Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Best way to upgrade to GW 18 from GW 14

Massimo, I forgot about eDirectory.  I need the server to have eDirectory running on it as it is one of two eDir servers in the environment.  So, looks like I need to use a new IP address for the base server, assigned during the install, to allow me to integrate it into eDir.  Then bind the secondary IP of the old GroupWise server to this new one after everything is migrated and I bring the old one down.

If I move the NSS volume from the old server to the new one, what do I have to do to get it 'seen' by the new server?  Just reboot the server?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Tell me again what is the compelling reason to make your life so hard instead of just updating the old server?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You'll have to mount it manually once. From that point on it will automount.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

So, good question.  The server was originally at SLES 11 SP2 and I'm not sure it was set up correctly.  The more I am thinking about it, from a downtime point of view, it seems that if I created the new server OS, install the GroupWise files to the 1st disk of the new server then shut down the old server, moved the Domain/PO disk to the new server, bound the old server's IP as a secondary IP to the new server then I start to get lost. <G>

In the past I have had mixed results upgrading OES from one version to another.  In fact at another location of 3 servers that I upgraded to OES 2018, two of them required long support calls with MF and a couple all nighters.  I would prefer to avoid that.  Therefore starting with a new OES 2018 server seems to be a better way to go???

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Well, if the server is OES2015 now, and is mostly running eDirectory and Groupwise now, and not other OES Services like dhcp, dns or such, then upgrading to OES2018SP1 is the logical choice, especially when you want to minimize downtime. *Especially* when we're in a relatively small VM environment, and can do snapshots. 

E.G, down groupwise (and disable it from starting), down both servers, take snapshots of both, boot the to-be-upgraded server with OES2018SP1 media and follow the docs. It will most likely work unless your server is in really bad shape (liek e.g, not enough free space, badly misconfigured LDAP or Certifcate service..).

Finally, (re)install the latest Groupwise Agents, and if you use it, reinstall and reconfigure webaccess. That should do.

If you do off hours, if anything fails, you can go back to the snapshots of both servers and think it over.

Afterwards you can still for the sake of it move your groupwise data online to a fresh pool (if you have enough space), that sometimes provides a nice performance boost when your current NSS Pool is old and has been expanded and ( or upgraded often.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

OK, Massimo, I think you are persuading me.  To be clear, we do have a two server eDirectory environment.  You are suggesting to snapshot both the File eDir server and Mail eDir server while they are off so if things go wrong, I can put both servers back to that state.  If I only did a snapshot of the mail server, then if I had to revert to the snapshot, eDir on that server would be out of sync with eDir on the File server, correct?

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@dch151 wrote:

OK, Massimo, I think you are persuading me.  To be clear, we do have a two server eDirectory environment.  You are suggesting to snapshot both the File eDir server and Mail eDir server while they are off so if things go wrong, I can put both servers back to that state.  If I only did a snapshot of the mail server, then if I had to revert to the snapshot, eDir on that server would be out of sync with eDir on the File server, correct?

Dan

Perfectly right. And as upgrading the server to oes2018 introduces eDirectory 9 for the first time, I wouldn't want to risk going back to eDir8 via a snapshot with this, hence snapshots of both servers.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

So, before deciding to do an in-place upgrade I spun up a new OES 2018 SP1 server. So now I have 2 OES 2015 SP1 and one OES2018 SP1 servers in the tree.  Based on our previous conversation, I figure I should NOT try to remove the OES2018 server since it is at eDir 9.  Also, that I should shut down all 3 servers and take snapshots of them before attempting the upgrade.  I can use the 3rd server later as the new mobility server, anyway.  Does that make sense?

One more thing.  I had mostly dealt with earlier GroupWise systems such as 7 and 8 but not GroupWise 14.  How do I prevent the admin, MTA, POA, GWIA and Webaccess applications from starting on the server when I start to do the upgrade?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Dan,

Tossing a wrench into your plans, you need to know that GMS is not supported at all running on an OES server.  It has to be straight SLES only.

Pam

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

To control startup of GW agents:

SLES11-based

chkconfig --list grpwise -> shows current settings

chkconfig grpwise off -> disables startup of agents for all runlevels, check with "list" afterwards

SLES12-based

systemctl is-enabled grpwise

systemctl disable grpwise

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You could upgrade your existing servers and then if you don't have a need for that third server, remove it from the tree and get rid of it.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums within this community!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Pam, I didn't know that.  OK, I'll spin up a separate SLES server for Mobility.  I can always decommission the 3rd OES server after I get the other two updated to OES 2018.

Dan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.