Jesus Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Change sender address

This is probably stretching some people's memory, but I have a client still on GW 2012 SP3.
They have multiple domains configured and now when sending email they want to be able to optionally change the sender address to one of their other inbound addresses.

I've done this previously on 2012 and 2014, but I'm having some issues this time around on 2012 SP3.

Initially I set up the fake POP account, with an invalid POP server, and tried to authenticate with SMTP using one of the valid email addresses as the username, and with their Groupwise password but it fails authentication as shown below in the client log. [GW authenticates against eDir if it matters] The weird thing is that I used plain SMTP, not SSL but it looks like it tries to use SSL with the STARTTLS in the log.

[INDENT]10:55:59 PM S:220 mail.xxxx.com.au Ready

10:55:59 PM C:EHLO PC1

10:55:59 PM Connecting to fs1.xxxx.corp
10:55:59 PM S:250-mail.xxxx.com.au
250-AUTH LOGIN
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250 STARTTLS

10:55:59 PM C:AUTH LOGIN

10:55:59 PM S:334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

10:55:59 PM C:emFub3RlY2g=

10:55:59 PM S:334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

10:55:59 PM C:PASS <xxxxx...> ....
10:55:59 PM S:501 Authentication failed

10:55:59 PM S:221 mail.xxxx.com.au Closing transmission channel

10:55:59 PM Disconnected from fs1.xxxx.corp[/INDENT]

As a workaround, in the GWIA I set a relay exception for the LAN and turned off SMTP auth in the fake POP account, and then I could send fine. Having the whole LAN in the relay exception is not ideal, but it's the only way I could get it to work after a few hours of mucking around.

If anyone has any tips on getting the above to work with SMTP authentication please let me know.

Alternatively does GW 2018 make this any easier, or is the process still a kludge? If it's more straight forward I'll have extra leverage in upgrade discussions.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Change sender address

Hi.

On 28.04.2019 18:14, gordon mzano wrote:
>
> If anyone has any tips on getting the above to work with SMTP
> authentication please let me know.

Check the (verbose) POA logs for the login attempt, and if all else
fails, do a ldap trace on the configured ldap server.

> Alternatively does GW 2018 make this any easier, or is the process still
> a kludge? If it's more straight forward I'll have extra leverage in
> upgrade discussions.

Unfortunately not. 😞

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Jesus Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Change sender address

mrosen;2498957 wrote:
Hi.

Check the (verbose) POA logs for the login attempt, and if all else
fails, do a ldap trace on the configured ldap server.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
No emails please!

Thanks will do.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.