bkesting Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Applying SLES 12 SP4 to GMS server

I am running the latest version of Mobility on a SLES 12 SP3 box. I am looking into patching the server to SP4. In the SLES documentation it notes to upgrade postgresql from 9.6 to 10, which needs to be done manually.

I remember when I installed SP3, there was a script that had to be run (/opt/novell/datasync/tools/pgUpdate94to96.sh) to get Mobility to work on SLES 12 SP3. Is there also a similar script or procedure to get Mobility to run on SLES 12 SP4 with Postgresql 10 installed?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Applying SLES 12 SP4 to GMS server

Hi,

Postgresql 9.6 will still be on the server on a standard patch from SP3 to SP4 and GMS continues to work with it. There's no script required.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

laurabuckley;2500108 wrote:
Hi,

Postgresql 9.6 will still be on the server on a standard patch from SP3 to SP4 and GMS continues to work with it. There's no script required.

Cheers,

The SLES documentation seems to suggest that PostgreSQL will be updated to version 10 with the application of SP4. So will there be two instances of PostgreSQL then?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

After upgrading my GMS servers from SLES 12 SP3 to SP4 I see the following postgresql rpms:

gms18:~ # rpm -qa | grep post
postgresql10-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
postgresql96-server-9.6.10-3.22.7.x86_64
postgresql96-9.6.10-3.22.7.x86_64
postgresql-init-10-17.20.1.noarch
postgresql10-server-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
postfix-3.2.0-1.28.x86_64
postgresql10-contrib-10.6-1.6.1.x86_64
gms18:~ #

So yes, the rpms for both versions are there. GMS continues to use 9.6

On a new installation only the version 10 rpms are installed and when you then install GMS it uses version 10.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Got it. So in the SLES documentation, it mentions that one should manually update postgresql 9.x databases to version 10 before the SP4 update, but with GMS, that step can be safely ignored?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

With all my GMS servers... I applied the SP and left the databases alone.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

laurabuckley;2500181 wrote:
Hi,

With all my GMS servers... I applied the SP and left the databases alone.

Cheers,

Good to know. Thanks again
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.