Highlighted
RLMILLIES Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Creating new post office / Agent on new server

I am currently running all of my GroupWise 2014 system on the a SLES 11 SP3 server with EXT3 drives. I am needing to move my domain and post office onto an NSS drive for my backup software to be able to restore back on a per user/message basis. So I have created a new OES 11 SP2 server and have created an NSS drive to hold my new domain and Post office.

Since I am not well versed at OES / GroupWise I thought it would be easier to create a secondary domain and Post office on my new NSS drive and move everyone onto the new post office and remove the old post office after everything has been moved.

However, I have created the secondary domain and it is linked and open but I can not startup a new post office linked to the secondary domain. I get the following error:
*com.novell.gw.directory.exception.GwCommunicationException: An error occurred modifying an attribute value. Path not found (0x8209); remaining name 'nssdom.post-nss'

What could be causing this?

Sincerely,
Ken

Labels (1)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Creating new post office / Agent on new server

RLMILLIES;2339717 wrote:
Since I am not well versed at OES / GroupWise I thought it would be easier to create a secondary domain and Post office on my new NSS drive and move everyone onto the new post office and remove the old post office after everything has been moved.

Hi Ken,

The specific error you posted does not directly ring a bell.

I would however like to point out that moving the PO would be a much quicker, less intensive and possibly disruptive option vs the move of accounts from one PO to another.

How many accounts are you needing to move in your current scenario?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
RLMILLIES Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I need to move 23 people from the old post office to the new one. I would move everyone on a weekend when the office was closed.

Sincerely,
Ken

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

RLMILLIES;2339787 wrote:
I need to move 23 people from the old post office to the new one. I would move everyone on a weekend when the office was closed.

Ok, if you are intent on moving the user accounts... the error you are seeing with the second PO setup could have something to to with;
1) the poa not having enough rights to access (read/write) the PO database location,
2) the path to the files for the PO is not set right in the poa configuration file , or
3) you have used a file path with names longer than the 8.3 format.

As for the first point, are you running the GroupWise service as root, or have you selected it to run as a specific user?

I'd personally opt to move the whole PO to the new server and reconfigure the agents to have the PO run on that new server... but seeing you say you are not very experienced with GroupWise, I'm reluctant to "push"/guide you to do that.

the differences in configuring 2014 vs previous version of GroupWise could also make it harder to guide you through the process of moving the GroupWise PO to a new server. It's not really that big a task, but it is important that you do feel comfortable enough with these GroupWise tasks before "just doing it".

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2339857 wrote:
Ok, if you are intent on moving the user accounts... the error you are seeing with the second PO setup could have something to to with;
1) the poa not having enough rights to access (read/write) the PO database location,
2) the path to the files for the PO is not set right in the poa configuration file , or
3) you have used a file path with names longer than the 8.3 format.

As for the first point, are you running the GroupWise service as root, or have you selected it to run as a specific user?

I'd personally opt to move the whole PO to the new server and reconfigure the agents to have the PO run on that new server... but seeing you say you are not very experienced with GroupWise, I'm reluctant to "push"/guide you to do that.

the differences in configuring 2014 vs previous version of GroupWise could also make it harder to guide you through the process of moving the GroupWise PO to a new server. It's not really that big a task, but it is important that you do feel comfortable enough with these GroupWise tasks before "just doing it".

Cheers,
Willem

I understand.

Although I am with you on the rights issue, just not sure what rights are missing.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this post, I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

kheinz;2339939 wrote:
Although I am with you on the rights issue, just not sure what rights are missing.

If you are running the agents as root (which is the default) rights should not be a problem.

You might get a better view on what's wrong with the PO config by trying to start it manually and using the --show switch.

See : https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014/gw2014_guide_manpages/data/man_agt_gwpoa.html

So that would be something like "/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwpoa @poa-config-filename.poa --show"

Hopefully that will give a more descriptive message of what is wrong or missing.

And you are most welcome, that's what the forums are for.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

magic31;2339951 wrote:
If you are running the agents as root (which is the default) rights should not be a problem.

You might get a better view on what's wrong with the PO config by trying to start it manually and using the --show switch.

See : https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014/gw2014_guide_manpages/data/man_agt_gwpoa.html

So that would be something like "/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwpoa @poa-config-filename.poa --show"

Hopefully that will give a more descriptive message of what is wrong or missing.

And you are most welcome, that's what the forums are for.

Cheers,
Willem

Some of the problems that are occurring are that when I tell it to make a post office, it will make all the directories but will not make any config files.

So basically it makes the following folders:
gwpost
->offiles
->ofmsg
->ofuser
->ofwork
->wpcsin
->wpcsout

But all of the directories are empty.

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also in the gwadmin-service.log it has a really long error but I am only clipping a small portion:
2014-11-19 11:33:42 GwExceptionMapper [FATAL] com.novell.gw.directory.exception.GwCommunicationException: An error occurred modifying an attribute value. Path not found (0x8209); remaining name 'nssdom.gwpost'
com.novell.gw.api.common.DomainIOException: com.novell.gw.directory.exception.GwCommunicationException: An error occurred modifying an attribute value. Path not found (0x8209); remaining name 'nssdom.gwpost' at com.novell.gw.api.domain.DomainConnection.createSubcontext(DomainConnection.java:564)
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

kheinz;2339955 wrote:
Some of the problems that are occurring are that when I tell it to make a post office, it will make all the directories but will not make any config files.

So basically it makes the following folders:
gwpost
->offiles
->ofmsg
->ofuser
->ofwork
->wpcsin
->wpcsout

But all of the directories are empty.

Sincerely,
Ken

The PO (sub)folder(s) will get filled further on the poa's first successful start-up. But it could be you are missing some of the mandatory base files.

I've have had an issue when creating a secondary PO on a 2014 system that could be related. I did get around that but it required some manual intervention on my part (and deleting and recreating the PO).

It could be a better experience for you to have Novell remote in (or a consultant that you can fallback on) and let them have a look at the exact state. If you have a current maintenance contract for GroupWise, an SR with Novell should be an option without any extra cost.

To keep on diagnosing the problem here, could you please list the output of the files you have in the PO directory? Do this with the long list output;
#ll -hR /path-to-PO/PO

Also it would be good to have the error you see on the poa when running it with the --show switch. I'm expecting that will give another more descriptive error we can work with.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for continuing to help me on this issue. This is the out of the ll command.

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 offiles
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 ofmsg
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 ofuser
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 ofwork
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Nov 20 09:03 Postofficepath
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 wpcsin
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 wpcsout

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd1
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd2
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd3
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd4
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd5
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd6
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd7
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd8
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fd9
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fda
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fdb
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fdc
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fdd
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fde
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 fdf

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd0:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd1:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd2:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd3:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd4:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd5:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd6:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd7:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd8:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fd9:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fda:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fdb:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fdc:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fdd:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fde:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/offiles/fdf:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/ofmsg:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/ofuser:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/ofwork:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 ofdirect

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/ofwork/ofdirect:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsin:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 1
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 2
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 3
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 4
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 5
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 6
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 7

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsin/0:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsin/1:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsin/2:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsin/3:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsin/4:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsin/5:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsin/6:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsin/7:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 ofs

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout/ofs:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 1
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 2
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 3
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 4
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 5
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 6
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4.0K Nov 20 08:41 7

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout/ofs/0:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout/ofs/1:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout/ofs/2:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout/ofs/3:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout/ofs/4:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout/ofs/5:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout/ofs/6:
total 0

/media/nss/NSS_GWISE/groupwise/postoff/wpcsout/ofs/7:
total 0
0 Likes
kheinz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

After running the --show command it shows the following:

A required file or directory is missing (DF10) wphost.db

Sincerely,
Ken
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

kheinz;2340029 wrote:
After running the --show command it shows the following:

A required file or directory is missing (DF10) wphost.db

Sincerely,
Ken

Yep, you are indeed missing the essential files. You could try rebuilding the PO database, and that should get you the wphost.db. I don't think that will be enough to get the poa running though.

Recreating the PO could be the way to go, but again getting someone to assist you that can have a look at the setup (hands-on) seems wiser to me to make sure the new PO base is solid.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.