Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Backup encryption question

Hi all: During the backup up GW 2014, I have been using encryption during the backup process. But I am wondering if this is redundant. If someone were to get a hold of one of our backup tapes and restored the data to disk, could they read user emails? What about archived data?

Thanks, Chris.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Backup encryption question

Hi Chris

Remember that GroupWise uses proprietary encryption. If somebody was determined enough, yes they could resurrect a fully functional GroupWise system from your backup tapes, change user passwords and have access to the email. But a raw restore won't give them that. I guess it depends on just how paranoid you are! Just my two cents worth 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

cmosentine;2334099 wrote:
Hi all: During the backup up GW 2014, I have been using encryption during the backup process. But I am wondering if this is redundant. If someone were to get a hold of one of our backup tapes and restored the data to disk, could they read user emails? What about archived data?

Not directly. However there are data recovery and migration tools for GroupWise which some how manage to get through the encryption. Remember that the POA, itself, has all the info necessary to do that. So its not shocking or unexpected. However, its not as if someone stumbling on the files will see naked e-mail or attachment data. You should encrypt backup data for which the custody of the physical media cannot be guaranteed. However, during a disaster, the necessary keys to unlock the tapes may not necessarily be readily available. Part of your DR preparations would be to depot the necessary keys off site where a 3rd party, surviving the disaster, could retrieve them should the backup system, or its operators be destroyed.

-- bob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just trying to avoid the HIPAA storm troopers. Guess I will encrypt just to be safe.

>>> laurabuckley<laurabuckley@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 9/22/2014 4:46 PM >>>

Hi Chris

Remember that GroupWise uses proprietary encryption. If somebody was
determined enough, yes they could resurrect a fully functional GroupWise
system from your backup tapes, change user passwords and have access to
the email. But a raw restore won't give them that. I guess it depends
on just how paranoid you are! Just my two cents worth 🙂

Cheers,

--
Laura Buckley
Technical Consultant
IT Dynamics, South Africa

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
laurabuckley's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=122
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=479455
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.