Highlighted
ckh0d0a Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Adding a second server and Post Office

Windows 2012r2, Gw2018.0.1

Can anyone direct me to documentation to add a 2nd GW2018 server to a domain?  Attempts so far -installing the server, then adding a PO ... The install finds the Domain, but only copies poa file,  wphostdb file, and the start cmd.  The installer completes successfully, but no addtional PO files are installed. 

Corrupt Domain DB ? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding a second server and Post Office

Hi.

You're not giving us much detail to work with. No details about where you install what exactly, no error messages. Also you don't add "servers" to groupwise. You add domains and post offices.

I can only guess with the bit of info, but it seems you are adding a second post office on a different server than the one you already have? From your description, what else did you expect to happen? That's all that is needed (again, guesswork based on no detail), the rest will be created/copied when you start the po.

MAy I also ask why you're running such outdated software? I wouldn't recommend to anyone today to still run GW18.0..

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Thank you for the recommendation, we'll do that.    And Mobility too. 

We are in a test system - on the 2nd Windows server, we choose to install a Post Office only?  There is no need for the Server software? 

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@ckh0d0a wrote:

We are in a test system - on the 2nd Windows server, we choose to install a Post Office only?  There is no need for the Server software? 

You need to read the GroupWise documentation.

The post office is just a bunch of files. You need the same GroupWise software on the 2nd Windows server just like you have on your main GroupWise server to access them and manage them. 

• You need to install the GroupWise software.
  • You need to create a new secondary domain.
  • You need to create a new post office.
  • The 2nd Windows server will have its own MTA and POA.
  • Your configuration will connect it to your main GroupWise server.

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

OK, thank you  - - in the past I had skipped the secondary domain reading, other than a quick look-see.  Time to bring it into focus.   We will update the software on the [primary] first, then add a second Win server and Groupwise domain. 

But after a review of the documentation. 

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@KBOYLE wrote:

• You need to create a new secondary domain.

Ahem, no? While a second domain may make sense, there is absolutely no need for it whatsoever.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

OK ... I have it working.  The Domain Admin account (Windows) was having issues with the 2nd server NTFS file/folder rights.  Manually starting the poa from the folder displayed a number of [error] messages with a common theme relating to rw rights.  

- Install GW server on 2nd Windows server

- Install PO on 2nd server (with appropriate file system rights)

Plan to add users, send emails between POs in the test system, and look ahead to the Production system Version updates.... and the associated Mobility upgrade.  Thank you all for the replies - it kept me in the game. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.