)

09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 File: CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\wpcsout\gwif3a3\4\49E9A335.680 Message Id: (49E9DB6A.565:205:14324) Size: 445
09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 Sender: Admin@hackettcc.org
09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 Converting message to MIME: CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\send\x9e9a343.001
09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 Recipient: user@aol.com
09:54:11 3AE Switching link state to SENDING_ALLOWED.

09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 Queuing message to daemon: CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\send\s9e9a343.001
09:54:11 177 DMN: MSG 3561 Sending file: CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\send\p9e9a343.001
09:54:12 177 DMN: MSG 3561 Attempting to connect to mailin-02.mx.aol.com (205.188.249.91)
09:54:12 177 DMN: MSG 3561 Connected to [205.188.249.91] (mailin-02.mx.aol.com)
09:54:13 177 DMN: MSG 3561 Send Failure: 501 SYNTAX ERROR IN PARAMETERS OR ARGUMENTS

09:54:13 177 DMN: MSG 3561 SMTP session ended: [205.188.249.91] (mailin-02.mx.aol.com)
09:54:41 313 MSG 3561 Analyzing result file: CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\result\r9e9a343.001
09:54:41 313 MSG 3561 Command: aol.com
09:54:41 313 MSG 3561 Response: 220 have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned.
09:54:41 313 MSG 3561 Deferring message: CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\defer\s9e9a343.001
Labels (2)
0 Likes
21 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: AOL 220 error

Hi,

> Rick Remynse wrote:
>
> Upgraded GroupWise 7.0.3 to 8.0.0 on a Netware 6.5 sp7 server. (used
> the Caledonia Upgrade Guide for GW8 - gotta love Danita - it was very
> easy to do)
> Now getting AOL 220 errors (have no reverse-DNS (PTR record)
> assigned)
> NOTE: I have gone to AOL (http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/rdns.html)
> and verified that they see a PTR record for mail.hackettcc.org
> Also - getting refused by server other companies.
> Applied the GW8hp1 patch - same problem.
> Verified the gwia.cfg file has HN-mail.hackettcc.org in it. (As does
> the GWIA in NDS)
> This was working before we upgraded GW to 8.


You look at the wrong side of things here. You need to look at your
outgoing IP Address. Apparently, *that* has chnaged somehow during your
upgrade (new/different server?). The name of your GWIA isn't relevant in
this error, only the outgoing IP is, and that apparently now no longer
reverse resolves into a name. There is absolutely no configuration
within GWIA that could in any way trigger this error, it's purely a
matter of the IP address, and the internet DNS.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AOL 220 error

Ok - server was upgraded, not changed.
IP address on server was not changed. It is a private IP. NAT is being handled at the router or pix.

What do I look for in the server that could have been changed?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: AOL 220 error

Hi,

> Rick Remynse wrote:
>
> Ok - server was upgraded, not changed.
> IP address on server was not changed. It is a private IP. NAT is
> being handled at the router or pix.
>
> What do I look for in the server that could have been changed?


As I said: absolutely nothing. The error message is perfectly clear. The
IP address that connects to AOLs Mailserver does not reverse resolve.
This is not something you have any influence on from the GW side of
things. The only piece where you can control any aspect of this is
through the public IP address used (i.e on your router/NAT). The reverse
DNS delgation is also nothing you usually can control, but this (almost
always, except you really *own* your IP addresses) is your ISPs job. It
may be coincidence, and your ISP broke something. Or it has never worked
before, and you just now notice it. But again, there is absolutely no
whatsoever way this very error can be triggered through groupwise, or
any aspect of the setup of groupwise. It's between the public IP, and
the internet DNS. Nothing else is involved here, so please stop
searching in your GW setup, it's futile.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AOL 220 error

Does you server have more than one IP address bound? If so, you may need
to change "Bind exclusively to this address".

I have encountered several servers where the secondary IP address is the
one natted to the correct public IP address....


Rick Remynse wrote:
> Upgraded GroupWise 7.0.3 to 8.0.0 on a Netware 6.5 sp7 server. (used
> the Caledonia Upgrade Guide for GW8 - gotta love Danita - it was very
> easy to do)
> Now getting AOL 220 errors (have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned)
> NOTE: I have gone to AOL (http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/rdns.html)
> and verified that they see a PTR record for mail.hackettcc.org
> Also - getting refused by server other companies.
> Applied the GW8hp1 patch - same problem.
> Verified the gwia.cfg file has HN-mail.hackettcc.org in it. (As does
> the GWIA in NDS)
> This was working before we upgraded GW to 8.
>
> Looking for help in how to fix this.
> Thanks,
> Rick
>
>
> Here is the actual GWIA log file for the issue: (note - I changed the
> real user at aol.com to user@aol.com <mailto:user@aol.com>)
>
> 09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 File:
> CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\wpcsout\gwif3a3\4\49E9A335.680 Message
> Id: (49E9DB6A.565:205:14324) Size: 445
> 09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 Sender: Admin@hackettcc.org
> <mailto:Admin@hackettcc.org>
> 09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 Converting message to MIME:
> CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\send\x9e9a343.001
> 09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 Recipient: user@aol.com <mailto:user@aol.com>
> 09:54:11 3AE Switching link state to SENDING_ALLOWED.
>
> 09:54:11 3AE MSG 3561 Queuing message to daemon:
> CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\send\s9e9a343.001
> 09:54:11 177 DMN: MSG 3561 Sending file:
> CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\send\p9e9a343.001
> 09:54:12 177 DMN: MSG 3561 Attempting to connect to mailin-02.mx.aol.com
> (205.188.249.91)
> 09:54:12 177 DMN: MSG 3561 Connected to [205.188.249.91]
> (mailin-02.mx.aol.com)
> 09:54:13 177 DMN: MSG 3561 Send Failure: 501 SYNTAX ERROR IN PARAMETERS
> OR ARGUMENTS
>
> 09:54:13 177 DMN: MSG 3561 SMTP session ended: [205.188.249.91]
> (mailin-02.mx.aol.com)
> 09:54:41 313 MSG 3561 Analyzing result file:
> CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\result\r9e9a343.001
> 09:54:41 313 MSG 3561 Command: aol.com
> 09:54:41 313 MSG 3561 Response: 220 have no reverse-DNS (PTR
> record) assigned.
> 09:54:41 313 MSG 3561 Deferring message:
> CSGK-GW/VOL1:\DOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\defer\s9e9a343.001

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AOL 220 error

The server only has one IP address. NO secondaries.
Thanks for the thought.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AOL 220 error

If you send me an email I could look at your headers and find the IP address
that your GWIA is using and check the reverse dns for you . . .


ted --at-- davisbrownlaw.com

>>> On 4/20/09 at 5:40 AM, Rick Remynse<rick@nospam.remynse.net> wrote:

> Ok - server was upgraded, not changed.
> IP address on server was not changed. It is a private IP. NAT is being
> handled at the router or pix.
>
> What do I look for in the server that could have been changed?

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AOL 220 error

Ok - still not connection to AOL. PTR record appears to be perfect. Everything else in GW seems to work.
Next step is to create a GW7 GWIA and WebAccess on a different server.

Looking for help in doing this correctly.

Do I:
Create a new secondary domain: INT-DOM (Which will create the MTA)
Create a new GWIA & Webaccess in C1 Not sure about this - create these under the primary domain, or secondary domain?
Install a 7.0.3 MTA, GWIA, Webaccess agent on a different server.
Then change the nat pairing on the router to point to the different server.

Thanks for you help on this.
Rick

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: AOL 220 error

Hi,

> Rick Remynse wrote:
>
> Ok - still not connection to AOL. PTR record appears to be perfect.


"Appears to be"? How do you *know*? AOL most definitely thinks it is
*NOT* ok, and I tend to believe them.

> Everything else in GW seems to work.


Yes, of course. I know, you insist on it being a GW problem, but it is
NOT. We can't help you when you insist on searching a problem sommewhere
where it definitely isn't.

> Next step is to create a GW7 GWIA and WebAccess on a different server.


If you insist on wasting your time, ok. I'm sorry you won't listen.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AOL 220 error

Massimo,

No need to get mad at me - I'd like you help.
From my end I have a client that can not get AOL mail. Period.

Going to AOL's site and using their program to check our PTR record - comes back OK.
Yet when we try and send to AOL - get the 220 error.
If I do a telnet into the GW server from outside, responds with 220 mail.hackettcc.org - as it should.
This worked before we upgraded from GW 7.0.3 to 8.0.
The router did not change, server did not change, ip address did not change. Only the version of GW has changed. It has to be something in my configuration from the upgrade or it is a AOL problem.

What about deleting the current GWIA and recreating it?
I noticed that the upgrade did not create a version 8 gwia.cfg. Still using version 7.0.3.

Thanks,
Rick
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: AOL 220 error

Hi,

> Rick Remynse wrote:
>
> Massimo,
>
> No need to get mad at me - I'd like you help.


Hey, I don't. It's just that there is really no way this can be a GW
problem. Either AOL is at fault, or your reverse DNS *is* wrong. Tom
here already asked you to send him an email, so he can verify it. You
can as well send one to me (mrosen AT cfc-it DOT de. I can tell you
immediately what's wrong. Whtever it is, it is not GW.

> From my end I have a client that can not get AOL mail. Period.


Right. And AOL says the DNS PTR of the connecting server (IP) doesn't
exist. Period.

> Going to AOL's site and using their program to check our PTR record -
> comes back OK.


And you are *absolutely* certain you check the correct IP?

> Yet when we try and send to AOL - get the 220 error.
> If I do a telnet into the GW server from outside, responds with 220
> mail.hackettcc.org - as it should.


Sure. That has *nothing* to do with the PTR. It is completely irrelevant
how your server answers. The absolutely *only* thing that matters, is
the IP Address AOLs Mailserver sees. It then tries to reverse resolve
that very IP to *ANY* name, and only if it can not find a name for that
IP *at all*, you will get that answer. Your configuration is entirely
irrelavant. *ONLY* the IP matters. Really. Really Really. You can
believe me.

> This worked before we upgraded from GW 7.0.3 to 8.0.


Coincidence.

> The router did not change, server did not change, ip address did not
> change. Only the version of GW has changed. It has to be something
> in my configuration from the upgrade or it is a AOL problem.


In that case it must be a AOL problem. Or you may *think* nothing
changed, but it did. It could be your ISP.

> What about deleting the current GWIA and recreating it?


That *can not* help. This will not change your public IP address. What
do I need to do that you believe me? Beg?

> I noticed that the upgrade did not create a version 8 gwia.cfg. Still
> using version 7.0.3.


Completely normal, and unrelated. That field doesn't update on it's own,
and isn't used. You can set it yourself to whatever version you want.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AOL 220 error

Email is on it's way to you.
Thanks
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: AOL 220 error

Hi,

> Rick Remynse wrote:
>
> Email is on it's way to you.
> Thanks


And I replied. Everything looks fine from here, so it indeed points to a
problem at AOLs side, or at least an improper error message from them.
The only thing that helps at that point is to ask their postmaster.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AOL 220 error

Massimo Rosen

This is the first part of a deferred message to AOL -I do not remember seeing this info in GW 7 emails. Is this new? Part of my problem?

Thanks,
Rick


<IaHead>
<IaMsgTag>00001c59</IaMsgTag>
<IaMsgSize>00000a4d</IaMsgSize>
<IaGwMsgId>49F07C6D.6B2:171:27428</IaGwMsgId>
<IaMsgSender>
<GivenName>Becky</GivenName>
<Surname>Reits</Surname>
<EmailAddress>BReits@stmonicakzoo.org</EmailAddress>
<Domain>domain</Domain>
<PostOffice>stm-po</PostOffice>
<UserId>BReits</UserId>
<Idomain>stmonicakzoo.org</Idomain>
</IaMsgSender>
<IaMsgSubject>Re: meeting</IaMsgSubject>
<IaDestHost Index="1" />
<IaMsg8Bit>34152</IaMsg8Bit>
<IaDsnOptions
Return="Headers"
Notify="Success,Failure"
SendInboxNotice="No"
/>
<IaSendInfo>
<IaSendAttempts Count="0001"/>
<IaInitialSendAttempt>49f0b4c7</IaInitialSendAttempt>
<IaLastSendAttempt>00000000</IaLastSendAttempt>
</IaSendInfo>
</IaHead>
aol.com
EHLO mail.hackettcc.org
MAIL FROM:<BReits@stmonicakzoo.org>
*U1* RCPT TO:<bdmoyer5@aol.com>
DATA
Received: from domain-MTA by mail.hackettcc.org
with Novell_GroupWise; Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:34:47 -0400
Message-Id: <49F07C6D.6B24.00AB.1@stmonicakzoo.org>
X-Mailer: Novell GroupWise Internet Agent 8.0.0
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:34:29 -0400
From: "Becky Reits" <BReits@stmonicakzoo.org>
To: <bdmoyer5@aol.com>
Subject: Re: meeting
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: AOL 220 error

Massimo,

Did a telnet session from the GW server (using tel.nlm) to aol.
Was able to send a message with no problem.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.