Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1297 views

Adding Internet User to Internal Distribution Lists

Hello,
I am in the process of trying to add an external email address to some of our internal Distribution Lists and am not having much luck. This is the first time we have wanted to add an external user so I started from the beginning by following these steps: Support | Adding Internet Users to the Address Book and Distribution Lists.

The issue comes when sending to the list, I have one internal user and one external user for testing. The internal user gets the email fine, but I get a reply back stating "Item to user(s) at External Domain.External PO was undeliverable, subject: Test".

I followed the steps here Support | Cannot send mail to External domain for verifying I have the external domain linked correct and everything I look at says I do.

We are running GW8. Any thoughts on where I should look next?

Thank you
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Internet User to Internal Distribution Lists

damloste,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Adding Internet User to Internal Distribution Lists

Hi

Perhaps take a look at the documentation: Novell Documentation

You may find a clue or something in there.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Internet User to Internal Distribution Lists

What we have done is to create an "External Domain" under our GroupWise
System object to house all of the external PO's, and then created an
"External Post Office" for each external user/company Internet domain
name (i.e. - external PO of "XYZcorp" for external users at xyzcorp.com).

We then setup the "Internet domain name" field (i.e. - "xyzcorp.com")
under the "Internet Addressing" property tab for each External PO. I
also check the boxes for "For incoming mail, recipients are known
exclusively by this Internet domain name".

Then create the external users under the corresponding external PO,
selecting the "visibility" on the "Account" tab, and adding them to any
distribution lists you want.

We hit a small snag with an external user that had the same user ID as
one of our internal users. In that instance, we used a different user
ID for the external user, and then for that external user we had to
"override" the preferred E-mail ID with the correct e-mail user name on
the user properties tab.

-Greg


On 5/3/2013 6:46 PM, damloste wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am in the process of trying to add an external email address to
> some of our internal Distribution Lists and am not having much luck.
> This is the first time we have wanted to add an external user so I
> started from the beginning by following these steps: 'Support | Adding
> Internet Users to the Address Book and Distribution Lists'
> (http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3230787).
>
> The issue comes when sending to the list, I have one internal user and
> one external user for testing. The internal user gets the email fine,
> but I get a reply back stating "Item to user(s) at External
> Domain.External PO was undeliverable, subject: Test".
>
> I followed the steps here 'Support | Cannot send mail to External
> domain' (http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7004201) for
> verifying I have the external domain linked correct and everything I
> look at says I do.
>
> We are running GW8. Any thoughts on where I should look next?
>
> Thank you
>
>



--
former e-mail for posting:
gtnbuckeye@NOnetscapeSPAM.net
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Internet User to Internal Distribution Lists

gtn,
Thank you for the reply. Did you come across any issues when linking your external domain with a gateway to your primary? That seems to be when I am having issues.

Thank you

gtn;2263413 wrote:
What we have done is to create an "External Domain" under our GroupWise
System object to house all of the external PO's, and then created an
"External Post Office" for each external user/company Internet domain
name (i.e. - external PO of "XYZcorp" for external users at xyzcorp.com).

We then setup the "Internet domain name" field (i.e. - "xyzcorp.com")
under the "Internet Addressing" property tab for each External PO. I
also check the boxes for "For incoming mail, recipients are known
exclusively by this Internet domain name".

Then create the external users under the corresponding external PO,
selecting the "visibility" on the "Account" tab, and adding them to any
distribution lists you want.

We hit a small snag with an external user that had the same user ID as
one of our internal users. In that instance, we used a different user
ID for the external user, and then for that external user we had to
"override" the preferred E-mail ID with the correct e-mail user name on
the user properties tab.

-Greg


On 5/3/2013 6:46 PM, damloste wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am in the process of trying to add an external email address to
> some of our internal Distribution Lists and am not having much luck.
> This is the first time we have wanted to add an external user so I
> started from the beginning by following these steps: 'Support | Adding
> Internet Users to the Address Book and Distribution Lists'
> (Support | Adding Internet Users to the Address Book and Distribution Lists).
>
> The issue comes when sending to the list, I have one internal user and
> one external user for testing. The internal user gets the email fine,
> but I get a reply back stating "Item to user(s) at External
> Domain.External PO was undeliverable, subject: Test".
>
> I followed the steps here 'Support | Cannot send mail to External
> domain' (Support | Cannot send mail to External domain) for
> verifying I have the external domain linked correct and everything I
> look at says I do.
>
> We are running GW8. Any thoughts on where I should look next?
>
> Thank you
>
>



--
former e-mail for posting:
gtnbuckeye@NOnetscapeSPAM.net
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Internet User to Internal Distribution Lists

I remember having to do anything special beyond what I described. Those
steps allowed me to get external user addresses to be available in the
system address book, and available for use in distribution lists. No
links needed between the external domain and primary domain. If I look
at the link configuration for the external domain, there are none
configured. The only domain link configured in our system is for the
primary domain to the GWIA.

I did just check the external domain's properties, and saw that I had
manually overrode the Internet Addressing to use the "UserID@Internet
domain name" format. No other changes to the external domain, POs, or
users from the default settings other than what I had previously mentioned.

We do have a small system (70 users), with a single MTA servicing our
our domain, GWIA, WebAccess, and POA. If your system is more complex,
there maybe something I'm not aware of that needs configured.

-Greg

On 5/14/2013 5:36 PM, damloste wrote:
>
> gtn,
> Thank you for the reply. Did you come across any issues when
> linking your external domain with a gateway to your primary? That seems
> to be when I am having issues.
>
> Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Internet User to Internal Distribution Lists

gtn,
I created a new external domain to make sure nothing was linked and it is still having issues. What I get is 'transfer failed' when looking at the properties of the message. I looked at the GWIA logs and I am not even seeing that my message is getting there as there is no log about it.

Thank you


gtn;2263779 wrote:
I remember having to do anything special beyond what I described. Those
steps allowed me to get external user addresses to be available in the
system address book, and available for use in distribution lists. No
links needed between the external domain and primary domain. If I look
at the link configuration for the external domain, there are none
configured. The only domain link configured in our system is for the
primary domain to the GWIA.

I did just check the external domain's properties, and saw that I had
manually overrode the Internet Addressing to use the "UserID@Internet
domain name" format. No other changes to the external domain, POs, or
users from the default settings other than what I had previously mentioned.

We do have a small system (70 users), with a single MTA servicing our
our domain, GWIA, WebAccess, and POA. If your system is more complex,
there maybe something I'm not aware of that needs configured.

-Greg

On 5/14/2013 5:36 PM, damloste wrote:
>
> gtn,
> Thank you for the reply. Did you come across any issues when
> linking your external domain with a gateway to your primary? That seems
> to be when I am having issues.
>
> Thank you
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Internet User to Internal Distribution Lists

Anything in the MTA logs?

What switches are in your gwia.cfg? It's possible you may need the
"/ARI-NEVER" switch added. We are using that GWIA switch, and the
documentation states:

"Enables or disables additional routing information that is put in the
SMTP return address to facilitate replies. This switch might be needed
in large systems with external GroupWise domains in which the external
GroupWise users have not been configured in your local domain. Options
include Never and Always. Most sites do not need to use this switch."

Do you have separate MTA's for the GWIA and primary domain? If so, then
you would need to follow the steps in the GW documentation that Laura
provided earlier to ensure that the external domain and GWIA are linked.

We only have one MTA which services our primary domain and GWIA. This
may may allow us to get by without defining a link for the external
domain, but we do have our primary domain as the "default routing
domain" (ConsoleOne > Tools > GroupWise System Operations > System
Preferences > Routing Options). Maybe this is why it works for us since
no links are defined.

-Greg

On 5/16/2013 11:16 AM, damloste wrote:
>
> gtn,
> I created a new external domain to make sure nothing was linked
> and it is still having issues. What I get is 'transfer failed' when
> looking at the properties of the message. I looked at the GWIA logs and
> I am not even seeing that my message is getting there as there is no log
> about it.
>
> Thank you

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.