rhorgan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Client Backup

I am going through a process to try and provide better protection for remote users and have experimented using the backup option from with Tools | Options | Environment | Backup Options.
I find when I turn this on a backup process does take place and I can see where this gets progressively larger than the original mailbox. So far so good!
If I then go to File | Open Backup, the screen then displays what I would expect the complete contents of the backup. It does not do this but does display some data, generally very recent data. However using search within the backup display appears to return a full list of expected data which may in fact be returned from the Caching location.

1. Is this working as designed?
  2. If not is the backup process restricted to Remote users only (I have only tested with Caching users)?
  3. If I wanted to do a full restore of the backup mailbox, can this be done remotely, or does the backed up data need to be copied to a restore area?
  4. The documentation for restore in 2014 Client documentation does not seem to relate to the backup being local to the client but seems to refer to a restore area. Perhaps I misunderstand things.

I was expecting to find something similar to the archive process but with all mail, including deleted mails.
    I have tried this on a number of different clients with similar results (all 2014 though). I have not been able to find a fuller description or any further documentation except contained in GroupWise 2014 Documentation (same for a number of releases).
    Any guidance appreciated, and perhaps comments as to the worth of such a process.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Client Backup

rhorgan,

you have to define a restore area per Post Office and create a backup of the entire PO there. The users will then be able to restore mails which have been backed up *and* deleted from their mailbox, i.e., the "Backup" in the client will only show what's in the restore area but not in the mailbox.
Here's the relevant part from the manual:
https://www.novell.com/documentation/beta/groupwise2014/gw2014_guide_admin/data/adm_db_restore_mailbox.html

HTH

Uwe
0 Likes
rhorgan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Buckesfeld,

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps my questions were not straightforward as you have not answered the questions I raised.

I am certainly aware of a restore area and what it does, however I was referring to the client backup (which relates to as mailbox and not a post office) contained within the client software itself.

If you have experience with this your advice would be appreciated

Thanks
0 Likes
Absent Member.

rhorgan,

sorry for not reading properly.

The local backup feature is only available in caching or remote mode. In online mode, the client will always try and access a configured restore area. You'll notice that the tools/options section does not contain settings for local backups when in online mode, and trying to connect to your local backup will fail with an error.

Else the local backup works like a restore area; you'll see only messages which don't exist in the remote/caching mailbox, but have been backed up.

Downsides of the restore area also apply: E.g., you cannot restore address books. IMHO it is just a backup for the trash bin.
If you really need to backup the entire account, I'd use a local backup software and copy away the caching/remote mailbox directory.

As for the search, I never realized the odd result. It doesn't really matter, you can right click/restore mails which are in fact in the caching mailbox, apparently it does nothing.

Let me ask if that's working as designed.

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
rhorgan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Uwe for this insight.

What I find strange is the space consumed by the backup:
The mail box on c:drive has 216k items around 18 GB (there are 10 items in rofdata\index at .5 GB)
The backup location on d:drive has 227k files, listing at 35 GB (there are 199 items in rofdata\index at 16.6 GB)
So it appears that the backup process copies and keeps the indexes even when they are superseded.

Also, from the size of the backup, it is not only backing up the files that have been deleted, but also the whole of the mailbox.

I have searched TIDs and the internet generally and there does not appear to be any full discussion of the functionality of the remote client when it creates a backup. I'd really appreciate understanding whether or not the backup capability is useful and what should be expected of it. It appears that when a backup is run, the user.db and the msg.db is overwritten with the current version, so presumably these cannot provide pointers to mail that has been deleted and is not in the Trash. If it does provide a real backup, then presumably one should have a number of different directories for different periods which would enable a point in time back up of those periods. These would have to be achieved by pointing the client at the appropriate directory structure and presumably making sure you were off line!

I hope you are successful in some comment back from the developers.

thanks
Robert
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Robert,

it's a full backup, yes, but the client displays only the delta between mailbox and backup.

As for how it works: I admit I never played much with it. I have zero users being off site for more than a few days, and they rather have the caching mailbox deleted locally and resynced when something odd happens on the road, as soon as they are back.
You have obviously other requirements.

Your observation that there's no "point in time" restore is correct. So I assume you take the most advantage from the local backup if you don't perform it daily. And/or copy away the backup directory frequently.

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
rhorgan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Uwe,

Thanks. Whilst it would appear that perhaps no-one uses this feature, I had hoped to provide for a scenario when we have staff who are permanently away (1 man offices in remote locations). I thought if they had a backup which was local to them, they could recover data if they, for example, realised they needed to recover a folder which had been previously deleted and then cleaned up from trash. A lot easier to do this from a local repository rather than a remote restore area, and faster. As we agree, the overwrite of the user.db with the most current version would probably also remove their ability to find whatever it was that was deleted and lost.

Whilst not expecting an answer from the forum, I wonder why GroupWise implemented this, what the developers perceived it would be used for and why, it appears, no one has ever raised these questions before? Perhaps a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma? ;-))

Robert
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Robert,

in the scenario you describe (small remote office), how do you perform backups in general? I would assume that the mailbox is only one problem here.

If these folks rely on their laptops alone, I'd use a sophisticated backup software on each machine.
If they use a remote server, well, if you have broadband, why not use a restore area in a central place?
If bandwidth is low, I'd rather use terminal servers anyway.

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
rhorgan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Uwe,

Yes, we certainly have other options - I quite like the Veeam Endpoint backup, but in reviewing options I thought I would try and see what the GroupWise backup did. I'm just surprised that there is no documentation or discussion on the topic even though it has been about for some time.

However, you're right, its time to move on to other solutions.

thanks
Robert
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Robert,

Groupwise has features which have been requested once, been implemented, and then forgotten 😉
My Novell contact is trying to find out more, so hang on.

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Absent Member.

FYI, a search displays *all* mails from the backup matching the criteria, so not only from the delta between mails in your live mailbox and mails in the backup. That's what I got back from Novell. Works as designed, apparently.

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
rhorgan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Uwe,

Well it appears they must have some documentation in house. Pity they can't share it!

cheers
Robert
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Robert,

you may want to submit an enhancement request in the brand new system here:
https://ideas.microfocus.com/mfi/novell-gw

Note that your Novell Login credentials won't work, it's a separate registration.

Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.