Highlighted
New Member.

Best Pactices? Large communal workgroup mailbox

Hi all,
What's the best way of setting up so that many people (say 10-20) can respond to mails coming into a communal mailbox? We need everyone in the department to be able to view incoming mails, browse/search old incoming and outgoing mail, and when they send mail it must have the common reply-to address so that replies come back to the communal mailbox.

We've tried sending from individual mailboxes and changing the From field (using the "From" button). this works for New mail but doesn't work when replying to incoming mail - mail arrives in the communal box, forward as attachment to an individual mailbox for their attention, they hit reply but at this point you cannot change the From field so it goes out with the individual's reply-to address and not with the communal reply-to address. Also with this model the individual user still needs to proxy to the main mailbox to see traffic to/from other co-workers.

We've tried a system where everybody proxies into the communal mailbox all the time to send/receive/browse but there are a number of problems with this. We see BIG performance issues as the number of simultaneous proxies and the number of mail folders increase dramatically (huge lags whenever anything changes as multiple client notification UDPs go out and every client refreshes).

How do other people solve this problem?

thanks,
Joe
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Best Pactices? Large communal workgroup mailbox

Joe,

consider the following: Use a central account (resource or mail account, doesn't matter technically, only license wise). Move incoming mail to folder(s) with a rule. These folders are shared with the individual users. In an ideal world, you are able to sort the mail via rules into different folders shared with different people, depending on areas of responsibility. If the users have full proxy rights to the central account, they can change the "From" to the central account when replying.
Another option would be to use a distribution list, with all your users as a member. Downside: Can't use the distribution list's name when replying, and you have to avoid duplicate answers.

Uwe
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Uwe's method ( rule to move mail to a shared folder accessible by the masses + proxy rights so they can change their From: as required ) is the way we do it. Works well enough.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Thanks for your replies. Nope that doesn't work. The communal mailbox has a shared folder and has given me full rights. I also have full proxy rights. If a mail is put in the shared folder then from my account when I try to reply to it I cannot change the From field.

If I write a NEW mail I can indeed change the From field, but not when replying to a mail that originally came in through the communal mailbox. Similarly as noted in my OP if the communal mailbox forwards a mail to me (as attachment) when I reply I cannot change the From field.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

* Joe L wrote, On 09/19/2013 05:06 PM:
> If I write a NEW mail I can indeed change the From field, but not when
> replying to a mail that originally came in through the communal mailbox.
> Similarly as noted in my OP if the communal mailbox forwards a mail to
> me (as attachment) when I reply I cannot change the From field.

But it *should* work. Are you sure you have full proxy rights to the mailbox?

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I've checked I have full proxy rights. Does it work on your system?

I thought it might be a Client issue so queried it on the client forum () and raised a bug report with Novell - they have now confirmed the inability to change From when replying is "working as designed".

So if Novell prevented this by design how do I solve the original problem of many people working from a common workgroup mailbox? Surely many sites have had to solve this?

Cheers,
Joe
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

* Joe L wrote, On 10/11/2013 02:16 PM:
> Thanks for your reply. Yes I've checked I have full proxy rights. Does
> it work on your system?

Nope, I stand corrected 😕

Uwe

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

buckesfeld;2288064 wrote:

Nope, I stand corrected 😕

Darn it, I soooo wanted you to be right!! ;-)) and thanks for your time looking at the problem.

OK so at the moment we have no viable solution to this?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

* Joe L wrote, On 10/16/2013 02:16 PM:
> OK so at the moment we have no viable solution to this?

Unfortunately not, I'm afraid.

Uwe

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

>>> Joe LJoe_L@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 16.10.2013 15:16 >>

> OK so at the moment we have no viable solution to this?

Is setting up an free service desk application like OTRS out of the question? This could do the needed things + much more.
http://www.otrs.com/en/ . They also have a easy to setup appliance (currently on beta) http://www.otrs.com/en/open-source/community-news/release-notes/release-notes-otrs-appliance-100-beta1/

Of course it will still have some setup and learning but it has good LDAP support to integrate with edir etc..

-j-
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

It is certainly the route we have taken for this. We have also managed to get the integration to eDirectory for Agents to function which is nice 🙂
We use a communal mailbox otrs@.... address for inbound and outbound tickets to the system and just poll the IMAP service on the GWIA for tickets every minute, which are then transferred to OTRS and deleted from GW. You also have the benefit of being able to give your customers/users a nice web interface to report and track tickets via as well.

Mark.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.