New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Co-existance of Groupwise 2014.2 1 and 2018.2

Hi All,

It's been a while since I have been on the forums as well as done a Groupwise system

My client has a 2014.2 system on SLES 12 and needs to install a fresh SLES 15 in order to move to Groupwise 2018.2

I was thinking of adding a secondary domain and post office on the SLES 15 server, move all the users to the new system. Making the new system the primary domain and then upgrading the new server to GW 2018.2.

My question is can both systems talk to each other as I was hoping then to migrate the GWIA, Web Access and Mobility piece by piece to keep downtime to the minimum.

John.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hmm, why not moving the old GW system to the new server and upgrade immediately?

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

To be a little bit more precise:

No, I do not move, I copy. I prefer rsync. I rsync several times. The first rsync will copy the whole GW data and will take a little bit more time. Each additional rsync will just copy the difference and is therefore a lot faster. So I can start rather early without causing problems in my live environment.

I think there are several entries in this forum which describe all the steps a little bit.

I.e.:
https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Developer-Discussions/DBCOPY-still-the-way-to-go-when-move-groupwise-to-another-server/m-p/2806521

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Tips-Information/GroupWise-Migrations-A-Better-Way/ta-p/1778577

and many more ...

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

I'll second Diethmar.  Rsync to the new server using multiple passes.  And you don't need to migrate webaccess, gwia, and gms.  Just setup new ones and cut over to them.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums!
Don't forget to Like helpful posts and mark Solutions!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.