Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Best way to upgrade to GW 18 from GW 14

Thanks Mathias.  That is what I was looking for.

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@probello wrote:

GMS is not supported at all running on an OES server.  It has to be straight SLES only.

Pam

These little tidbits of information that you toss out are priceless.

Thank you. I wasn't aware either... 😌

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@KBOYLE 

The fact that GMS is not supported on OES is documented:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/gwmob18_guide_install/data/inst_req_server.html#reqs_os

Cheers,

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Well, after talking to Micro Focus tech support, who recommended bringing up another server and then using dbcopy to copy the data, I think I will go with that approach.  My reasons are:

1. VMware apparently does not support upgrading an OS from one version to another.  I am not sure this is a big concern as OES is not even one of the options under Linux when creating the VM, and I have, in fact, done OS upgrades before, but what the hey.

2. MF support is recommending this approach so if I run into trouble, I can say "Hey, I followed your approach!" <G>

3. Doing an OES upgrade has always been problematic for me. As I mentioned before out of 3 OES 2015 to OES 2018 upgrades, 2 required major support from MF to the point that I had to pull all nighters to get the servers back on line.  In this case I already have an OES 2018 SP1 server now in the tree running so 'a bird in the hand' and all that.

4. Any weirdness in the GroupWise or JAVA (for WebAccess) system from the old server would be not an issue by installing GW clean on a new server.

5. Since I can bind the old server's IP address as a secondary IP address to the new server, I don't have to struggle with making changes to the firewall for GWIA or WebAccess or for GW clients in and out of the network connecting to the POA.

6. By doing a DBcopy of the data, I will have the old server left in tact so if everything fails, I can just go  back to the old server.

So given the above, how can I change the IP address of the old server to something different after I have bound its original IP to the new server so I can still access  the old server for any files that I might still need?  This is an OES server in the eDir tree. I think that makes it trickier than just changing the IP address, right?  I do have Veeam backups of the old server, so I suppose I could get any data I need from the backup but that is more of a hassle.

BTW, I really appreciate all the suggestions and quick responses from everyone, especially Masimo.

Am I missing anything?

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@laurabuckley wrote:

@KBOYLE 

The fact that GMS is not supported on OES is documented:

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/gwmob18_guide_install/data/inst_req_server.html#reqs_os

Cheers,

Thank's Laura. I haven't done a GMS deployment yet and therefore haven't yet read the documentation.

Where does that leave customers with respect to OS licensing and support?

GroupWise comes with a license to run SLES for a GroupWise deployment but it does not include SLES support. Does that license allow for the deployment of GMS? 

_____
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes, that license allows them to deploy a GMS server as well but still no entitlement for support.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

I'm unsure about how to move the IP addresses around.  I currently have 3 servers in the tree. Server1 with IP address 1, server2 with IP address 2 (this is the current GW server), server3 with IP address 3 (this will be the new GW server).  All 3 are OES servers and are in the same eDir tree.  I was going to migrate the domain and PO from server2 to server3 then shut down server2 and bind its IP address as a secondary IP to server3.

My question is, what will this do to eDir?  If I do this, I will have the server2 IP address on server3 as well as server3's IP address. I think eDir wouldn't be happy, right?

Maybe the safest thing to do is bind an unused IP address to server3 and make GW use that address, then make the changes in the firewall for it?  Also, have NGWNameServer point to the new secondary IP on server3?  That way eDir wouldn't get messed up, would it?

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You will have to remove server 2 from the eDirectory tree so there aren't references to it.  That is why I recommended that you add a secondary IP address to server2 now.  It will make the process so much easier.  I did this last time I migrated GroupWise to a new server.

1. Add secondary IP address to server2 and configure GroupWise to use it.

2. Do your GroupWise migration.

3. Shutdown GroupWise on server2.

4. Remove the secondary IP address from server2 and add it to server3.

5. Start up GroupWise on server3.

6. Remove server2 from the eDirectory tree at your leisure.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums within this community!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

I am seeing the logic, Kevin.  I think I will do something similar:

1. Add secondary address to server3

2. Migrate the GW system data to server3.

3. Start the GW 2018 install and specify the secondary address of server3. (I only have a single domain and PO so changing IPs should not be a big issue.)

4. Make changes to the firewall for static NAT to point to server3.

5. Go through all the internal devices that are pointing to the old IP address of the GWIA and change them to point to the secondary IP address of Server3.

6. From then on if I needed to do this again, I could just move the secondary IP address and not worry about eDir.

Does that make sense?

Dan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@dch151 

You can see what the problem is. You want GroupWise to keep the same IP address but, if you don't decommission the server it was on, the server needs to keep the IP address.

This time the easiest way to do it is to change GroupWise's IP address and add it to the new server as a secondary address. Next time you have to do a GroupWise migration you will move the GroupWise IP address too which will greatly simplify the migration. That means that next time you will only have to do steps 2 & 3.

_____
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In case of changing IP addresses and using an internal DNS server, do not forget to use ngwnameserver (and ngwnameserver2)  to support your clients in an easy and pleasant way.

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Yesm I was definitely going to do that Rimser.  Do you know if GroupWise Messenger has a similar feature?  I will have to change the Messenger IP address for the clients as well as it runs on the same server as GroupWise.

Dan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.