tbarndt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Client Restore from Backup - Access Denied

I have a user that deleted the messages in his Cabinet, which was most of his saved email. I have restored a backup to a network location and I can get into his GroupWise 8.0.2 client, go to File\Open Backup, and his backup mail shows up. All of the messages are showing in his Cabinet and Mailbox, everything is looking good so far. Then, when I right click on a message, or a group of messages, and choose the Restore option, I get the following error message:

GroupWise Error [8201] "Access to the file has been denied. Please note the error code..."

The user is not a network administrator, so I was thinking maybe he didn't have rights to the server we restored the backup to, but I tried restoring a file as myself and another of our network admins also tried, and we are getting the same error. I found a somewhat similar sounding error fix off of Google, but it mentions that the user only has Read rights to the files. When we look at the files through Console 1, the user, and ourselves, have full control. Any ideas?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Client Restore from Backup - Access Denied

Does your restore path adhere to 8.3 naming standards?

I've seen similar issues and it all came down to directory names not adhering to the above.

Post back and let us know. Thanks 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
tbarndt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your input, Laura. The only name that is longer than 8 characters in the URL is the server name, 9 letters. I tried mapping a drive to the location, to connect to X:\grpwise\po instead, but I am getting the same error. In case the servername is the problem, I am going to clear some space on another server, restore there, and see what happens.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Perhaps take a look at this document: Support | How to set up a restore area

It's got some good information in it.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.