Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
jasont Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Add user photo GW 2014 R2

Is there a particular format the images must be in order to add them? According to the documentation, it appears to be straight forward. All we get is image could not be added to the user. Does this function work as documented?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Add user photo GW 2014 R2

Hi,

I've not had any problems with this. I'm using PNG format. What format and size are your images?

Please let us know.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
ucba Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm also seeing this error. I have been able to add about 30 photos, but some just won't add. All the photo's are 160x160 jpg files.
It would be nice to exact exact detail of requirements, which eDir object is being updated etc.
All my users have eDir photo's already, but they were existing in LDAP linked users in Groupwise when we updated to groupwise.
Thanks
Eric.

I also note that I can't sync the user in Groupwise if I select the sync photo option. This appears to be a Groupwise issue.
0 Likes
ucba Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay, issue sorted. By connecting to the primary domain (physically the primary domain domain service, not just switching to it from another service) I was able to finish loading my photos.
Still unable to sync photo from eDir, although the photo's are the same. In my case I've manually added photo's into Groupwise.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Perhaps I have a few pointers for you...

In the Admin Console | System | LDAP Servers | Select your eDirectory Tree/Directory | in the middle of the config screen is the option "LDAP Image Attribute" This can be set to either "jpegPhoto" or just "Photo". You need to select the matching attribute that you populated in eDir. Also, I am told, that these attributes are restricted to a 64K or smaller image.

May I suggest that you check that you match what I have said above and please report back your findings. Many thanks.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
jasont Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Laura, that did the trick.

laurabuckley;2416028 wrote:
Hi,

Perhaps I have a few pointers for you...

In the Admin Console | System | LDAP Servers | Select your eDirectory Tree/Directory | in the middle of the config screen is the option "LDAP Image Attribute" This can be set to either "jpegPhoto" or just "Photo". You need to select the matching attribute that you populated in eDir. Also, I am told, that these attributes are restricted to a 64K or smaller image.

May I suggest that you check that you match what I have said above and please report back your findings. Many thanks.

Cheers,
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Should any interested person come across this thread....... there is now a community created script to upload photos into GroupWise 2014 R2.

Take a look here: https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/cool_tools/scripts-prepare-upload-pictures-groupwise-2014-r2/

Perhaps some of you kind folk will find this of assistance 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
jgoy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,
we added about 250 .jpg successfully. Now I'm trying to replace one of the photographs. Deleted the old one and saved the profile, logged out of the admin console and logged in again. When I try to upload a new .jpg (size about 50 K) the picture editor doesn't come up and the 'The image could not be added to the user' message appears instead (see attached screenshot)

Switched the config from "jpegPhoto" to "photo" didn't the trick here.

Have you got any other ideas how to fix it?

Best regards
jgoy

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Have you synced the photo to eDirectory?

Please let us know - thanks.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
jgoy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, we did. After I deleted the photo we synced and try to upload a new one.
The upload seems to fail. The 'edit photo plugin' doesn't appear...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

What happens if you use iManager to upload the photo into eDirectory and then try to sync it from eDir back to GroupWise?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
jgoy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
the screen turns grey and nothing seems to happen. When I close the 'Synchronize the user details with the directory' box (override current GroupWise picture is activated) I can see that the sync obviously failed...

Cheers,
jgoy
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Try restarting your gwadminservice. I've seen a couple of times if there is a problem with the photo stuff, restarting adminservice may fix it.

--Morris

>>> jgoy<jgoy@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> 2/5/2016 5:16 AM >>>

Hi,

the screen turns grey and nothing seems to happen. When I close the

'Synchronize the user details with the directory' box (override current

GroupWise picture is activated) I can see that the sync obviously

failed...

Cheers,

jgoy

--

jgoy

------------------------------------------------------------------------
jgoy's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=24180

View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=495761
0 Likes
jgoy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi there
restarting gwadminservice did resolve the issue here! 🙂

Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge!!
--
Cheers,
jgoy
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.