Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2826 views

Connection problem in caching mode

Hi all,

I'm using the groupwise 14.2.1 client. In online mode all works very well. But if I switch to caching mode groupwise said there is a connection problem to the server.

German error message:
09:37:52 Verbindung mit 172.16....:1777 wird hergestellt VERBUNDEN
09:37:52 Es konnte keine Verbindung zum Online-GroupWise-System hergestellt werden.

Translated to English:
09:37:52 Connecting to 172.16....:1777 CONNECTED
09:37:52 Could not connect to online GroupWise system.


I have already deleted the old caching mailbox on the local pc and completely deinstalled the GroupWise client. Any other Idea what I can do to get the caching mode back to work?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
18 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Hi,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your question.

I would check the POA logs to see if it receives any connection attempt. That should indicate if the request is even making it to the Post Office.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Hi.

Can we safely assume that the IP and port it shows in the connecting
message is correct? 1777 sounds a bit unusual to me.


Am 22.02.2017 um 10:16 schrieb dr disk:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using the groupwise 14.2.1 client. In online mode all works very
> well. But if I switch to caching mode groupwise said there is a
> connection problem to the server.
>
>> German error message:
>> 09:37:52 Verbindung mit 172.16....:1777 wird hergestellt VERBUNDEN
>> 09:37:52 Es konnte keine Verbindung zum Online-GroupWise-System
>> hergestellt werden.
>>
>> Translated to English:
>> 09:37:52 Connecting to 172.16....:1777 CONNECTED
>> 09:37:52 Could not connect to online GroupWise system.
>>

>
> I have already deleted the old caching mailbox on the local pc and
> completely deinstalled the GroupWise client. Any other Idea what I can
> do to get the caching mode back to work?
>
> Thanks!
>
>


CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Hi,

thanks for your replies. Yes, the ports are correct. We are running many POAs and use different ports for them. And it works in online mode.

In the GroupWise logs I found a reference to that kb entry: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7017905 The client user is checking his build number at the moment, we will see if that article matches the problem.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Am 23.02.2017 um 11:16 schrieb dr disk:
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your replies. Yes, the ports are correct. We are running many
> POAs and use different ports for them. And it works in online mode.
>
> In the GroupWise logs I found a reference to that kb entry:
> https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7017905 The client user is
> checking his build number at the moment, we will see if that article
> matches the problem.


Thanks for the update. Please let us know if that was the problem.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Hi,

we have a higher build number: client 125534 and server 124595

Log entries for caching-mode:
08:31:47 3CB9 Processing update: settings (bag) record (<username>)
08:31:47 3CB9 Processing update: settings (bag) record (<username>)
08:31:48 3CB9 *** NEW APP CONNECTION, Tbl Entry=127, Check ID=1481053268
08:31:48 3CB9 C/S Login Windows Net Id=<userid> ::GW Id=<username> :: 10.xxx.xxx.104
08:31:48 3CB9 Error: An error occurred in the SSPI layer that does not otherwise


Would be nice if, but that wasn't the solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Am 23.02.2017 um 13:26 schrieb dr disk:
>
> Hi,
>
> we have a higher build number: client 125534 and server 124595
>
> Log entries for caching-mode:
>> 08:31:47 3CB9 Processing update: settings (bag) record (<username>)
>> 08:31:47 3CB9 Processing update: settings (bag) record (<username>)
>> 08:31:48 3CB9 *** NEW APP CONNECTION, Tbl Entry=127, Check
>> ID=1481053268
>> 08:31:48 3CB9 C/S Login Windows Net Id=<userid> ::GW Id=<username> ::
>> 10.xxx.xxx.104
>> 08:31:48 3CB9 Error: An error occurred in the SSPI layer that does not
>> otherwise
>>

>
> Would be nice if, but that wasn't the solution.
>
>

Tell us more about your setup pls. What OS does GW run on, how are the
clients connecting from a network POV when in caching mode (internet,
locally, via name or IP?) And does the error message really go on
precisely like in the TID you mentioned?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Hm, sorry - a log line was truncated. Here it is with a reference to the D091 error code.

Error: An error occurred in the SSPI layer that does not otherwise map to GroupWise error code [D091] in _WpeGssAcquireCredentials (Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information/No error)


Some facts about the installation: GroupWise is running on SLES11.4 with OES 11.3 Servers. Users can either use dns or the ip to connect to the servers. The user with that problem is located at a other location. This location is connected via ipsec vpn over mpls and radio (just a few kilometers away). The user tries both ip and dns, it works in online mode and all the other 150 users at that location have no problems working in caching mode.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

In article <dr_disk.7ub9go@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Dr disk wrote:
> I'm using the groupwise 14.2.1 client. In online mode all works very
> well. But if I switch to caching mode groupwise said there is a
> connection problem to the server.


Have you tried having this user run caching mode on another PC?
Have another user run caching mode on this PC and profile?
These while help direct us where to look deeper

Which version of Windows is this client on?


Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
“i’ve sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Hi,

Perhaps check, in the GroupWise Admin Console, the client security settings for anything there - it could be that SSO or something like that is enabled for this particular user and it's not playing nicely. Also what type of authentication are you using e.g. GroupWise, LDAP against eDir, LDAP against AD?

Please let us know,

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Hi,

I've reproduced this error:

07:14:44 9E59 Attempting token authentication for user LauraB (LauraB)
07:14:44 9E59 Error: An error occurred in the SSPI layer that does not otherwise map to GroupWise error code [D091] in _WpeGssAcquireCredentials (gss_acquire_cred=>(0xd0000, 0x0))


This is when Keyshield SSO is enabled in the client options in the Admin Console. However it does not prevent the caching mailbox from being created. Perhaps something else is at play here? Maybe it's time to do a LAN trace to see what the actual traffic is doing.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Connection problem in caching mode

Hi,


Keyshield SSO was already disabled. Also I have compared all client settings between the user with the problem and one without: I found no differences.

We have made the following tests:
- User A at PC A: the reported problem.
- User B at PC A: No problems in caching mode
- User A at PC B: the same problem in caching mode.

GroupWise uses eDir as authentication backend, windows uses its own AD. There is no connection between eDir and AD.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.