marksammon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Activesync calendar not working, no contacts in Outlook 2016

Hi,

I've installed the GMS2.1 server and configured it in the DMZ to allow external connections over 443 for ActiveSync.

I am able to connect via ActiveSync using Outlook 2016 and on Android using both the Gmail and Outlook for Android apps. Email sync works great.

In Outlook for Android

• When adding an address of a company user to an email, Outlook for Android gives me the option to search directory and correctly finds the users email from the server directory.
  • There is no separate area for calendar in the Outlook for Android app. Checking the inbuilt Android calendar shows no events synced from the server.

SUMMARY: Email and contacts work but no Calendar

In Gmail for Android

• When adding an address of a company user in an email, Gmail offers no addresses from my company directory and only points to the in built list in the contacts app.
  • Adding an account to Gmail adds the account to the Android Calendar. This appears to allow me to add an event to the calendar for the ActiveSync account, however none of the events on the server have synced to my device and no new events added to my ActiveSync account on my phone appear on the server.

SUMMARY: Email only, no contacts or calendar

In Outlook 2016 (Full Desktop)

• When adding an address of a company user in an email, Outlook offers no addresses from the company directory as the Outlook for Android App does.
  • The calendar section in Outlook allows me to add entries however these do not sync back to the server and are not seen in the GW Client of Webmail.

SUMMARY: Email only, no Calendar or contacts.

If contact searching works in the Outlook for Android app, can we speculate as to why it doesn't work in Gmail or the full Outlook client?

Are we able to get synchronisation of Calendar items using ActiveSync? Is there any additional configuration required on the GMS server?

We are trying to remove the old Blackberry server and replace with ActiveSync but if basic functionality doesn't work then we may need to consider other options. 😞

Thanks

Mark
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Activesync calendar not working, no contacts in Outlook 2016

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 17:14:02 GMT, marksammon
<marksammon@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
>Hi,
>
>I've installed the GMS2.1 server and configured it in the DMZ to allow
>external connections over 443 for ActiveSync.

>We are trying to remove the old Blackberry server and replace with
>ActiveSync but if basic functionality doesn't work then we may need to
>consider other options. 😞

For starters, you really ought to be using a current version of GMS. I
think 2.1 is about 3 years old. Lots has happened in that time
period. See if that helps.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Activesync calendar not working, no contacts in Outlook 2016

In article <marksammon.8qzsxb@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Marksammon
wrote:
> I've installed the GMS2.1 server and configured it in the DMZ to allow
> external connections over 443 for ActiveSync.

GMS 2.1 predates the Outlook bits all working. You basically should be
up to at least GroupWise 2014 R2 with the matching GMS to get what you
want.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!
GMS troubleshooting tips at
https://www.konecnyad.ca/andyk/gwmobility.htm

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
peawet08 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Activesync calendar not working, no contacts in Outlook

Sorry guys, it isn't GMS 2.1 it is Version: 18.0.0 Build: 222
😮
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mark,

In the GMS Admin Console | Config | GroupWise | GroupWise items to sync | are appointments selected?

With regards to the GroupWise system address book, see here: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/gwmob18_qs_user/data/gwmob18_qs_user.html - Section 3, Contacts.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
marksammon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

I put the latest 18.1 update on and it seems to have fixed the problem.

We haven't updated the main server yet to 18.1, could that cause any issue?

Also, for reference, I updated the GMS and the dsahboard all displayed correctly, then ran a SUSE package manager update which update 69 packages. After the package manager update the GMS Web UI was available but the Dashboard screen had no values. I re-ran the GMS Service update and it all came back.

I'll continue testing.

Thank you

Mark
0 Likes
peawet08 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Guys,

Just replying to update on this one.

This original issue was that whilst I thought I had setup using ActiveSync, the phone had actually set itself up using IMAP.

The connection works on ActiveSync. Calendar and contacts are correct.

Thanks for your help

Mark
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.