Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Console One on VMWare Workstation 9 Windows XP Host

I haven't done too much investigation into how widespread this might be or if there is an issue for other versions of VMWare besides Workstation but I wanted to get the info out to the public about what I discovered this morning.

If you have a Windows XP guest in VMWare 9 (I have 9.01 exactly), then the VMWare tools for the guest will break Console One. I've been able to duplicate this on multiple guest VMs and it is the same result each time. I'm thinking that one of the new drivers is likely the culprit but again I haven't tested beyond making my own work.

The symptom of this was a grey C1 screen that never finishes loading. The window can be closed using the X in the corner. Any subsequent attempts to load the app until the next restart resulted in the display going all black around the grey C1 window with things being redrawn as you mouse over them.

I hope this saves someone some time banging their head against the wall!

--Alisia
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

princea;2230228 wrote:
I haven't done too much investigation into how widespread this might be or if there is an issue for other versions of VMWare besides Workstation but I wanted to get the info out to the public about what I discovered this morning.

If you have a Windows XP guest in VMWare 9 (I have 9.01 exactly), then the VMWare tools for the guest will break Console One. I've been able to duplicate this on multiple guest VMs and it is the same result each time. I'm thinking that one of the new drivers is likely the culprit but again I haven't tested beyond making my own work.

The symptom of this was a grey C1 screen that never finishes loading. The window can be closed using the X in the corner. Any subsequent attempts to load the app until the next restart resulted in the display going all black around the grey C1 window with things being redrawn as you mouse over them.

I wonder if this TID Support | ConsoleOne hangs on launch also applies to virtual XP's.

Can you try the "funny" resolution mentioned in the TID, it seems to resolve the issue in a virtual Linux environment?

Thomas
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This problem isn't intermittent. It happens every time. I tried the resolution in the TID you mentioned and it didn't make a difference. If I have time I might play around with the tools install to see if it's the display driver. I'll post any new information I come up with.

--Alisia
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I did a snapshot and installed the VMware tools again. This time I did a custom install and skipped the SVGA driver. After a reboot, Console One still works!

--Alisia
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

princea;2230246 wrote:
I did a snapshot and installed the VMware tools again. This time I did a custom install and skipped the SVGA driver. After a reboot, Console One still works!

Cool, thx for sharing the information..

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just more info for folks browsing.

I've been running Consoleone in vMware workstation for about 3 years
now, with tools installed. Never seen any specific C1 issues, but I'm
not using 9 yet either. Currently running 8.0.2.

On 11/14/2012 7:56 AM, princea wrote:
>
> I haven't done too much investigation into how widespread this might be
> or if there is an issue for other versions of VMWare besides Workstation
> but I wanted to get the info out to the public about what I discovered
> this morning.
>
> If you have a Windows XP guest in VMWare 9 (I have 9.01 exactly), then
> the VMWare tools for the guest will break Console One. I've been able
> to duplicate this on multiple guest VMs and it is the same result each
> time. I'm thinking that one of the new drivers is likely the culprit
> but again I haven't tested beyond making my own work.
>
> The symptom of this was a grey C1 screen that never finishes loading.
> The window can be closed using the X in the corner. Any subsequent
> attempts to load the app until the next restart resulted in the display
> going all black around the grey C1 window with things being redrawn as
> you mouse over them.
>
> I hope this saves someone some time banging their head against the
> wall!
>
>

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

princea;2230228 wrote:

I wish I'd found this earlier, my head hurts from banging it against the wall! I finally figured this out myself and searched to see if I was the only one having this issue. I can confirm that it is the v9 VMware Tools that break it, v8 tools work fine. To build on princea's solution, installing without the SVGA driver does work, but you can also install the SVGA driver and turn the Hardware acceleration down to the third setting over from the left - "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations, as well as all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations." Works like a charm and ConsoleOne is more responsive than it used to be with the v8 VMware tools SVGA driver.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

princea;2230228 wrote:

JESUS H. CHRIST !!!!

It didn't save me from banging my head into a wall, but I'm glad I finally figured it out !!!

Thanks for this post !
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Further update. vMWare Workstation 9.0.2 Build 1031769 running an XP
guest with Tools version 8.8.2 build 590212, does not appear to do
exhibit the problem described here. ConslowOne works fine.

Basically, I just upgraded to the latest workstation build and didn't
update the tools in my guest.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.