Highlighted
fribert Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Client doesn't activate junk mail handling

Hi All

This started in the GWIA forum, but there we found out that this was not the GWIA not doing things correctly.

I have a spam filter set up in front of the GWIA (ScrollOut F1).
That together with GWIA tags mails as spam, but when it arrives in the client the properties shows

Junk Mail Handling Evaluation Results
Message is eligible for Junk Mail handling
x-spam-flag was set for this message

So it seems that the GWIA does it correctly, and marks the mail.
Then below I see this:
Junk Mail settings when this message was delivered
Junk Mail handling disabled by User
Junk List is not enabled
Junk Mail using personal address books is not enabled
Junk iCal Mail using personal address books is not enabled
Block List is not enabled

If I look in the Administration Console Client Options I see this:
Enable Junk Mail Handling (X)
Enable Junk Mail using Junk Mail Lists ( )
Enable Junk Mail using Personal Address Book ( )
Enable Junk Calendaring using Personal Address Book ( )
Auto-Delete after: (31) days (X)
Enable Blocked Mail using Block Mail Lists ( )

The client is version 14.0.1 13-11-2014. PO GroupWise Agent Build Version 14.0.1 -118418, GroupWise Agent Build Date 11-12-14, GroupWise Resource Build Date 04-07-14.
I've also tried locking the settings on domain and on user in client settings, but that didn't help.
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Client doesn't activate junk mail handling

Hi,

Are you in a position to open a Service Request with Novell Technical Support?

I have picked up that this "bug" has been reported previously to Novell, but I can't see the details of it. I'm going to ask around in the backrooms to see if I can get this tested for you. I'll let you know if I get any information back from the kind folk that I'm asking.

In the interim, test with "Enable Junk Mail using Junk Mail Lists" and see if it makes any difference. I know that in the GWIA thread I asked you to turn this off, but I was just testing something.

Keep us up to date with your testing progress.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
fribert Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Laura

Thankyou for helping out with this.
Unfortunately I cannot currently open SR's.
If I activate the "Enable Junk Mail using Junk Mail Lists' it doesn't change behaviour.
If I activate the "Enable Junk Mail using Personal Address Book, then it will move it to the junk mail folder, but then I guess it will just use that for all unknown addresses.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

Indeed, Junk Mail using Personal Address Book will "junk" all unknown addresses regardless of the X-SPAM-Flag.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
fribert Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Not really sure how, but I think after all this switching on and off and stuff like that it's working.
It still reports 'address is not in users address book', but below it also says that handling junk from personal address books are disabled.
And the mails I see in the junk folder are really marked as spam.
Nice, but very sad that I can't reproduce the steps...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Now I'm not sure either why it's suddenly working 😉

If you can figure out the steps, at some point, please do let us know so that we can all learn from your experience.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
fribert Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sadly it still doesn't work, it was a coinsidence of addresses not in the address book, and a spam mail 😞
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I'm asking some kind folk at Novell about this and hopefully they can assist you in some way. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.