Highlighted
adrockk
New Member.
1820 views

Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

Hi All,

I'm trying to add a custom user attribute as an available field in the address book, but I'm not seeing it in the list of available eDir attributes to map as an Admin Defined Field. The eDir attributes I'm trying to add are associated with the 'person' and 'user' classes. Should custom attribs be showing up, and if so, do I need to associate the attribute with another object class for GW to see it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Labels (2)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

In article <adrockk.6jih5d@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Adrockk wrote:
> I'm trying to add a custom user attribute as an available field in the
> address book, but I'm not seeing it in the list of available eDir
> attributes to map as an Admin Defined Field. The eDir attributes I'm
> trying to add are associated with the 'person' and 'user' classes.
> Should custom attribs be showing up, and if so, do I need to associate
> the attribute with another object class for GW to see it?
>

eDir doesn't have any such loosey goosey type fields that I've found. I
think having such fields in eDir would be a recipe for trouble. The
proper way is to extend the appropriate schema which has its own
challenges, so perhaps share why you are looking for this function as
there are likely other ways to achieve what you are looking for.



Andy of
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
adrockk
New Member.

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

I've extended the schema, as I inferred above. The attributes I've added are already associated with the User and Person classes, and specifically they are called 'gradeLevel' and 'StudentNumber'. The eDir attributes are there and working fine from eDir's standpoint, I just can't map them to Groupwise admin-defined fields.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

Hi,

Talk me through how exactly you extended your schema and I'll see what I can do in my lab.

Let us know 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

adrockk;2331741 wrote:
I've extended the schema, as I inferred above. The attributes I've added are already associated with the User and Person classes, and specifically they are called 'gradeLevel' and 'StudentNumber'. The eDir attributes are there and working fine from eDir's standpoint, I just can't map them to Groupwise admin-defined fields.


I'm assuming you mean that when you go into ConsoleOne and find the Address book and edit the Admin Defined fields, that when you select the eDir Property, it's not showing your custom attribute names that you entered?
0 Likes
adrockk
New Member.

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

I used the Schema Manager in C1, and added an attribute called StudentNumber, with a type of Integer, made them single valued; I then went to Classes, and added that attribute to the User and Person classes.

0 Likes
adrockk
New Member.

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

'm assuming you mean that when you go into ConsoleOne and find the Address book and edit the Admin Defined fields, that when you select the eDir Property, it's not showing your custom attribute names that you entered?


Yes, exactly.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

adrockk;2331749 wrote:
I used the Schema Manager in C1, and added an attribute called StudentNumber, with a type of Integer, made them single valued; I then went to Classes, and added that attribute to the User and Person classes.


Ooh, I don't know if that's the way to go, but too late now. Normally you'd want to create an Aux class with aux attributes. Or so I'm told

Anyway, are you not able to even select that in ConsoleOne to add it to the admin defined fields?
Or are you able to add it, but you just never see it in the address book?
0 Likes
adrockk
New Member.

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

kjhurni;2331826 wrote:
Ooh, I don't know if that's the way to go, but too late now. Normally you'd want to create an Aux class with aux attributes. Or so I'm told


But then I'd need to individually extend every object with that aux class. I really wanted to have those attributes available by default for every object.

Anyway, are you not able to even select that in ConsoleOne to add it to the admin defined fields?


I'm not able to select it in C1. It's not showing up in the list of eDir properties that is opened in the "Map Additional Fields" screen.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

adrockk;2331755 wrote:
Yes, exactly.


For what it's worth, I can dupe this in GW 2012 even with custom attributes added correctly as aux attributes to an aux class.

I've inquired to Novell as to if this only works with the default eDir attributes for the User Class. By observation alone, it appears that is the case.
But the docs don't state this either way, so I can't be 100% sure.

I also don't know if this limitation is in GW 2014 since it uses LDAP-based directory integration, so it may work better there, but it may not.
--Kevin
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

Hi,

I concur with Kevin, I can't seem to get this working either!

Sorry 😞

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
adrockk
New Member.

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

I appreciate the time you guys spent trying; I'll see about raising an SR about it.

Thanks!

Adam

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

Hi Adam,

Sorry I wasn't able to assist directly. Please may I request that you post the outcome of your SR here so that we may all learn?

Thanks 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
adrockk
New Member.

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

laurabuckley;2331918 wrote:
Hi Adam,
Sorry I wasn't able to assist directly. Please may I request that you post the outcome of your SR here so that we may all learn?


Yes, I will; but I may not get to opening an SR for a week or so.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding eDir Custom Attribute as Admin Defined Field

adrockk;2332014 wrote:
Yes, I will; but I may not get to opening an SR for a week or so.


Any luck yet? Also, we don't know if GW 2014 has additional functionality in this respect.
Or at least I don't know.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.