Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can't delete some users

Running GW Data Sync 1.2.5.250. We use an LDAP group to add/remove users in our Data Sync server. I removed 15 users from the group and around 6 of the users were deleted from Data Sync, but there are still 9 users that are no longer in the group that are still on the Data Sync server. I have tried adding the users back to the group and removed them from the group but their accounts still remain in Data Sync. I tried manually deleting the user in Data Sync, get confirmation to delete the user, and the user is still on the list of users in Data Sync. I have also used an LDAP browser and checked the members of the group to make sure the users I have deleted from the group in eDir are no longer in the group. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks,
RSarno
Labels (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi RSarno

Take a look at this App: https://www.novell.com/communities/node/14140/dsapp

It has a facility whereby you can delete a user and remove the DB references. This might do the trick for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Laura, thank you for this tool. Looks like a very useful tool. I tried deleting one of the stuck accounts using this tool and it is stuck in "Waiting on Mobility Connector . . .". It's been waiting for about 2 hours now and I'm not sure if it is doing anything in the background or if it is really still waiting. Anything I need to do to have it continue?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I have the same issue and downloaded the tool to delete the stuck user. Can anyone tell me how to type in a username in the tool if the username contains a space. If I type it, it says the user does not exist, because it only uses the name before the space.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <iwan.60qlo0@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Iwan wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to type in a username in the tool if the username
> contains a space. If I type it, it says the user does not exist, because
> it only uses the name before the space.
>

A guess would be the standard 'trick' of putting "quotation marks" around
the name.
Other related methods of saying that there is a space are:
- an underscore "_" to replace the space " "
- percent sign twenty like you sometimes see in URLs "%20" to indicate a
space

Andy Konecny
Knowledge Partner (voluntary SysOp)
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

konecnya;2280584 wrote:
In article <iwan.60qlo0@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Iwan wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to type in a username in the tool if the username
> contains a space. If I type it, it says the user does not exist, because
> it only uses the name before the space.
>

A guess would be the standard 'trick' of putting "quotation marks" around
the name.
Other related methods of saying that there is a space are:
- an underscore "_" to replace the space " "
- percent sign twenty like you sometimes see in URLs "%20" to indicate a
space

Andy Konecny
Andy's Profile: View Profile: konecnya - Novell Forums

Hi,

The "quotation marks" were the first thing I tried, but that doesn't work. The other suggestions don't work either.

Iwan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

In article <iwan.614ysp@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Iwan wrote:
> The "quotation marks" were the first thing I tried, but that doesn't
> work. The other suggestions don't work either.
>

Hmm. Makes me wonder how you got spaces into the UserID to start with.
I'd check for alternate names that would apply, or ways to change the
name you are trying to clear out.
After that, I'd be inclined to open an SR on this.

Andy Konecny
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello! I'm one of the two that created dsapp. As general advice steer clear of the delete and remove references option and go with removing regularly from the WebAdmin interface first. Then proceed to use the script to remove user db references only. The reason for this is because the script to delete the user properly has to restart the configengine service in order for things to be properly picked up in the database. Unfortunately I am not the developer, otherwise I'd come up with a much more robust solution.

So it could be hanging here for one of two reasons:
1. There was a problem restarting the configengine service. (rcdatasync-configengine restart)
-- This typically works and the database change we made to set the user to be deleted is picked up. Sometimes it takes a little time for it to realize a user needs to be deleted. This is the nature of not interacting with the application the way it's designed to be interacted with unfortunately. So perhaps configengine never restarts right, or the change isn't realized in the database.

2. It will also wait until the mobility connector reports the user has been deleted. The delete and remove references option simply waits until it can no longer find the user in a particular Mobility database table, and then proceeds to remove any leftover database references. So it's also possible the user is still in the process of being deleted and it is still waiting or there was a problem removing the user and it's still in the table where it shouldn't be.

So my advice is to remove the user first from WebAdmin, give ample time for the user to be removed (depends on how much data the user has), perhaps say 5-10 minutes or so will be more than adequate usually. This allows for DataSync/Mobility to remove the user according to it's own protocols. Then proceed to remove just the leftover database references using the dsapp script. The steps to remove just the db references are provided in the following TID:
TID 7008852 - How to completely remove all references of the user from Mobility
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

konecnya;2280843 wrote:
In article <iwan.614ysp@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Iwan wrote:
> The "quotation marks" were the first thing I tried, but that doesn't
> work. The other suggestions don't work either.
>

Hmm. Makes me wonder how you got spaces into the UserID to start with.
I'd check for alternate names that would apply, or ways to change the
name you are trying to clear out.
After that, I'd be inclined to open an SR on this.

Andy Konecny
Andy's Profile: View Profile: konecnya - Novell Forums

Hi,

That's because it's linked to Active Directory and uses the cname instead of the SAMAccountname.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

tdharris;2281839 wrote:
Hello! I'm one of the two that created dsapp. As general advice steer clear of the delete and remove references option and go with removing regularly from the WebAdmin interface first. Then proceed to use the script to remove user db references only. The reason for this is because the script to delete the user properly has to restart the configengine service in order for things to be properly picked up in the database. Unfortunately I am not the developer, otherwise I'd come up with a much more robust solution.

So it could be hanging here for one of two reasons:
1. There was a problem restarting the configengine service. (rcdatasync-configengine restart)
-- This typically works and the database change we made to set the user to be deleted is picked up. Sometimes it takes a little time for it to realize a user needs to be deleted. This is the nature of not interacting with the application the way it's designed to be interacted with unfortunately. So perhaps configengine never restarts right, or the change isn't realized in the database.

2. It will also wait until the mobility connector reports the user has been deleted. The delete and remove references option simply waits until it can no longer find the user in a particular Mobility database table, and then proceeds to remove any leftover database references. So it's also possible the user is still in the process of being deleted and it is still waiting or there was a problem removing the user and it's still in the table where it shouldn't be.

So my advice is to remove the user first from WebAdmin, give ample time for the user to be removed (depends on how much data the user has), perhaps say 5-10 minutes or so will be more than adequate usually. This allows for DataSync/Mobility to remove the user according to it's own protocols. Then proceed to remove just the leftover database references using the dsapp script. The steps to remove just the db references are provided in the following TID:
TID 7008852 - How to completely remove all references of the user from Mobility

Hi,

Thank you for creating the script! I managed to remove the user using this TID: Support | Unable to remove user from DataSync

Do you have any idea how I could use you script with spaces in the username? The reason for the spaces is that Mobility is linked to our Active Directory and uses the cname instead of the samaccountname. When I logon to the Mobility webadmin, I also have to logon with my full name instead of my non-spaced username.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

@iwan, thanks for the link to the TID 7012163. @tdharris, thanks for developing the dsapp. This fixed the problem I've had with deleting users. There is one user that is still stuck though. The user was moved to a different OU on our eDir tree and is the only one left that needs to be deleted. I'm wondering if I need to move the user back to the OU he was in when he was originally added in DataSync and then go through the process of deleting him again as specified in the TID. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ronnie
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

iwan;2279661 wrote:
Hi,

I have the same issue and downloaded the tool to delete the stuck user. Can anyone tell me how to type in a username in the tool if the username contains a space. If I type it, it says the user does not exist, because it only uses the name before the space.

Did You removed user ? I have one similar situation user Full name Firstname space Lastname and no Mobile user name.
Tried remove using dsapp, adding/removing it again - nothing helped.
Year ago was detailed instruction (no script) how to remove manually remove user using SQL commands - but now I couldn't found this TID.
Regards,
Maciej
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.