Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
997 views

Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent global signature

Well, here's a crummy situation: One of my telecommuters realized today
that an outdated global signature was being applied to her messages (we
only attach them to external mail, so no one in the office caught it).
So I updated her client and ran gwcheck (analyze/fix everything) on her
live and caching mailboxes.

The outdated global signature remains.

If I use a different machine, the correct global signature is appended.

Later today, when I can get access to her computer again, I will see
what happens if I use that machine, but switch the GW client to online mode.

But if the global signature is appended at the gwia, how can it matter
what client or machine the message originates from?

And how can I get this particular machine to pick up the current signature?

Of course this is one of the irascible users who will be very happy to
judge harshly and loudly if I can't fix this quickly.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
17 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent globalsignature

On 12/17/2015 1:41 PM, Mary Wood wrote:
> Well, here's a crummy situation: One of my telecommuters realized today
> that an outdated global signature was being applied to her messages (we
> only attach them to external mail, so no one in the office caught it).
> So I updated her client and ran gwcheck (analyze/fix everything) on her
> live and caching mailboxes.
>
> The outdated global signature remains.
>
> If I use a different machine, the correct global signature is appended.
>
> Later today, when I can get access to her computer again, I will see
> what happens if I use that machine, but switch the GW client to online
> mode.
>
> But if the global signature is appended at the gwia, how can it matter
> what client or machine the message originates from?
>
> And how can I get this particular machine to pick up the current signature?
>
> Of course this is one of the irascible users who will be very happy to
> judge harshly and loudly if I can't fix this quickly.



Update: Going from caching to online and back to caching helped - but
still doesn't make sense. And for those who always work in caching
mode, it's not good to have this get stuck, if your company policy is to
change global signatures from time to time.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent glob

Hi Mary,

I can confirm that I am seeing the same thing. Let me see if I can find a fix that doesn't require the switching between modes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent global signature

In article <EmFcy.988$ct1.845@novprvlin0913.provo.novell.com>, Mary Wood
wrote:
> And for those who always work in caching
> mode, it's not good to have this get stuck, if your company policy is to
> change global signatures from time to time.


How long had the change been in place? There are supposed to be sync
processes that would eventually get it. I can see it being a part of the
"Refresh address books and rules every" X "days" that defaults to 7 under:
Accounts, Account Options, properties of the account, Advanced tab, bottom.


Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please show
your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent glob

Hi Andy

I've done a send/receive every possible way.

Address book and rules set to update every 1 day. It's been three days and still the global signature is wrong. The global signature is set at PO level. I set the PO global signature to NONE and restarted. Set mail from Caching and no signature was added. Set global signature back to the one that was edited, restarted PO and still global signature was wrong on mail sent from Caching mailbox.

I have no idea how to update this. I was under the impression that the global signature is added at the POA and not at client level. I have switched between Online and Caching mode and still the Caching mode signature is wrong! I am still trying to figure out other ways of getting this to update. There is the possibility that there is a bug - I'm using the GroupWise 2014 R2 client.

Any other ideas Andy?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent glob

Hi,

After not doing anything to fix this issue it has auto-magically resolved itself overnight. There has been a period of four days between editing the signature and the correct one being applied to mail being sent out from a Caching mailbox. I am going to do further testing in my lab environment. I will post back if I find anything.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent global signature

In article <laurabuckley.788ja0@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Laurabuckley
wrote:
> After not doing anything to fix this issue it has auto-magically
> resolved itself overnight. There has been a period of four days between
> editing the signature and the correct one being applied to mail being
> sent out from a Caching mailbox.


Well if your "Refresh address books and rules every" is set to 1 "days",
this it isn't that one. Hmm, where else is there such a refresh cycle?
Might be more of an issue that it is one we don't have access to change.
I am assuming you've now set a new sig today to see when it next flows
down. My bet is Tuesday next week.


Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent glob

Hi Andy,

I've reported this, in the backrooms, to Novell. I'll post back any feedback I get so please watch this space 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent globalsignature

On 12/22/2015 12:56 AM, laurabuckley wrote:
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> I've reported this, in the backrooms, to Novell. I'll post back any
> feedback I get so please watch this space 🙂
>
> Cheers,
>
>

Watching carefully, since we have a global sig that should change over
in 3...2....1... and didn't.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent glob

Hi Mary,

Unfortunately due to the time of year with most people [engineering and otherwise] being on holiday this will only receive attention in the new year. I have no suggestions in the interim to resolve this issue as I've tried absolutely everything I can think of.

So, please continue to watch this space 😉

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent globalsignature

I have found mention of this bug as far back as GW 7! It makes me mad
that it's still not fixed. I'm guessing they have no intention of
fixing it.



On 12/30/2015 11:16 PM, laurabuckley wrote:
>
> Hi Mary,
>
> Unfortunately due to the time of year with most people [engineering and
> otherwise] being on holiday this will only receive attention in the new
> year. I have no suggestions in the interim to resolve this issue as
> I've tried absolutely everything I can think of.
>
> So, please continue to watch this space 😉
>
> Cheers,
>
>


0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Caching-mode client hangs onto outdated/nonexistent glob

Hi Mary,

Whilst I have reported this in the backrooms to the folk at Novell, you may want to open a Service Request to get more immediate assistance.

Here's what I have done to try resolve this issue, just for your reference:

I update/amend my existing Global Signature and restart the POA for good measure. Instantly any e-mail sent from an Online mailbox has the new Global Signature. Now here's the problem.... any e-mail sent in Caching mode still uses the outdated/old Global Signature.

Steps to try correct the problem:

Send/Receive
Retrieve Contacts
Switch to online mode and back to Caching mode
Update Address books set to 1 day
GWCheck | analyse/Fix | Contents | User database (from Admin Console)
Retrieve Entire Mailbox
Tools | Repair Mailbox | Analyse/Fix | Contents | User database (inside Caching Mailbox)

None of the above updated the Global Signature on my Caching mailbox.

Further testing:

On POA set Global Signature to NONE and restart POA. E-mail sent from both Online and Caching mailbox has no Global Signature attached. On POA set Global Signature back to the one that was amended and restart POA. Caching mailbox still sends e-mail with outdated/old Global Signature.
Scheduled maintenance has been running as per schedule on POA both Structure check each night and a full Content check on Friday night. This made no difference.

Now here's the really weird thing, after approximately four days (give or take an hour or two) the Global Signature on the Caching mailbox updated.

Rinse & Repeat all of the above and I still am unable to find a resolution - outside of waiting for the four days to go by


If you do open a SR please let us know the number and how things progress so that I can possibly keep an eye on things from my side.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.