Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Block Device for short time?

I am attempting to get the end users to move gradually off my Datasync server directly to using the ZENworks Mobile Management deployment. With android they would still need to setup the sync server manually but I am still wanting to have them use ZMM. I have a few individuals that are dragging their feet in getting this done. Is it possible for me to block the device through Datasync and once they enroll in ZMM unblock the device? Is there a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks for the feedback.

Richard
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Block Device for short time?

Hi Richard
If you configure the MDM server in DataSync and provision users through ZMM you should be fine since the users will be newly added as mdm users and will not conflict with an existing user.
Block and unblock will not work, the problem is the user account that conflicts with being managed/created manually and ZMM at the same time.
So use the MDM option for enrolling, and you can also just delete users if needed and let them recreate.

- Kai
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In my case I have had the DataSync solution longer the my mdm. I have a few users that are on the DataSync solution that I would prefer to be on the MDM solution for security reasons. Those new to my system or as new devices come online I do force over the ZMM. I am just trying to figure out a way to give those few users still on the MDM solution a little push to move them over to the MDM. Right now most of those individuals are either ignoring the request to move to MDM or keep forgetting (or I don't understand) to move over.

Sounds like me blocking the device will not do what I expected. I figured once the MDM enrolled device was initialized it would rename the device to Devicename_MDM and the blocked device wouldn't effect the process.

Thanks for the follow up.

Richard
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

rhuhman wrote:

> In my case I have had the DataSync solution longer the my mdm. I have
> a few users that are on the DataSync solution that I would prefer to
> be on the MDM solution for security reasons. Those new to my system
> or as new devices come online I do force over the ZMM. I am just
> trying to figure out a way to give those few users still on the MDM
> solution a little push to move them over to the MDM. Right now most
> of those individuals are either ignoring the request to move to MDM
> or keep forgetting (or I don't understand) to move over.

Well there's a simple solution though the users probably wouldn't be
happy. Change your firewall to block access from the Internet to your
Mobility server, only allowing ZMM to communicate to Mobility. That
will stop the few holdouts dead in their tracks. 🙂

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
BrainShare 2013 is coming! http://www.brainshare.com

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

rhuhman wrote:

> With android they would still need to setup the sync server manually

Actually, if yours users use Touchdown then ZMM will provision the
e-mail account automatically on Android (within Touchdown).

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
BrainShare 2013 is coming! http://www.brainshare.com

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Most of the end users are iOS but I am looking at ways to enforce the security policies on the devices so I don't get stuck with a pissed off employee who doesn't understand why a passcode is needed but then gets e-mail hacked or stolen and now has larger problems. I will present your block at the firewall option to the administrators. Might try warning them of the change and see if my remaining users will move without having to make the change.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Richard
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.