Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cannot logon to web interface

Hi,

I changed the ldap authentication to GroupWise authentication for testing purposes. I wasn't able to login using GW authentication so I changed it back to LDAP auth (AD), which worked perfectly before. No I'm unable to logon. The web interface gives me an error: **Invalid Username/Password. Please try again.**
I can only logon using the root account now. I restarted all the services, but no luck.

I checked the "configengine.xml" file and everything seems ok there. When I look into the "configengine.log" file, I see the following:

**WARNING [CP WSGIServer Thread-8] [__init__:1550] [userID:] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Authentication or LDAP server failure: NO_SUCH_OBJECT**

How can I get this working again?

Iwan
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cannot logon to web interface

iwan;2321508 wrote:
Hi,

I changed the ldap authentication to GroupWise authentication for testing purposes. I wasn't able to login using GW authentication so I changed it back to LDAP auth (AD), which worked perfectly before. No I'm unable to logon. The web interface gives me an error: **Invalid Username/Password. Please try again.**
I can only logon using the root account now. I restarted all the services, but no luck.

I checked the "configengine.xml" file and everything seems ok there. When I look into the "configengine.log" file, I see the following:

**WARNING [CP WSGIServer Thread-8] [__init__:1550] [userID:] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Authentication or LDAP server failure: NO_SUCH_OBJECT**

How can I get this working again?

Iwan

I've set the 2.x GMS systems I've upgraded/installed to GroupWise auth... So I can't check and compare.

Although it's for Datasync, this bit might still be relevant as to manually add an admin in : https://www.novell.com/documentation/datasynchronizer1/datasync1_admin/data/boy596g.html#boa2rxm

Other than that, I also wonder if the LDAP server IP entry itself might have "gone lost" when changing to and back?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Just to clarify something... are you running your GMS system directly against an AD infrastructure for authentication or via GroupWise using AD as it's LDAP source?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I'm authenticating directly to AD. I also use an AD group for user provisioning. I am going to move to GW authentication and set GW to AD auth, so the end result wil lbe the same. But for now it is not possible to set additional admin users if I set it to GW auth. That's why I set it back to LDAP (AD) auth.

I checked all the settings and also the xml files and it seems to be ok, at least as it was before. Can't figure out why it doesn't work. I used dsapp to run a "General Health Check" and it came up with an error also:
search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object
text: 0000208D: NameErr: DSID-031001E5, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT), data 0, bes
t match of:
''
# numResponses: 1

Failed.
Iwan

laurabuckley;2321602 wrote:
Hi,

Just to clarify something... are you running your GMS system directly against an AD infrastructure for authentication or via GroupWise using AD as it's LDAP source?

Cheers,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

As far as I am aware the only authentication methods supported by GMS is LDAP against eDirectory or GroupWise authentication. GMS LDAP directly against AD is not supported.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I've managed to get it working again by restoring the configengine.xml file from a previous backup. I know that it is not officialy supported, but it does work. Once we move over to GW2014, I'll switch to GW authentication.

Thank you for your time.

Iwan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

iwan;2321685 wrote:
Hi,

I've managed to get it working again by restoring the configengine.xml file from a previous backup. I know that it is not officialy supported, but it does work. Once we move over to GW2014, I'll switch to GW authentication.

Thank you for your time.

Iwan

Hi Iwan,

While it's not supported, we have heard of quite a couple of sites that are indeed successfully using AD as authentication source.

I am curious though if you have been able to see a difference with the configengine.xml that was not working and the one you have now restored and is working.

If you still have a copy of the non working file, the console command "diff" could quickly show what is different. That would be great to know as future reference.

Thanks,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Willem,

I did compare the files before restoring them. It seems that there are two differences. The first is that all of the admins defined in the file were gone and the second is that the encrypted ldap user password string was different. I did re-enter the password in the web interface to see if that made a difference, but no luck. Only restoring the XML file helped.

Iwan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

iwan;2321724 wrote:
Hi Willem,

I did compare the files before restoring them. It seems that there are two differences. The first is that all of the admins defined in the file were gone and the second is that the encrypted ldap user password string was different. I did re-enter the password in the web interface to see if that made a difference, but no luck. Only restoring the XML file helped.

Iwan

That is good to know (and keep in mind) Iwan. Thanks for the update!

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iwan wrote:

> I can only logon using the root account now.

I see that you fixed your issue, but I have a question. When you say you "can't
login" exactly what did you mean? At the administration console? Or users were
unable to get their mail, etc.

A common misunderstanding about "GroupWise Authentication" comes when dealing
with the administration console. ONLY root can log in at the administration
console when GroupWise authentication is used. "Users" can log in with
GroupWise credentials to see what address books to sync, etc., but the
"administration" is limited to root when you switch to GroupWise Authentication.

So, I just wanted to make sure I understood your problem. If indeed, no GW
users were able to log in, then definitely something odd was happening.
However, if you were trying to log in as a non-GroupWise "administrative" user,
this would be normal.

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
GroupWise Mobility Service 2.0 Guide - http://bit.ly/1cv13RE

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

Are you a GroupWise Power Administrator? Join our site at
http://www.caledonia.net/register
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I was unable to logon to the Web Administration console. Users had no issues receiving mail.

I know that when switching to "GroupWise Authentication", I can only access the admin console with the root user. Although I was told that this would be fixed in a future update. In this case "Users" weren't able to logon with their GW credentials at the admin console either. When I switched back to LDAP auth, which worked fine before, it no longer worked. All of the settings in the admin console seemed ok (logged on with root). So I figured I'd just restore the XML file and everything started working again.

Iwan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iwan wrote:

> I was unable to logon to the Web Administration console. Users had no issues
> receiving mail.

Thanks - well, when you are ready to try again, we'll be here to help
troubleshoot 🙂

--
Danita
Novell Knowledge Partner
GroupWise Mobility Service 2.0 Guide - http://bit.ly/1cv13RE

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

Are you a GroupWise Power Administrator? Join our site at
http://www.caledonia.net/register
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.