Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Adding a secondary domain problem

Hi,

when I tried to add new secondary domain to our GW system, install procedure finally displays this error: Error adding secondary domain. The domain object is created, but staying in pending state. MTA agent is failing to start, only admin service is running.
Our GW system was migrated from 2012 several months ago and everything is working fine. I also have one GW8 domain (running on NetWare) for administrative purposes (I can't really forget C1). I also tried to create a new domain from C1 connected to secondary domain but got an error saying not enough rights.
So my question is where can I check the reason the secondary domain wasn't created successfully. Also I've noticed the new domain is created only inside GW system, there is no new eDir object created and no eDirectory information in it's properties. Is that correct?

Best regards,
Michael
Labels (1)
0 Likes
21 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Adding a secondary domain problem

Hi Michael,

Whilst I am unable, at this point, to assist you with the failure of your domain creation, just want to let you know that with GroupWise 2014 your GroupWise objects e.g. domain, post office, etc no longer have eDirectory objects. GroupWise 2014 is directory agnostic i.e. does not rely on an external directory for it's inner workings.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Check if the *.dc files are present in the domain directory, otherwise copy them there.
1) change to the domain directory
2) cp -p /opt/novell/groupwise/admin/data/gwdom.dc .
3) cp -p /opt/novell/groupwise/admin/data/gwpo.dc .
4) cp -p /opt/novell/groupwise/admin/data/wpdomain.dc .
5) cp -p /opt/novell/groupwise/admin/data/wphost.dc .
after that the MTA should start.

Had this in a few cases when creating a new domain the wpdomain.db gets created, but for unknown reasons the dc files do not get copied.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

thanks for your answer. Considering the fact GW2014 objects which were upgraded from previous versions do have eDir parts I suspect there is a way to grab new GW objects into eDir but don't know how to do that. I think this is looks like rudiment, but it helps in some cases (for C1 administration at least).

Regards,
Michael
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Michael,

Quite the opposite. Once you have upgraded to GroupWise 2014 you ultimately remove the GroupWise objects from eDirectory. They are no longer referenced by GroupWise. All of your administration for a GroupWise 2014 system takes place in the web based Administration Console. ConsoleOne is no longer, and should no longer, be used for a 2014 system.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you, it helps. But there is the same problem with gwia. I have checked it to create with the new domain and it didn't start after installation. No logs in /var/log/novell/grpwise to understand what's wrong.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura,

do you mean I should remove all eDirectory information for upgraded GW objects?

Regards,
Michael
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Michael,

Take a look for this directory:

/var/log/novell/groupwise/gwia.domain

The log files should be in there.

Please let us know if you find anything.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Michael,

Once your entire GroupWise system is completely upgraded to 2014 you may remove the old objects from eDirectory.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley wrote on 26.09.2016 14:06:
> Once your entire GroupWise system is completely upgraded to 2014 you may
> remove the old objects from eDirectory.

I left mine in place, so I can still use the Groupwise archive editor for older accounts.

Uwe

--
Micro Focus Knowledge Associate
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

this dir (/var/log/novell/groupwise/gwia.domain) was not created during gwia setup.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think it's better to have one in place. I had a problem recently - could not delete an external domain from GW system. The way I resolve it - by deleting it from C1. So, once in a while it may be of use.

Best regards,
Michael
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.